Dash and Interior Leather Care Question

NavyVet

GT Owner
Nov 27, 2012
Scottsdale, AZ
I searched the threads and could not find too much (or current) info on how owners are caring for the interior leather (not just seats). Any recommendations on what works or doesn't work? Thanks for the help!

ron1416

GT Owner
Jun 30, 2013
Southern California
I searched the threads and could not find too much (or current) info on how owners are caring for the interior leather (not just seats). Any recommendations on what works or doesn't work? Thanks for the help!

I've been using Lexol for years . Smells funny when you first out it on , but the odor dissipates quickly.
It seems to work OK , but then again I don't have much to compare it with. Noticed that most of the "fancy" car care product suppliers ( Mother's, Meguiar's,...) that cater to sports cars have specialty products for leather care , but truthfully have not tried them.

Kayvan

GT Owner
Jul 13, 2006
Damp microfibre cloth with water

I believe leather is sealed; so nothing really is absorbed.

Beach-GT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
May 8, 2006
Seminole Florida
I use GOLD CLASS rich leather cleaner/conditioner by Meguiar and it works very well. Don't know what it would be like if I didn't use anything. I use it about once a year since the car sits in an airconditioned garage 99.95% of the time. No bad odor. White cream.

Xcentric

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 9, 2012
Myakka City, Florida
I use Meltonian Leather Lotion, which is what I have used on my leather and lizard boots forever. Boots get way more stress than car interiors. This stuff keeps it supple without any slipperiness. I use it on the seats, not the dash. I don't know why. Maybe the dash would benefit too.

My problem with the dash is the leather separating around the vents.

Xcentric

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 9, 2012
Myakka City, Florida
...the car sits in an airconditioned garage 99.95% of the time.

If you only drive it 0.05% of the time, I don't think leather preservation is an issue. :lol

PL510*Jeff

Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Nov 3, 2005
Renton, Washington
I use Meltonian Leather Lotion, which is what I have used on my leather and lizard boots forever. Boots get way more stress than car interiors. This stuff keeps it supple without any slipperiness. I use it on the seats, not the dash. I don't know why. Maybe the dash would benefit too.

My problem with the dash is the leather separating around the vents.

Mine too..it's naugahyde according to my car interior guy. Started shrinking the day it was manufactured. Tough job to pull the dash cap to do a proper repair.

Kingman

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 11, 2006
Surf City, USA
Jason the Detailer who used to patronize this site told me quite some time ago that our leather (as on the majority of all new cars) has a plastic coating to protect it. He recommended a 2.5 gallon bucket of warm water with a quick spritz of mild dishwashing soap (Dawn plain) and a rag to wipe down the leather.

Wally (Cobrar1339) who is a big shot with Autozone (you should look at Autozone's stock price rise since he took on his new role ~7 years ago) who also has his own aftermarket site Www.fordGTparts.com, turned me onto 'Pledge Grab-It' dusters (I would think Swifter Dusters would have similar results) for wiping down the interior dash, bezels, doors, etc.... It picks up everything without leaving any residue to attract dust/dirt or a shiny surface which would create a terrible reflection in the windshield while driving.

Last edited:

Xcentric

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 9, 2012
Myakka City, Florida
I believe leather is sealed; so nothing really is absorbed.

Sealed how? If leather was sealed, it would feel like vinyl. Leather is skin. Skin breathes. Skin has oil. Dead skin doesn't get any oil replenishment. Keep your skin lubed.

Or else coat it with plastic and see how well that lasts.

Kingman

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 11, 2006
Surf City, USA
Sealed how? If leather was sealed, it would feel like vinyl. Leather is skin. Skin breathes. Skin has oil. Dead skin doesn't get any oil replenishment. Keep your skin lubed.

Or else coat it with plastic and see how well that lasts.

All new cars come with sealed leather. That is why the other products discussed here that would 'soften' the leather are entirely wrong. The Meltonian will actually shrink the leather as other shoe 'polishes' will. The Connolly Leather Hide Food and others like it are for old cars (I.e., Rolls, Lotus, Jag, etc.... ) that didn't have the technology for sealing the leather many moons ago. Companies keep pushing this crap because it's revenue producing.

