DIY: Ford Racing short shift kit install

bonehead

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 18, 2012
Houston, TX
Note to self. Don't attempt DIY's again. I don't ask patients to fix their own broken hips, I should leave car stuff to the professionals.
Few points.
Do some stretching beforehand. Better yet, get a contortionist to do the job. Talk about some awkward positions to get a lot of these screws and body parts off and out of the car.
The e-brake bezel does NOT just lift out. I had to use a putty knife covered with tape to work out a corner.
The ball joints just don't make any sense to me. I pulled with all my might for a good 30-45 minutes on the driver's side cable (mind you, I'm not small. 215, 6'2). Finally took one last pull, definitely not as firm as some of my other efforts and it finally came free. Same thing for the one under the shifter. Whatever. I was just happy they came free.
The ball joint retaining clips are TINY. Add needlenose pliers to remove and reinsert these to the list of needed tools.
When removing the shifter bracket, remove the washers first before attempting to pull it off. Thought I could take everything off as a whole. It just wouldn't come free for me otherwise.

I installed Andrew's shifter bezel and e-brake boot. Good idea to put the boot on while the console is off.

I still can't get the Mac cover back on. One of the screw holes will just not line up. Had to give up and will try it again tomorrow.

As for the shifter itself, I can engage all the gears, but it has a good deal more play in neutral than the stock shifter. The stock one would only allow me to 'jiggle' between neutral and to the left between 1st and 2nd. Now, it goes left and right. The return from 5th and 6th into neutral also doesn't feel like it springs back. Seems like it will go to the detent position between 5th and 6th and I have to manually move it to the left to get it to sit in neutral. Not positive this is the case as I only played with it for a few minutes before I had to call it quits. I'm 100% positive I reinstalled the ball joints and retaining clips before I put the console back because I knew I did NOT want to come back to that. Any thoughts/ideas on this?

SSRob

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Oct 9, 2012
Oklahoma
Sorry, but hearing this from a Dr is just kinda funny. :) I didn't get around to trying to install mine...but I assure you my experience installing my x-pipe was similar. LOL

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
SF Bay Area in California
To get a better shifter feel you probably have to adjust the shift cables. Since you put the center console back on, you should do the adjustment in the rear where the cables connect to the transaxle. Do the left to right adjustment first, if you go too far one way you will not be able to get reverse (I found out the hard way). I hope you have enough adjustment in the rear or the center console will have to come out again. :ack

As for the back problems that is what orthopedic docs are for, they love it. On a serious note you are right stretching first helps, and taking frequent breaks and not rushing helps. If you start getting tired or feel any tightness stop and rest a day. As you know that's what a doctor would tell you.

I always have problem getting the sub-cover back on. Mine has been off for months. I have been told by Shadowman to put all three screws into one side 1st then do the other side makes it easier. You have to pull and compress the sound insulation to get the other side in. I will find out in a month or two if it works.

BTW I am impressed with your finger strength, I try for about 10 mins to pull them off and wasn't getting any stronger, so I used tools.

Last edited:

bonehead

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 18, 2012
Houston, TX
Sorry, but hearing this from a Dr is just kinda funny. :) I didn't get around to trying to install mine...but I assure you my experience installing my x-pipe was similar. LOL

And a surgeon, no less. Kinda funny, pathetic, sad, all at the same time.:)

To get a better shifter feel you probably have to adjust the shift cables. Since you put the center console back on, you should do the adjustment in the rear where the cables connect to the transaxle. Do the left to right adjustment first, if you go too far one way you will not be able to get reverse (I found out the hard way). I hope you have enough adjustment in the rear or the center console will have to come out again. :ack

As for the back problems that is what orthopedic docs are for, they love it. On a serious note you are right stretching first helps, and taking frequent breaks and not rushing helps. If you start getting tired or feel any tightness stop and rest a day. As you know that's what a doctor would tell you.

