Decent US Sat-Nav

dealmaker

GT Owner
Sep 30, 2006
England
Guys,

Not strictly GT related but could use a US perspective on this please.

I come over to the USA a lot on business and vacation and I am sick and tired of paying exhorbitant sums to hire out a Sat-Nav with my hire car. (usually $13.99 a day plus taxes)

I've had a few problems with the Garmin "Where To" that Avis usually give you - (why for instance doesn't it let you enter ZIP codes as the destination?) - and I wanted to try and ensure I get the best possible unit with the most up to date and relaible maps as well as an easy to use user interface.

Here in Europe the market leader is "TomTom" - and they do make a very nice unit that supposedly covers the USA and Canada (as well as Europe) - but I didn't want to get one of those if anyone has had a bad experience with them in the USA. What other systems do members here have experience of that they can recommend??..or ones they advise to avoid?

Thanks guys!

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State
It appears you have had extensive experience with GPS units, so, I don't know exactly how helpful (or not) this may actually be. But...:

http://hubpages.com/hub/TomTom-Vs-Garmin

Gierkink

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Oct 5, 2005
Wellington, FL
If you have an iPhone use that with Google Maps. It works well for me. Rob

Neilda

GT Owner
Oct 19, 2005
London, UK
I had the opportunity to try the differential lock on a Land Rover yesterday.

Why?

Because some cretins in a van using 'Tom Tom' ended up in a ditch on my property.

"Did you see the sign saying 'NO ACCESS?"

"Uh, we were using Tom Tom"

"But there's a great big sign saying NO ACCESS"

"We were using Tom Tom"

"Is English your first language? Or perhaps there's a history of mental frailty in your family?"

An hour later and they were on their way leaving a muddy mess.

Sorry Dealmaker, that advances your quest by not a single jot, but at least I got that off my chest - for which I thank you.

:biggrin

ChipBeck

GT Owner
Staff member
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 13, 2006
Scottsdale, Arizona
Gps

Dealmaker,

Garmin (my choice) and TomTom both work well here. Voice control is a nice feature and they seem to get cheaper every month.

Chop

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
SF Bay Area in California
Both Garmin and TomTom are great. If you are used to TomTom you probably should stick to that one since the learning curve will be nil to none.

dealmaker

GT Owner
Sep 30, 2006
England
Thanks guys! OK seems like either TomTom or Garmin will be OK - so just depends on what unit I can get the best deal on!

jaxgt

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Jul 12, 2006
I like my Tom Tom - plus I prefer saying it over Garmin.

fjpikul

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 4, 2006
Belleville, IL
In the Midwest, it's Garmin all the way since there headquarters are in Kansas. Neil, good story. Chip, did you change your name, or is Chop the evil twin? (Ha, ha, Chip and Chop)

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
SF Bay Area in California
It appears you have had extensive experience with GPS units, so, I don't know exactly how helpful (or not) this may actually be. But...:

http://hubpages.com/hub/TomTom-Vs-Garmin

Good tip EP. Everyone knows that you don't have any 1st hand experience with any GPS units since you don't drive anywhere.

roketman

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Oct 24, 2005
ma.
If you have an i phone you can purchase the Magellan Road mate app.I have it and it is terrific!

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State
Good tip EP. Everyone knows that you don't have any 1st hand experience with any GPS units since you don't drive anywhere.

I'm gunna tell Mrs. Moose that you're still pickin' on me..........:tongue

Fubar

Totally ****** Up
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Aug 2, 2006
Dallas, TX
I actually got the TomTom app for the iPhone and then bought the TomTom car-kit. I installed the kit in my GT and hooked the sound up to the aux audio input on the GT Mac system. Now I have all my music, a hands free car kit and a nav system in my GT. Win/Win.

pauleddy

Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 14, 2007
Newport/Boca Grande
Garmin Nuvi is small enough to mount on the speedo of the FGT; fits perfectly in the 200 mph area (you can clearly see the "sane" area of the speedo!) and works equally well in the U.S. and Europe. Have used this in Monaco/France/Italy and will use it again this May when over for the Historique's and Mille Miglia. Buy the units from Mega GPS on the web and have it sent to your hotel.

roketman

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Oct 24, 2005
ma.
garmin nuvi is small enough to mount on the speedo of the fgt; fits perfectly in the 200 mph area (you can clearly see the "sane" area of the speedo!) and works equally well in the u.s. And europe. Have used this in monaco/france/italy and will use it again this may when over for the historique's and mille miglia. Buy the units from mega gps on the web and have it sent to your hotel.

whats sane????????????????

Beach-GT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
May 8, 2006
Seminole Florida
I bought a TomTom in Switzerland and it worked perfectly. I sold it because the US map was rediculoulsy priced as an add on. I bought a Garmon (middle priced) and hated it. Took it back. Bought a TomTom One and I love it. Works very well in US. You can put in zip code, or city, or gps coordinates.

MAD IN NC

Proud Owner/ BOD blah bla
Mark IV Lifetime
Feb 14, 2006
North Carolina
I bought a "white box" Magellan from Buy.com for $49.99......

I call it Rosa as it is pre-programmed in Spanish - no option for English. :bored

lesson learned: you get what you pay for.....