Different Gap size for Half-shafts

Gimbal

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Jan 11, 2007
Queenstown, New Zealand
Does anyone else seem to have the same problem with having the gap sizes so different? If it weren't for the axle problems I probably wouldn't think anything of it. This large gap makes me feel like that side is loose and ready to break. Only 850 miles on a 2006 Tungsten. Driven fairly normal, no track time yet.
Does anyone know whether there is ever any real axial load on those two small screws and thick washer that hold the hub on during driving and cornering? Seems to me during sharp cornering or heavy up and down movements that the axle shaft would tend to be loaded axially. And if that is true the two small screws seem insufficient. Not sure how it all works mechanically.

I had to remove these photos to make room to submit another photo to another thread. The gaps were about 1/8" passenger side and 1/16" driver side.

Last edited:
H

HHGT

Both my GTs are the same exact way. Not sure why?

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State
gap

The "gap" on mine is EVEN on both sides ...and tha gap appears to be about 1/2 what the gap is on the passenger side of your car. ( I just "eyeballed it" ...didn't measure it.)
There also appears to be a very thin coat of "axle grease" visible around the 'shaft at that gap. That's been there since "day one" and has never changed in amount, color, or appearance. 'Never been any "dampness" on parts around there either. ('Car is an '06, has less than 300 miles on it ...'owned it since July.)

'Pockets

Last edited:
Aug 25, 2006
Mine appear to be similar to your passenger side on both sides

Just what I needed was one more thing to think about....

Shadowman

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State
Mine appear to be similar to your passenger side on both sides

Just what I needed was one more thing to think about....

Shadowman

Aaaaaaaaaah! You know you LUV it, Bill!

'Pockets

Aug 25, 2006
Aaaaaaaaaah! You know you LUV it, Bill!

'Pockets

This one caught me off guard as such I was at a loss for my normal litany of comments.......

Shadowman

Neilda

GT Owner
Oct 19, 2005
London, UK
My 05 GT is exactly the same as yours (from the photographs). It's been that way from day one.

I've had the half shaft bolts swapped around by Roush in the UK.

I'm not sure it's a problem to worry about to be honest....

B O N Y

MODERATOR & FGT OWNER
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 5, 2005
Fresno, Ca.
Mine are the same on both sides.

californiacuda

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Oct 21, 2005
If the caps were not well balanced wouldn't the unbalance (as the axles rotate) be amplified as the distance increase, moving outward toward the wheels? Might that amplified unbalance (which I think, makes its way back to the half shaft/trans axle connection as more strength demand) be part of the reason why the bolts are having issues?

Ripper 02

Permanent Vacation
Aug 16, 2006
Texas
Gimbal,

Mine is the EXACT same as pictured....

I assume this has no effect on anything...

Gimbal

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Jan 11, 2007
Queenstown, New Zealand
Thanks for the comments. I am going to hook up a small video camera looking directly at the hub and go for a spin to see if there is movement of the hub during driving. I'll post my results. Seems there should be axial movement of the hub during driving.

H

HHGT

Excellent idea.

davisp

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Feb 18, 2006
New Jersey
I have an early build 2005 and my gaps look exactly like the gaps in your picture. I have 2500 miles on the car and so far no issues. PD

TEXAS GT

2006 Twin Turbo
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
My '05 was exactly like yours until I took it in for a pre-emptive replacement of the bolts. My bolts and washer looked fine (3000 miles) and now the passenger side is a little tighter but still not like the drivers side. I'd say it's designed like that and don't worry about it.

Gimbal

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Jan 11, 2007
Queenstown, New Zealand
I rigged up a video camera pointing at the wider gap side (passenger side) and went for a spin. Basically I saw no movement of the hub, the gap did not get any larger or smaller. If the two bolts were loose I would expect some movement. Since some other owners also have odd gap sizes this is probably normal for some reason.
From an engineering standpoint it makes no sense to have the two bolts tightend up against an aluminum (?) thick washer, causing it to bow and having the head of the bolts dig into the thick washer. Proper torque would not be possible this way. A hardened thick washer and washers on each of the two bolts makes more sense. And of course saftey wire the two bolts.
I plan on buying replacement bolts from a company called "UNBRAKO". There I can get probably the strongest and best replacement bolts with saftey wire holes already in the screw head. Once I figure out the exact bolt part number I will post it for anyone interested. I'll make sure the bolts do not have threads all the way up to the head either! What a pain! I intend on replacing the bolts myself instead of trying to find a competant Ford dealer. I will document every step and post if anyone would be interested.

fjpikul

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 4, 2006
Belleville, IL
Gimbal, that would be excellent and very kind of you. Thank you for your input.

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State
Roger that!!!!!!!!!

MAD IN NC

Proud Owner/ BOD blah bla
Mark IV Lifetime
Feb 14, 2006
North Carolina
Gimbal - thanks for the extra effort. We look forward to new info based on the source of bolts etc...

In support of your commitment - enclosed is the TSB with the procedure to tighten the flange bolts, half shaft bolts etc....

Attachments

• TSB 06-23-08 bolts.doc
    50 KB · Views: 65

Gimbal

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Jan 11, 2007
Queenstown, New Zealand
OK, I went to a local large Ford dealer to order the thrust washer upgraded replacement kit. Turns out the p/n is 4G7Z-7B368-BA. The BA means the upgrade to better washer. I am not sure if the bolts are better. I get the kit next week. I am still looking for the best replacement screws. I am considering 12point, high strength with drilled head, not fully threaded. This should leave room for saftey wire too. I'll post the bolt p/n when I find it. I may have to drill the head myself, not sure yet. I will also do the TSB06-23-08 while I have it all a part.
The only "certified" GT mechanic was unaware of this issue and could not find any info about it. Seems strange I know more than he does about this. This is part of the reason I plan on doing the fix myself.
I also ordered all the things to complete the TSB also, bolts, threadlock, remover, prep and gasket maker. $351 so far.
FYI they had 4 new GT's on the floor, tungsten, classic, and two others. It's tempting to get a spare one!

analogdesigner

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Nov 15, 2005
San Clemente, CA USA
Nice work!

Gimbal,

Visually, mine is identical to yours.

It's possible that there may be some rough correlation between the S/N on the transaxle and this condition. BTW, my car is an '05, VIN # 1877.

Most know that I am designing a whole new method for replacing the existing design, since there is no way to solve this design as-is. Right now I have three different designs that are undergoing rigerous design review. I hope that computer analysis can begin by this weekend.

If you are using the hardened washers, don't bother using safety wire or Loctite , since the heads just snap off anyway. If you have the original "soft" washers, safety wire will give you a little more "time to failure"...

Jay

www.gtsaver.com

http://www.fordgtforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=34