I always have problem getting the sub-cover back on. Mine has been off for months. I have been told by Shadowman to put all three screws into one side 1st then do the other side makes it easier. You have to pull and compress the sound insulation to get the other side in. I will find out in a month or two if it works.

BTW I am impressed with your finger strength, I try for about 10 mins to pull them off and wasn't getting any stronger, so I used tools.

Gah. Not what I wanted to hear. Removing the diffuser and getting under the car is not a real attractive alternative to removing the console again. Any danger in driving the car with the little neutral slop as long as I can engage all the gears?

I tried everything with the Mac cover. Installed one side first, alternated sides with each screw. The driver's side bottom corner just won't sit flush enough to allow the screw to engage. Has to be the rubber sound insulation blocking it somehow. Just haven't figured it out yet. Wish my 2 year old daughter had the dexterity to fix it. She's the perfect height and wouldn't have to crouch in a low back-destroying position to get down there:frown

maxemus

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 25, 2007
Miami, Florida
Ed
Thank God you attempted this project before I did. No way I would have the patience to get this done.
Off to the professional for this project

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
Removing the diffuser and getting under the car is not a real attractive alternative to removing the console again. Any danger in driving the car with the little neutral slop as long as I can engage all the gears?

Easy, it is right on top of the transaxle. You can see it when you open the clamshell. Have your daughter wiggle the shifter and see what is moving.

bonehead

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 18, 2012
Houston, TX
Easy, it is right on top of the transaxle. You can see it when you open the clamshell. Have your daughter wiggle the shifter and see what is moving.

Oh really? I thought this process involved removal of belly pans and getting under the car.
As for my daughter, she's cute as a button but not really helpful in getting anything done except maybe putting footprints on the seats:facepalm:

FBA

GT Owner
Dec 5, 2010
31.022340° N / 44.846191° W
I haven't done wrenching in a long time - except for minor stuff here and there. I figured I'd arrived at the point in my life where I can pay to have it done properly, and let someone else f!ck it up - LOL. At least it's there issue to deal with - not mine. I have had pretty good success so far dealing with a performance shop that builds race cars...they've done a good 5-6 vehicles for me in the past few years and have had no issues. I spend less time cleanin' and more time leanin'! (Old biker sayin')

Xcentric

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 9, 2012
Myakka City, Florida
I successfully replaced the clamshell struts in about one minute today, but then found the new ones are so strong I couldn't shut the clamshell. lol. That is about the limit for me these days, even though I had no reluctance to put a wrench on anything in my youth.

If I was a surgeon, I wouldn't even shake hands with anyone!

You know what is fun? Drinking coffee and eating donuts while watching the GT Guys do this stuff.

Last edited:

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
Oh really? I thought this process involved removal of belly pans and getting under the car.
As for my daughter, she's cute as a button but not really helpful in getting anything done except maybe putting footprints on the seats:facepalm:

She's old enough, just tell her to keep moving the shift lever. :lol

nota4re

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 15, 2006
I dont think encouraging self-proclaimed, average-skilled GT owners to do their own shifter cable adjustments is prudent.

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
I dont think encouraging self-proclaimed, average-skilled GT owners to do their own shifter cable adjustments is prudent.

I sorry you are right. For 99% of FGT owners on the west coast it is best to ship the car to Cooltech LLC.

http://www.cooltechllc.com

In Midwest or east

http://www.thegtguy.com/

What was I thinking that someone that went medical school and became a surgeon could adjust a shifter cable. You need years of grease under the fingernails before tackling that.

bonehead

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 18, 2012
Houston, TX

Too late Kendall:) I got home a little early today, did some stretches:), and got back at it. Decided to give Clinton's suggestion a try and opened the clamshell to look at the cables at the transaxle side. How in the world anyone can reach those without taking off the clam, removing the airbox AND the muffler is beyond me. Even then it would be a stretch. Too much important stuff in the way. Back to the cables on the gearshift side.

