Did any of you buy your GT for reasons.....

ChipBeck

GT Owner
Staff member
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 13, 2006
Scottsdale, Arizona
.....other than desire for the car itself. I bet there are some good stories here. I have lusted after a GT40 since I was a kid but that's not the reason I bought my GT. I'm a single dad with a 14 year old son, my only child, who lost his mom when he was 1 year old. For the last 13 years I have spent most of my non-work life trying to build a happy and successful little boy. He loves 3 things, baseball, hunting, and exotic cars. We spend a lot of time involved in all 3. Charley plays on a traveling ball team year round, we hunt when the opportunity presents itself, and we work on our cars and attend auto events. The GT is like a camping trip for Charley and me. It's something we both enjoy and like baseball and hunting, it's an excuse for a 14 year old boy to spend some time with a not so cool 51 year old dad. That's the main reason I bought the car. An unexpected bonus was all the great people from around the country we have met. Great dinnertime stories told by forum members make for lifetime memories for a young man (and me too). Indy draws near and Charley and I will be there.

Other than, "I love the car", why did you buy your GT? I'd like to hear the story. So post up.

Chip

H

HHGT

.....other than desire for the car itself. I bet there are some good stories here. I have lusted after a GT40 since I was a kid but that's not the reason I bought my GT. I'm a single dad with a 14 year old son, my only child, who lost his mom when he was 1 year old. For the last 13 years I have spent most of my non-work life trying to build a happy and successful little boy. He loves 3 things, baseball, hunting, and exotic cars. We spend a lot of time involved in all 3. Charley plays on a traveling ball team year round, we hunt when the opportunity presents itself, and we work on our cars and attend auto events. The GT is like a camping trip for Charley and me. It's something we both enjoy and like baseball and hunting, it's an excuse for a 14 year old boy to spend some time with a not so cool 51 year old dad. That's the main reason I bought the car. An unexpected bonus was all the great people from around the country we have met. Great dinnertime stories told by forum members make for lifetime memories for a young man (and me too). Indy draws near and Charley and I will be there.

Other than, "I love the car", why did you buy your GT? I'd like to hear the story. So post up.

Chip

When I was 8 years old I saw the GT40 on TV - it was instant love. I told my Mom, one of these days I'm gonna get one. When I bought the car, I went to show it to her - she was very proud and happy - she's getting older and not in great health.

I also have 2 boys, 11 & 8 years old. They both love the Ford GT and never pass up the chance to go for a ride. My 8 year old wakes me up at 5 a.m. every now and then to go watch the sunset. Hanging out with my boys is complete happiness.:cheers

Waldo

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 7, 2005
Fort Worth, TX
Chip,

We might be cut from the same bolt of cloth. The Corps has given me the opportunity to do some pretty amazing things with a Harrier, but I think one of the biggest thrills I've ever had was driving my son to school the other day in the GT.

Both he and his sister insisted on helping me wash the GT before I had to head back to Japan. Ok, so it was a little nerve racking having a two and a four year old "help", but I wouldn't have wanted it any other way. It's memories like those that will be worth more than the car when all is said and done.

Best Regards,
Jason

Last edited:

FlorIdaho Chris

Yeah, I've got one.
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Back in the days when slot car tracks down at the local hobby shop were the norm, and races were held every Saturday, my first slot car was a Ford GT. White/Blue stripes and hood. Ever since then I have lusted for one. Not as good of a story as others, but that was the time the first seed was planted.

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State
Predictably I suppose, my reasons were a bit different.

Before Ford announced they would build the GT, I was trying to decide between the F-360 (later the 430) and the Gallardo for various reasons. THEN Ford dropped the "GT40" bombshell into the mix.

IMMEDIATELY I was hooked on the looks of the car - AND the thought I could now buy an AMERICAN "exotic" ("supercar" - whatever), and the money spent would, for the most part, stay HERE in the U.S.! Now, THAT would be cool!

So, I read everything I could find about the car ... and article after article in mag after mag stated that their particular road test showed the FGT was quicker & faster than either of the F or L cars I was considering... AND the FGT had an MSRP of "only" $150K to boot (if "only" is a word that can be used in the same sentence with $150K).

So, I reasoned it made no sense to pay MORE money to buy a SLOWER car ... and the wait for the FGT began.

When all the, "'gotta have it, 'gotta have it at any price", boys were all harvested by the dealers at $275 - $350K per person, the RUSH to buy tapered off, and the prices dropped down to earth, I dug up "the can" in the back yard & headed for the big city.

