CTS-V is the Carrot

Thugboat

GT Owner
Jan 20, 2009
Humble Texas
Thankyou,

And yes he has. He averages 40 hrs a week min. on the course practicing or playing. He played in 45+ Tournaments this year and has over 125 competitive rounds. I told him a few years ago his work would pay off and he would agree with you now.

Larry

Gierkink

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Oct 5, 2005
Wellington, FL
That is a beautiful car! I'm sure he's going to enjoy it.

Rob

Thugboat

GT Owner
Jan 20, 2009
Humble Texas
Rob,

Thanks.

Larry

BTW-I had Logan read the THREAD!!!!

Gierkink

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Oct 5, 2005
Wellington, FL
BTW-I had Logan read the THREAD!!!!

That's a great idea... and tell him I'm jealous of his car! Rob

getbit

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Feb 15, 2006
Austin, Texas
I picked up a 2011 CTS-V Coupe back in mid July and like it more every day.

My son thought it would make a nice first car for him (we were amused) but he is getting a 2011 Volkswagen GTI for Christmas...just picked it up yesterday and hid it away.

I am working a similar arrange with concerns to college...show responsibility with the new GTI, make the grades and get the scholarships and the automotive reward is his.

Congrats to you and your son...maybe we will see you guys around Austin.

nota4re

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 15, 2006
The GTI is a great car - especially for the money. There are feweer and fewer "drivers" cars out there, but the GTI is definitely one of them. Regardless of where your son is on the "car-crazy" scale, the GTI is gonna set an early benchmark for what a car should be. Never will an Altima, Camry, etc. suffice!!! My big mistake was that I got my daughter a high-mileage (lower cost) '05 M3 approximately 1 year ago when she got her permit. Although the M3 has been very reliable thus far, I'd really like to see her in something with lower mileage.... but she is so damn attached to that M3, it is really amazing. I have tried to entice her into several new or newer cars, but the only thing that she'll even consider is a 335i. No way for a 328i - has to have at least 300HP!!! She's a bigger car nut now than Ryan and that's saying a lot. Gotta love 'em!!

Thugboat

GT Owner
Jan 20, 2009
Humble Texas
Getbit,

We are in Austin at Barton Creek for a Golf Tournament this next week. We will stay at the hotel from Sunday pm thru Thursday. 4 day tournament. Logan started off with a Miata, never drove it! Was what we bought him before he got his liscense. Next was the first Saturn Sky available in Houston, Non-Turbo but handled better than many cars I have driven, Just slow. One of his buddies told him the Yellow Sky looked "SORT OF GAY" so we traded that on a new Nissan Titan 4X4 Pro-X. Had it exactly 2 years put 18K miles on it and it was still in perfect shape. Trade in was 25+. I did exactly as you said with the good grades, good conduct and college scholarship for him. The CTS-V is what everyone says, fantastic. I finally was able to steal the keys away from him and took it for a spin. First thing I noticed was it doesn't handle like a Caddy, very tight steering and wow, what brakes!!! Only tested the throttle response once, without Logan in it, and it is very quick. Warned Logan first ticket he gets I will install a "Big Brother" on it. A GPS system that will notify me by phone anytime he exceeds the parameters I am able to set for speed etc. He seemed to think that was quite a deterent.

Merry Christmas

Larry Boatner

SuperGTman

May 23, 2007
0629091933.jpg

This has been one of my best daily drivers!

0623091544a.jpg

Mar 15, 2006
I love the VW Golf and thought of getting a GTI for my 16 yr old son as well. I settled on a Ram SRT10 Quad Cab truck instead. I like the Golf GTI / R32 so much I have considered getting one for a daily driver for a long time. Not going to win any races but its the kind of car that you have fun driving every time you are in it.

getbit

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Feb 15, 2006
Austin, Texas
I love the VW Golf and thought of getting a GTI for my 16 yr old son as well. I settled on a Ram SRT10 Quad Cab truck instead. I like the Golf GTI / R32 so much I have considered getting one for a daily driver for a long time. Not going to win any races but its the kind of car that you have fun driving every time you are in it.

I've always liked them as well.
Here is Christmas Day...he is still smiling today.

attachment.php

getbit

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Feb 15, 2006
Austin, Texas
My 2011 CTS-V Coupe
Full album: http://gallery.me.com/jasonfontenot/100341

attachment.php

Gierkink

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Oct 5, 2005
Wellington, FL
Has anyone seen the V wagon in-the-flesh yet? Pictures look good but my local dealers don't have the car in yet.

Kingman

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 11, 2006
Surf City, USA

peiserg

GT Owner
Aug 15, 2010
Phoenix, az
Guess i must be the only one here who subscribes to the "make them pay for half of some slow ass shitbox" till they can pony up for the whole deal. I'd never buy my teenage kid a sports car or sedan. Responsible or not, we've all had friends we've shown off for at one time or another. Lucky for me, since i make my living off the results of those guys more often than not. My brother even managed to roll my moms honda accord (showing off for buddies).

Thugboat

GT Owner
Jan 20, 2009
Humble Texas
Peiserg,

I understand your line of thought. But, I also hear what you said about your brother rolling the accord. ANYTHING I would have bought him would have been fast enought to do significant damage, even a prius!!! My hope is that this car is better equipped if he does the dumb stuff. Also, I grew up somewhat without and my first 2 kids started with real POS's but managed to create mayhem. I am now able to give it to him and in many ways he has earned it. His work ethic is way beyond most of the kids that set on the couch with video games dreaning of grandeur. He honestly works harder than I do, even tho that ain't saying much. Believe me I do understand your message and worry every time he leaves the house. But, what could I have given him that wouldn't have been fast enough to cause mayhem if he is being dumb?

Larry

peiserg

GT Owner
Aug 15, 2010
Phoenix, az
Lol I get you.. Too bad mopeds are so dangerous....otherwise they are perfect....no room for friends and to speed of 40!

I wonder what would be worse... 2 seater sports car or 5 seater civic....more friends crammed in is a huuuuge distractor...
And if he has earned the privilage, I get that as well.. I just personally wouldn't do the ' nice' car deal... My kids will inherit whatever my oldest reliable car is, or maybe a used truck or accord/caprice/aveo.

Last edited:

Thugboat

GT Owner
Jan 20, 2009
Humble Texas
Thanks for your understanding,

Texas has figured out the 2 seat five seat thing. When they get a liscense at 16 they can only have one person in the car with them for 6 months. Your right the more the merrier!! Remember when I was young the guy in the back seat holding his hands over my eyes when I was driving. Lucky I am even around. HaHaHa.

Larry

getbit

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Feb 15, 2006
Austin, Texas
Thanks for your understanding,

Texas has figured out the 2 seat five seat thing. When they get a liscense at 16 they can only have one person in the car with them for 6 months. Your right the more the merrier!! Remember when I was young the guy in the back seat holding his hands over my eyes when I was driving. Lucky I am even around. HaHaHa.

Larry

Car full of teenagers is a dangerous thing, indeed.
Texas has recently changed the single passenger law to 1 year (non relative or minor).