Fortunately (or unfortunately) the Mac cover was still off, so that's one thing I didn't have to do again!
I got the console off a bit faster today. Removed the shifter cables without taking off the bracket (not easy). The ball joints do come loose MUCH easier after they've been removed once before. Couldn't get the lock nut loose on the center cable, but fortunately, all I needed to do was adjust the driver's side one which controls the lateral travel of the shifter. Shortened it up and retightened the nut. Put it back together (with the retaining pins), and tried it all out again before I reinstalled the console. Voila! No more neutral slop. Once I was sure the shifter was the way I liked it, I replaced the console and sub. The Mac cover FINALLY went back into place after a lot of cursing. Now.....I can't get Andrew's shifter bezel to work anymore. Arrghhhhhhhhh!!!! Back at it again later tonight:( At least I got all the 'big' stuff done.

Pic of the carnage

Blurry pic of the retaining pin, in case anyone was wondering what it looked like out of the ball joint

What was I thinking that someone that went medical school and became a surgeon could adjust a shifter cable. You need years of grease under the fingernails before tackling that.

Never assume. There are some scary surgeons out there. But I prevailed against machine this time. Won't be a next time so I can keep my record of 1-0:)

Last edited:

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
You did great. As in all things you learn by getting burned. I hope I am not giving you too much encouragement. As for the shifter adjustments in the rear I haven't had a muffler for years and am not sure if it blocks access to the cables. The airbox is real easy to remove. Loosen the two 10mm bolts on the ends, remove the MAP cable, loosen the air bellows and it comes right off. Much easier than remove the central tunnel again.

bonehead

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 18, 2012
Houston, TX
You did great. As in all things you learn by getting burned. I hope I am not giving you too much encouragement. As for the shifter adjustments in the rear I haven't had a muffler for years and am not sure if it blocks access to the cables. The airbox is real easy to remove. Loosen the two 10mm bolts on the ends, remove the MAP cable, loosen the air bellows and it comes right off. Much easier than remove the central tunnel again.

Yup. I have the stock anvil/muffler. No way to get down to the transaxle from up top without removing it.
And thanks again for all the help/advice on this thread. I really appreciate it! As for giving too much encouragement, no worries there. I won't be doing anything like this on my own again:cheers

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
Yup. I have the stock anvil/muffler. No way to get down to the transaxle from up top without removing it.
And thanks again for all the help/advice on this thread. I really appreciate it! As for giving too much encouragement, no worries there. I won't be doing anything like this on my own again:cheers

I fully understand the back issues. I refuse to do any gardening type work that involves shovels. When I was almost 20 years younger and dumber, I was adding French drains to my lawn that got soggy in the winter, every time I dug for about 20 mins my back would go out for a week or two. The project never got done, mosquitoes were breeding in the trenches my wife wasn't happy. I hired two "pros" they did in 1 day what I couldn't in 2 months.

I also threw my back out once waxing rocker panels of my car! Funny how the back works move one way wrong, bang its out, but if you lift the right way, you can move hundreds of pounds with no ill affects at all.

RALPHIE

GT Owner
Mar 1, 2007
...Blurry pic of the retaining pin, in case anyone was wondering what it looked like out of the ball joint....

Looks like a standard e-clip....

bonehead

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 18, 2012
Houston, TX
Looks like a standard e-clip....

No, but the two gold clips that hold the shifter cables down are more like e-clips. Not sure what you call this??

Kingman

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 11, 2006
Surf City, USA
BTW - don't F' Up the ball joint (which is surprisingly easy to do) as they are a B!tch to source. Ask me how I know.

You can't purchase the ball joint alone as there isn't a part #. Ford wants you to purchase the entire shifter cable.

ROCK

GT Owner
Jul 10, 2006
Miami
Good post, now I only need the short shifter. Can anyone please tell me where to buy one ?