And, the rest, as they say, is history.

usmcfred

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Oct 26, 2006
Massachusetts
Ford had a "better idea" in 1972 when they hooked up with Alejandro DeTomaso and imported the Pantera with the mid-engined Ford 351 Cleveland V8 for 3 years. I bought one in '72 and notwithstanding all its quirks and compromises (sound familar?) it's been a great ride for all these years. Secondly, I always loved the styling of the GT 40 and its great LeMans triumphs, so when Ford rolled out the show car some 30 years after the Pantera, I said this is Ford's new "better idea" so I had to have one.

White with blue stripes was always my #1 choice as it's the quintessential US racing livery and of course, a well known color scheme from other previous notable Ford products, such as the original Shelby GT350 Mustang.

The FGT now sits next to the silver Pantera and although they are as different as vanilla and chocolate, I love to drive each of them. usmcfred

KMCBOSS

RED GT owner
Mark II Lifetime
Dec 3, 2006
Bremerton, Washington
When I was in seventh grade (1967) I saw a road test on the FORD GT MKIII in a magazine (Sports Car Life or Sports Car Graphic) - thought it was the coolest car in the world (I tore the article out of the magazine and still have it to this day). In 1967 the GT MKIII listed for 20K and Ford only made a handfull of them (7 comes to mind), and today they a worth well into seven figures. Fast forward 40 years and Ford decides to make the GT again - had to have one. Fortunately my wife understands but still had to buy her a new Shelby GT500 (she likes to drive also).

AZGT

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Dec 20, 2005
Scottsdale, AZ.
Walked in to Paradise Ford in Scottsdale during the 60's and saw a GT40 on the show room floor. I still remember seeing that car - it was amazing. And so was the price $17,500.00 :eek

Naturally, that put the bug in to own one. Then I would see two of them driving on the streets where I lived. One sat in a carport by a friends house. Looking back I guess I was lucky to see them on the street since they made so few.

Never really wanted to own an exotic or supercar (as in the F or L lines), but when I heard the GT was coming out, I told my wife it was a dream car.

She said buy it (good wife). Understand that we have recently moved in to a new house we built and have little furniture and lots of other stuff to do, but we do have a GT.

Hey - priorities :thumbsup

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State
... and have little furniture and lots of other stuff to do, but we do have a GT.

Hey - priorities :thumbsup

YEEEESSSSSSSSS!!!!!! :thumbsup :thumbsup :thumbsup

(Isn't it odd: a Vette in the mid/late 60's stickered at about 1/3 of what you mentioned the GT's sticker was then. And today the price ratio between a 'Vette and the FGT is pretty much exactly the same!:eek :lol )

Last edited:

Ripper 02

Permanent Vacation
Aug 16, 2006
Texas
Im probably alot younger than most on this board.. 33yo

I don't recall too much as a kid the history of the GT40.
I did know about the car , just never interested me too much
since it was so long ago.

I am a Ford Nut all the way !!! I just recently traded my pride and
joy 89' 5.0 Mustang ....:frown sad to see it go.. just too many projects.

Anyway, I do however remember when Bill Ford was up on stage when
the first prototype rolled out onto the stage.. Man was I instantly in love!!!
I then familiarized myself with the now and then once famous GT40.

I wanted one sooo bad....

A year later I was at the State Fair of TX and behold in front of my
eyes on a turn-table was a Ford GT.

I said to myself , man I would do anything to get the chance to own one.

As luck and faith and some wonderful blessings in my life I am now a proud owner...

What a feeling .... Took the car out last night.... It NEVER gets old or boring
or uncumfy or anything negative being behind the wheel... Just Grins from ear to ear ... thumbs up from other drivers and people on the street...

What an Amazing Car...

Jerry...

cobrar1339

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Feb 2, 2006
Diamond Bar, Ca
Dad was a fleet mgr at a Ford dealer. Kinda grew up in the dealership so to speak. His demo's were all cool cars and I loved to get dropped off at school in them.

But after the Lemans win in 66 the GT40's toured the dealerships. His dealer got one and Dan Gurney to sign some autographs. I was fortunate to be there when it arrived. I got a ride up a local street on the way to parking it in the showroom floor. Dad took some pics of me standing by and sitting in the car. He had those hung in his office since then.

