Detroit & Baseball loses a Legend

Cobrar

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jun 24, 2006
Metro Detroit
If you ever drove across mid-America in the 60's, 70's or 80's and listened to a Tiger game you heard the unmistaken voice of Detroit baseball, Earnie Harwell:

http://mlb.fanhouse.com/2010/05/04/...05/04/farewell-ernie-detroit-loses-its-voice/

RIP Earnie

Thugboat

GT Owner
Jan 20, 2009
Humble Texas
He was one of the Greatest! Milo here in Houston is good, but is losing some of his edge. We all wear out sometime. I loved Mr. Harwell's schtick of naming and giving the hometown of whoever caught a foul ball. Priceless

Larry Boatner - Baseball Lover

BTW-One of his grandsons lives hear in my community and his great grandson pitches for our high school team. Is being recruited by several colleges. Thomas Harwell is also a very good friend of my son.

Small World

fjpikul

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 4, 2006
Belleville, IL
Who? Never heard of him in the great baseball town of St. Louis. Must be one those American League teams. RIP from a basball fan.

doogie48084

Mar 21, 2007
Taylor Michigan
He was one of the Greatest! Milo here in Houston is good, but is losing some of his edge. We all wear out sometime. I loved Mr. Harwell's schtick of naming and giving the hometown of whoever caught a foul ball. Priceless

Larry Boatner - Baseball Lover

BTW-One of his grandsons lives hear in my community and his great grandson pitches for our high school team. Is being recruited by several colleges. Thomas Harwell is also a very good friend of my son.

Small World

It's a smaller world than we know.

That is so kewl!!!

:cheers

Ernie Harwell, you will be missed by many people
R.I.P.

AJB

GT
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jun 28, 2006
Bloomfield Hills, Michigan
Ernie was more that just a baseball announcer. His belief in the greatness of America and his deep religious faith made him 'one of a kind'.
The way he explained how his faith allowed him to face the cancer that he knew would shortly take his life was admirable.

Several years ago I had the opportunity to invite him into the Ford Suite during a Tiger game at Comerica Park to say hello to many of my employees and suppliers. I am sure many are looking today for the photos we took of the Ford Team with Ernie.....

AJB

Kingman

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 11, 2006
Surf City, USA
Who? Never heard of him in the great baseball town of St. Louis. Must be one those American League teams. RIP from a basball fan.

Frank, you must have missed him between the crying and the pulling out of hair when the Detroit Tigers came back from a 3-1 deficit to beat the Cardinals for the '68 World Series.

Cobrar

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jun 24, 2006
Metro Detroit
Frank, you must have missed him between the crying and the pulling out of hair when the Detroit Tigers came back from a 3-1 deficit to beat the Cardinals for the '68 World Series.

:rofl:rofl:rofl

dbackg

dbackg
Mark II Lifetime
Jan 28, 2009
Tempe, AZ

Unfortunately, the Cards got redemption in 2006.

All kidding aside, if you are a baseball fan and you don't know who Ernie Harwell is ... well then, you missed listening to one of the ALL time greats. That's like saying, I have never heard of Harry Kalas or Vin Scully or Mel Allen.

He found his way to Detroit by way of trade. Detroit traded a ball player for him.

Now, that's crazy.

Never heard of him ..... DBK should put you on suspension for making a comment like that.

That's like stating to someone, I own a Ford GT,
and their reply: I've always liked the Mustang. :frown

FoxSports link:
http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20100504&content_id=9790944&vkey=news_mlb&fext=.jsp&c_id=mlb

Last edited:

fjpikul

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 4, 2006
Belleville, IL
Please remember, we're the city that sent Harry Cary to the minors in Chicago for messin with Augie's wife.

dbackg

dbackg
Mark II Lifetime
Jan 28, 2009
Tempe, AZ
Garagiola, Jack & Joe Buck greats too. Probably why Harry Caray always known for his "drinking" ... deep down, he wanted to be a Cardinal but suffered as a Cub.

During baseball season, NOT really a Dodger fan, but I always get the DirecTV MLB baseball package just to watch and listen to Vin Scully call the baseball game.

Something peaceful and calming listening to Vin call the game.

Funny how baseball is, can be so cruel and so right. There always seems to be a balance of scales ... unless of course if your a Yankee. The scales are always heavy on the money.

RIP. Ernie Harwell and Harry Kalas = two of the greatest.

Last edited:

Thugboat

GT Owner
Jan 20, 2009
Humble Texas
"Probably why Harry Caray always known for his "drinking" ... deep down, he wanted to be a Cardinal but suffered as a Cub."

Now thats great baseball humor. You all used to hate the Astros also, but since they became a AA club no one fears us anymore. Berkman, Oswalt and Lee are probably up for trade offers if you know any baseball GM's.

Larry

dbackg

dbackg
Mark II Lifetime
Jan 28, 2009
Tempe, AZ
last night on ENSP Monday Night Baseball, Yankees v Tigers, Detroit's first home game since Ernie passed.

Nice tribute.
http://detroit.tigers.mlb.com/news/...t_id=9951138&vkey=news_det&fext=.jsp&c_id=det

http://detroit.tigers.mlb.com/video/play.jsp?content_id=7855493&c_id=det