Dash Rattle

1931imperial

GT Owner
May 15, 2006
I have pretty solid rattle sound, like it's behind the speedometer, notice it on washboard surfaces. Anybody been there?

Thanks, Ron

fjpikul

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 4, 2006
Belleville, IL
Been there. When we were at the Rally in Dearborn, the GT engineers (not techs) took my car for a ride to see if they could find it. No washboard streets, so no rattle. Finally, I found it myself. It's the overhang over the tach, kind of a hood to prevent glare. Put your hand on top of the dash and hook your thumb under the overhang. Kind of squeeze the two together and the rattle will go away. It's the plastic in the overhang vibrating against the top portion of the dash. I've pushed it several times and haven't heard it for many months, but haven't driven the car much.

AJB

GT
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jun 28, 2006
Bloomfield Hills, Michigan
rattle

My rattle turned out to be the plastic strip at the bottom of the windshield glass. It is only a slight press fit and can be pushed off when you clean the glass at the base of the windshield. You can see it easily with the trunk (hood) in the open position..it is a strip that goes from side to side the full length of the windshield. Check to see if it is secure.
AJB