He say's I told him "When I grow up I am going to get one of those". When I bought the new GT he said "Well I guess you have finally grown up". So I would never forget, I was able to time the purchase date to his 88th birthday. I had a new pic framed for him to hang next to the old one. I have been in love with that shape since then. I have had / restored just about all the cool Mustangs and Shelby's over the years. But like Leno said in the Pop Mech article, "it just has a shape that stirs mens souls".

Those of you with young kids..This experience will truely be a lifetime memory for both of you. :cheers

911teo

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Jan 5, 2007
Surrey, UK
I am Italian and we are moving back to Europe (after 5 fantastic years spent in North Carolina) this Summer.

I really wanted to take home something American (beside my 2 little girls born on US soil) that would kick some sorry European snobby arse...

Enter the FGT.

The fact that it is the car that every kid dreams (or at least we did) about from their teens makes it just sweeter!

Fubar

Totally ****** Up
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Aug 2, 2006
Dallas, TX
My grandfarther and I used to rebuild old Mustangs (1964-1969s) in the 70s and 80s. We made a little money doing it but more importantly we became very close. He his the main reason I love cars as much as I do.

When he passed away last year he put a request in his will that I buy the "fastest Ford I could find." I did!

Love ya Gramps!

MM

ChipBeck

GT Owner
Staff member
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 13, 2006
Scottsdale, Arizona
Paradise Ford

Walked in to Paradise Ford in Scottsdale during the 60's and saw a GT40 on the show room floor. I still remember seeing that car - it was amazing. And so was the price $17,500.00 :eek :thumbsup

Larry,

I spent a good part of my childhood at Paradise Ford because my father was the General Manager of that dealership. Chase Morsey was the owner/dealer and as he was an former Ford factory executive his dealership always seemed to have plenty of desirable product including Cobras and that GT40. During an Indy race at PIR Mario Andretti and his Lotus-Ford spent a day at Paradise Ford and Mario let me sit in the car!! My dad really wanted to own a Ford Dealership but he was never able to pull it off. He became a Pontiac-GMC owner/dealer in 1969.

Chip

THamonGT

GT
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
My love of the GT-40

It only took me 39 yrs and 2 weeks to own one! My life is complete and doesn't get any better!

Attachments

• FORD PROMOTIONAL TOUR.doc
    20.5 KB · Views: 232

AZGT

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Dec 20, 2005
Scottsdale, AZ.
My grandfarther and I used to rebuild old Mustangs (1964-1969s) in the 70s and 80s. We made a little money doing it but more importantly we became very close. He his the main reason I love cars as much as I do.

When he passed away last year he put a request in his will that I buy the "fastest Ford I could find." I did!

Love ya Gramps!

MM

That is great. I bet he gets a kick out of seeing you in it.

DUROC

GT Owner
Aug 6, 2006
Westchester, NY
I was a kid spending my post-college summer travelling in Europe with a friend in 1965. Our first stop was Le Mans for the race. I saw the Ferrari 250LM beat the GT40s for the last time and fell in love with both the Ferrari and the Ford cars. The 250 is the only Ferrari that matches the GT40/GT for beauty. (I'm not big on the "Ferrari Killer" stuff because I love them both.)

Later in life, driving a Lotus, I bought an early Mazda Miata because it was an obvious, gorgeous homage to the Lotus Elan of the '60s and when Ford announced the GT, I watched the sales patiently hoping for the premium over sticker price to disappear. I bought my 2005 for a bit under list just as the 06 production run was ending.

B O N Y

MODERATOR & FGT OWNER
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 5, 2005
Fresno, Ca.
When I sat in the prototype at Concourso to determine if I could fit it one, and I did, I said to myself, "sold." Paid the deposit two years before the first car was delivered.

Great story Chip and Jason.

ByeEnzo

GT
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Dec 10, 2005
Fort Worth, TX
I immigrated to the US in 1968 at the age of 7. I remember the Gulf stores had models of the GT-40 cars that won in '68 and '69. Also saved cereal box tops to get models of the car. Saw the modern GT at a car show in '04 and just stood there slackjawed looking at it on the turntable. Just had to have one. Definitely a major connection to my childhood. I'm seriously thinking of signing up for a SPF GT-40 in full-on Gulf livery to add to the collection. I love the look of my white/blue GT also, with the Shelby connection.

Fast Freddy

GPS'D 225 MPH
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 5, 2005
Avondale, Arizona

Chip

i like your story the best. :thumbsup as far as my reasons i could write a book on that :ack