Dead battery, locked out, emergency

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State
Why would a battery go dead after a couple weeks of not running? What is draining it? QUOTE]

Onboard computers and such.

Luke Warmwater

Permanent Vacation
Jul 29, 2009
Boondocks, Colorado
As a new GT owner I know very little about them but it doesn't seem that an ECM would drain a battery in a matter of weeks? Park your Toyota for a couple weeks does it go dead? I better get a trickle charger hooked up :)

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State
As a new GT owner I know very little about them but it doesn't seem that an ECM would drain a battery in a matter of weeks? Park your Toyota for a couple weeks does it go dead? I better get a trickle charger hooked up :)

I hear ya. But, facts 'is' facts.

(Gotta admit I was real surprised to learn about the battery issues too. 'Never owned another car of any make wherein this was as issue at all.)

Edit: BTW - CONGRATS ON GETTING YOUR GT and welcome to The 'Forum!!! What color didja get?

Last edited:

Luke Warmwater

Permanent Vacation
Jul 29, 2009
Boondocks, Colorado
I'm looking forward to learning much from everyone on here about the ins and outs of GT ownership. Maybe it was a design decision to encourage frequent use :)

FastEddie

GT Owner/Operator
Sep 27, 2007
My front trunk cable and latch were not working either... both were just replaced last week (under warranty)

Kayvan

GT Owner
Jul 13, 2006
Not sure if you started car....

The stock OEM charger that comes with car is enough to keep the battery going. Not sure if your using that or Battery tender jr, with lighter attachment.

If you dont have Ford OEM chrager some dealers here can get it with zippered pouch for $80.

In addition, it can used with windows up, and can be left against rubber seal at bottom of door, with door closed. Its 20 ft cord is also handy.

Someone here had in on the car for 3 yrs straight with no problem.

Pete S.

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Aug 18, 2006
MA
I'm looking forward to learning much from everyone on here about the ins and outs of GT ownership. Maybe it was a design decision to encourage frequent use :)

The dead battery experience has not happened to every FGT out there. Though a close freind left the key on overnight and that did drain the battery. I have had no battery issues driving mine home 9/05/05 and rarely use the 'aftermarket' tender. Just about 23,000 miles and no worries, except for that power steering hose . . . well, in the future, I'll carry a spare in the trailer.

Get in the car and drive it.

Pete S.