Dashboard Toggle Switches

Planecrazy232

GT Owner
Nov 28, 2012
Cape Coral, FL
Went for a drive last night and noticed the Fog, Dimmer, and Rear defrost switched were not lit. I don't know how long they have been out either. Reading previous posts on the subject it seems these lamps cannot be replaced. I would like to try, but I would rather try on one that someone has already pulled out for replacement. Any givers??

Regardless, anybody have part numbers for these? Not sure if its worth the expense or hassle to replace anyway.

But if someone want to give up a bad one for reverse engineering I'll give it a shot.

Thanks

Anthony

fjpikul

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 4, 2006
Belleville, IL
I think anyone who replaced them under warranty had to trade in the old ones. Ralphie may have one.

RALPHIE

GT Owner
Mar 1, 2007
I only have a new headlight/parking light switch, which I got on warranty when I noticed it was out. I have not installed it, as I cannot see it when driving (blocked by the steering wheel) which is why it took a long time to notice it. I am keeping it for the time when (and if) the dash panel needs to come out, upon which I will replace it. So far, no need to pull the dash.

TACHY

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 4, 2006
Fort Myers, Florida
I had a couple of the switches replaced by GTG before the rally for that same problem.. Apparently the bulb is not replaceable.

fjpikul

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 4, 2006
Belleville, IL
They are LEDs if I remember correctly. Xmas is coming, go get one at Wally World.

RALPHIE

GT Owner
Mar 1, 2007
They are LEDs if I remember correctly....

Correct.

twobjshelbys

GT Owner
Jul 26, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
So if all the lights are out it's the common current driver return that died.

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
SF Bay Area in California
Some design problem must exist. LED should have a very low failure rate, much less than reported here. Unless driven by too much current or get an over voltage spike or high reverse voltage they should out live all of us.

Planecrazy232

GT Owner
Nov 28, 2012
Cape Coral, FL
So if all the lights are out it's the common current driver return that died.

Not all, but 3 out of 5.

Howard

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 26, 2007
Florida/North Jersey
I lost my FOG LED a few years ago. Since replaced. Cost of the part was $75 back then.

Howard

RALPHIE

GT Owner
Mar 1, 2007
Since it's an LED, I would assume that the problem is a disconnection in the internal connection to the LED, which is mired in resin.

MTV8

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 24, 2010
Houston Texas
Not all, but 3 out of 5.

Well, at least they are symmetrical.

MAD IN NC

Proud Owner/ BOD blah bla
Mark IV Lifetime
Feb 14, 2006
North Carolina
I lost my FOG LED a few years ago. Since replaced. Cost of the part was $75 back then.

Howard

Today's price is $120 on fordparts.com

peiserg

GT Owner
Aug 15, 2010
Phoenix, az
IIRC the switch prices were not onerous