John

...even if it's dropped into water!

Fubar

Totally ****** Up
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Aug 2, 2006
Dallas, TX
Electronic theft would be my biggest concern. Somebody with a scanner who could just walk past you and get information. I like the concept of carrying less garbage tho. You could reduce your payload to a money clip and an ID.

Mullet

FORD GT OWNER
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 21, 2008
Houston Texas
Electronic theft would be my biggest concern. Somebody with a scanner who could just walk past you and get information. I like the concept of carrying less garbage tho. You could reduce your payload to a money clip, an ID and a fat stogie in your mouth.

fixed that for ya.

H

HHGT

I don't think we'll be able to avoid "Nervous Technology" for much longer. Here in CA you can now take a photo of a check and email deposit it....

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State
Wallets have worked for us for centuries w/o suddenly breaking down or quitting on us. They don't need batteries or recharging (well, except for their contents). And, if we fall in a lake (or whatever body of water) - so what? AND we KNOW when they or their contents are stolen because they're physically MISSING.

So, 'nutz' to this electronic gizmo.

Last edited:

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
SF Bay Area in California
1984!

Minority Report!

Just think about all the tracking and marketing information that can be gathered on you by having your phone do "everything".

You can run, but you can't hide!

H

HHGT

1984!

Minority Report!

Just think about all the tracking and marketing information that can be gathered on you by having your phone do "everything".

Your thinking Low Jack for Mankind...

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State
Your thinking Low Jack for Mankind...

'Already THERE as far as most cells are concerned...

Nardo GT

Jul 15, 2006
Texas
1984!

Minority Report!

Ah, George Orwell.

RV King

GT Owner
Mar 20, 2007
Laguna Beach, CA
Don't worry Sam, Apple will perfect this technology. :biggrin

H

HHGT

Don't worry Sam, Apple will perfect this technology. :biggrin

Its called iTunes & App Store

dbk

The Favor Factory™
Staff member
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jul 30, 2005
Metro Detroit
This shouldn't even be news. South Korea has been doing this for years. It was only a matter of time before it got everywhere else.

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
This shouldn't even be news. South Korea has been doing this for years. It was only a matter of time before it got everywhere else.

Sadly I think you are right.

PL510*Jeff

Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Nov 3, 2005
Renton, Washington

However, most Koreans, if not all, only keep enough money in their "E accounts" or bank accounts to pay their bills,etc.

As most all such accounts are subject to being taxed by the goverment.

There's a truly amazing "undeground /back room" banking system there.

I went in the rear of a local clothes laundry to do a USD to Won exchange with my Korean sister-in-law. There were many, many Bushell baskets full of bills, and the exchange rate was more than 15% better than the official rate at the local Bank or Amex office across the street. This was in the late "80's.

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
I went in the rear of a local clothes laundry to do a USD to Won exchange with my Korean sister-in-law. There were many, many Bushell baskets full of bills, and the exchange rate was more than 15% better than the official rate at the local Bank or Amex office across the street. This was in the late "80's.

It is rumored that Sam will be taking orders for gold using his iphone and and fulfilling them out of the trunk of his new BMW.

dbk

The Favor Factory™
Staff member
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jul 30, 2005
Metro Detroit
Sadly I think you are right.

I don't see why it would be a bad thing. As long as, as Jeff mentioned, you only keep enough money in the linked account to pay for small purchases, it should act as a convenience. You're a pretty big fool if you keep all your sheckles in a checking account and roll around with your debit card and some checks. :lol: On the other hand, if I drop my wallet with my Amex in it, there's a high probability that someone could charge $30k in a few hours and Amex wouldn't flag it, as long as they weren't being stupid. Positives and negatives.

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
I don't see why it would be a bad thing. As long as, as Jeff mentioned, you only keep enough money in the linked account to pay for small purchases, it should act as a convenience. You're a pretty big fool if you keep all your sheckles in a checking account and roll around with your debit card and some checks. :lol: On the other hand, if I drop my wallet with my Amex in it, there's a high probability that someone could charge $30k in a few hours and Amex wouldn't flag it, as long as they weren't being stupid. Positives and negatives.

Can't get into all of it, or it may get into the P word. But the more you do with electronic devices the more that is known about you! Using a phone with GPS to do transaction links a time, place and person to the transaction. The information is used for sales and marketing purposes today, but in the future can be used for much more. A lot of this is done today with credit cards and store discount cards but much more can be done in the future. Just think of a world where we all must use a chip to do any monetary transaction and where an itemized list of any and all purchases are available to whomever will pay for it, or by law to the government.

Today those with car transponders are tracked by the highway system, so where your car is on the road at a given time is stored on some disk drive. That information can in the future be used to give traffic tickets or in accident litigation. Much better than traffic cams and the system is already in place. Just mandate all cars must have a RFID chip and the system is ready to go.

My concerns are not the safety of the transaction, but more one of privacy.