Dealer delivery miles verification?

STORMCAT

GT
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
May 25, 2006
Ft. Lauderdale
I am currently shopping for a GT. I found a car on Autotrader that interests me. The Autotrader listing shows 4 miles in the description. I asked the sales person about the actual mile and said they were low but he didn't know for sure. The salesman put me in contact with the owner to dicuss the price and I quized him that I need to verify the actual miles on the Odo. I got an email from the dealer that it has 30.7 miles. They said it had come from the factory with very high miles and they only took in to a nearby gas station to put fuel in it one time.
My question is this, is there a document that shows how many miles were on the car when it left the Ford factory?
This many miles may not bother some of you but this car will be my baby and I really want a low mile new car. I see lots with 5mi or less. It concerns me that the 30.7 miles may be aggressive test miles. The dealership owner said he thinks maybe the transporters put the miles on the car which made me more skeptical !!
This car is an 06 # 14** anyone else see a mid to late 06 with this high of miles from the factory??

H

HHGT

When I purchased the Heritage, the dealer gave me the Delivery Inspection Report from the transport company that had the miles documented. It showed 1.9 miles.

willis

GT Owner
Oct 12, 2006
GT Miles

I just took delivery of my GT last week and it had 4 miles off of the truck.I thought that that seemed higher than I expected.

STORMCAT

GT
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
May 25, 2006
Ft. Lauderdale
Thank you for the responses, 1.9 miles is great. 4 miles would be no concern and is not unusual they may have made 2 trips around the test track?, but 30.7 miles ?? I think someone was out playing ...

Neilda

GT Owner
Oct 19, 2005
London, UK
Storm, don't be too alarmed - this could be genuine.

From memory Ford tested (on the track) every tenth GT. Those that were given this factory shakedown had something like 27 miles on the clock.

Perhaps someone here could verify this for Storm?

SYCO GT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Sep 9, 2006
California
I bought my car in Pennsylvania from State College Ford. They were great. They sent me a picture of the car with 3 miles on it, and sure enough, the car was delivered to my door in California with only 3.5 miles on it.

I was quite happy.

GT Tech

Ford GT Team Alumni
Aug 13, 2006
Kingman, Arizona
Storm,

It's very possible that the mileage is correct. Neilda is correct in that one car a day got a test drive, athough none were driven in bad weather. Also we stopped the drives around the first of November till early spring as Michigan weather sucks that time of the year. The test drives were done on public roads, in normal traffic. We had a pre determined route that was just over 27 miles. If a noise or other potential issue was found, it may have been driven a little bit more. 1.5 miles were put on every car on the chassis dyno after the car was finished. There should have been be a sticker, on the windshield, or drivers door glass stating that the car was tested and the mileage accumulated.

There were only two of us certified to drive customer cars on the road. I was one of the drivers. We spent a week at Michigan Proving Grounds, throwing GTs around the test tracks. I drove Bill Fords and Jay Lenos cars around MPG long before they got them. It was a tough job, but somebody had to do it. :biggrin
Hope this helps

FlorIdaho Chris

Yeah, I've got one.
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
GT Tech-

Thanks for the great insights. What a great job!

Neilda

GT Owner
Oct 19, 2005
London, UK
Thanks for that confirmation GT-T, my memory still works then!!

GT Tech

Ford GT Team Alumni
Aug 13, 2006
Kingman, Arizona
On the DVD that came with the GT year book, there is a picture in the slide show section that shows 4 guys standing by a white GT.(Bill Ford's car) Thats me, along with the other test driver, and our instructors.(the guy in the red shirt is Mark Magowen, the Ford test driver that went 212 mph while testing GTs at the Nardo track in Italy. That guy can REALLY drive. :biggrin

Last edited:

Kirby Vieira

GT Owner/B.o.D
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 22, 2005
Atlanta
My June '06 delivered car had similar delivery miles to the one STORMCAT is discussing; however, there was a small factory sticker on the driver's side window that stated the car was randomly selected and quality test driven at the factory for 20-something miles. Anything's possible, but you would think the dealer would have either protected such a sticker or at least offered the info about it, if it was ever on the car. Good job Neilda and GT Tech!

Roger Vincent

GT Owner
May 31, 2006
Bowling Green, KY
If I had the choice, I would have preferred one that had been test driven because of the additional attention given to quality control.

Roger, 05, 1490 (had 1.9 miles on the odometer)

STORMCAT

GT
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
May 25, 2006
Ft. Lauderdale
If this is the case this is comforting info. and may put my mind at ease. GT Tech please tell me that the cars were driven very slowly : ) Again this site is the best place for GT info. Hope to join you owners soon...

ChipBeck

GT Owner
Staff member
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 13, 2006
Scottsdale, Arizona
2 miles

My 06 GT had 2.1 miles on it when I picked it up. I have spoken to more than 1 dealer who told me they took the car for a spin before they sold it cause it would be their only chance to drive one. Like you I wanted to know how the car was driven so I bought one that had not been delivered to the dealer yet and gave them instructions not to drive or even service it. I picked it up the day after it arrived.

Chip

THamonGT

GT
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Being a dealer I would have perferred my GTbeen test driven or dyno'ed as my personal GT was delivered to the dealership wirh .07 tenths of a mile on the odometer. I found it to be perfect in every way. I wouldn't be concerned with 30 miles as the turbo won't activate with no miles as I found with mine. Tomy Hamon It is programed that way to protect the original purchaser against dealership joy rides!

MG 42

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Oct 11, 2006
I put money down on my 06 GT in March (at that point it was my car), the car was delivered to the dealer in April. The dealer never called to let me know it had come in. I found out it was there when I called to ask them about something else. The car had 10 miles on it when i picked it up. I wasn't very happy but did not see it as a deal breaker. IMO that's bad business. I may never buy from that dealer again just because someone wanted to take MY car for a spin around the block. All is well that ends well, I could not be happier with the car :biggrin

Beach-GT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
May 8, 2006
Seminole Florida
Miles

If you take the VIN to the service department at any dealer and have them look it up it will show the build date and the miles on it from the factory. Mine had 2.

STORMCAT

GT
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
May 25, 2006
Ft. Lauderdale
That's a good tip. Thanks for all of the valuable info. This site has been an unbelivable place to gather info and find out about these incredable machines !!!
You know what the monkey said when he got his tail caught in lawn mower?
"Won't be long now !! "

FrankBarba

Permanent Vacation
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 16, 2005
Harrisburg, PA
SYCO GT said:
I bought my car in Pennsylvania from State College Ford. They were great. They sent me a picture of the car with 3 miles on it, and sure enough, the car was delivered to my door in California with only 3.5 miles on it.

Do you check your PM? Several Pm's sent no return. I understand if you do not want to respond, but i do need your help with some info. Please respond.