I highly recommend talking to a professional. The above info was also provided by the detailing team Chip Foose engages for his $1M+ rides.

Last edited:

RALPHIE

GT Owner
Mar 1, 2007
Ford recommends "Motorcraft Deluxe Leather and Vinyl Cleaner," which I find seems to do a good job of both cleaning and protection. Part number is ZC-11-A.

For the dash, buy a cover from DashTopper - http://www.dashtopper.com/ (They used my car for the fitting)

Buy the Brushed Suede in Black - It will also eliminate the reflective glare of the dash in the windshield. You can even have it monogrammed if you want.

Last edited:

KJRGT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
May 4, 2006
SoCal
Never touched my dash with anything but damp microfiber towel wipe down. 9 years and 22,500 miles looks great. Sorry to hear some of you guys are having shrinkage problems.

I've treated the seats 3-4 times with Lexol.

Kayvan

GT Owner
Jul 13, 2006
Pls send all $$$ you want to spend on leather treatment to my paypal account

I will blow it on Hot babes; in addition to the current large amount
I'm wasting on them.

Effect will be same on your leather interior.

junior

GT Owner
Mar 9, 2007
So Cal
So many products on the market and with each manufacturer claiming having the best, it's difficult to find a winner. I've used Zaino products for years with excellent results. When lazy I use a slightly damped micro fiber towel with distilled water.

Xcentric

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 9, 2012
Myakka City, Florida
Never touched my dash with anything but damp microfiber towel wipe down. 9 years and 22,500 miles looks great. Sorry to hear some of you guys are having shrinkage problems.

My shrinkage problems have nothing to do with the dash.

Actually, it's more like an expansion problem. Or, the leather has unglued around the defroster vents. I've seen this in other GTs. If the vents pop off from the top, it looks like it would be easy to re-glue with the windshield out.

Speaking of which, are windshields likely to become hard to get?

Xcentric

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 9, 2012
Myakka City, Florida
All new cars come with sealed leather.

I remain a skeptic, but I can be swayed by evidence. I understand that the leather is "coated." I don't believe it is "sealed." It still breathes and can absorb.

BTW, the Meltonian Leather Lotion isn't a polish. It's a water-based cleaner and conditioner. Is it actually doing anything to the leather besides cleaning it? I don't know. Keeping the leather clean is the best thing you can do for it.

I have a several bottles of 303. Does anyone use that? UV protection seems like a good idea. It's water based and the manufacturer says it is "great for coated leather."

jcthorne

GT Owner
Aug 30, 2011
Houston
No, the dash cover is real leather, not vinyl. And if its properly cared for does not shrink.

I used Lexol for years, it is a great product for preserving leather and does work well. Couple years ago tried Zaino leather in a bottle and it seems to work as well or better than Lexol, is easier to apply as a cream rather than a spray and it SMELLS GREAT. Everyone that gets in my GT thinks it still smells of new leather. I'd buy it for the smell alone. I does a great job on the seats and trim but does require a rub in, let dry, buff approach on the seats to keep them looking good. I use

I tried the Connolly stuff, what a mess and a waste of time and it STINKS.

i do use the 303 protectant on all rubber and vinyl parts around the vehicles and it works well but don't use it on the leather.

And yes, the leather in the GT is coated for wear and water repelancy but its NOT SEALED and absorbs the leather conditioner readily. If you have not used a good conditioner on the seats in many years, you will be surprised how much more supple the leather becomes once properly treated.

Last edited:
Reactions: Cadster

STORMCAT

GT
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
May 25, 2006
Ft. Lauderdale
I use Lexol on the leather and 303 on the plastic and rubber.

Beach-GT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
May 8, 2006
Seminole Florida
But that .05% is great! anf the leather is nice.

Kingman

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 11, 2006
Surf City, USA
I was incorrect in the terminology I used for automotive eather. The correct reference should be - Top Coated Protected Full Grain
http://www.leathermagic.com/Pages/determineAutolthr.htm