CSX. Shelby Cobra

DakotaGT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Dec 9, 2012
Sioux Falls, South Dakota
Find out as much as you can about the builder. Are they still in business? Club Cobra is a wealth of information.

Yes, they are still in business.

http://www.allprocars.com/web/

Anybody here from the PA area? Ever hear of these guys?

twobjshelbys

GT Owner
Jul 26, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
Yes, they are still in business.

http://www.allprocars.com/web/

Anybody here from the PA area? Ever hear of these guys?

If the builder has done Cobras for a while they are probably mentioned on clubcobra.com...

GTJack

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 1, 2006
Saddlebrooke, MO
I checked the Shelby Registry and not much is entered on the car that you don't already know. Completed 2/21/2000 by All-Pro Cars. Al body, Trigo wheels, chromed roll bar and the original purchaser in Manassas, VA. Interesting that registrant did not put the engine/transmission combo in when registering the car as most folks do that. Also, no picture provided which was also a no cost add to the Registry. The SAAC Registry is the "authority" when it comes to all things Shelby and the current Cobra Registry includes original GT40s, GT40 Kit cars, and our 2005-6 FGTs.

DakotaGT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Dec 9, 2012
Thanks, GTJack.

DakotaGT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Dec 9, 2012
Well, looks like I will soon be the new owner of CSX #4145. The car is not perfect and needs some minor sorting, but perfect for me since I plan to drive the car some, and there's no sense paying top-dollar for a pristine car that I would be afraid to use. I think an aluminum-body CSX with all-aluminum Shelby 427 will probably do fine value-wise over time, especially for what I paid for it.

Many, MANY thanks go out to Sinovac here, who was gracious enough to check out the car in detail today and take it for a spin. I appreciate the detailed report! Now at least I know what I am dealing with, and this allowed me to be much more comfortable in making the decision to purchase, and what I was willing to pay. Sinovac is obviously quite knowledgeable on Cobras also. Thank you also to everybody else, above, who helped me out with advice. I have a lot of learning to do about every facet of my new toy. I'll try to soak it all in, like I did with the FGT over a year ago. Time to order some books and spend countless hours on the Cobra forums now...

Xcentric

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 9, 2012
Myakka City, Florida
Congrats! Get ready for more miles of smiles.

You are very fortunate to have Sinovac do the PPI. He not only knows Cobras, he is also very intimate with aluminum bodies. :lol

5D3_7237.jpg

Sinovac

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 18, 2006
Largo, Florida
Clint, I was more than happy to help out. Good luck with your new toy and have fun.

Gary, that was a fun day.

twobjshelbys

GT Owner
Jul 26, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
You'll have a lot of fun with it. I loved mine but my wife hated it. I may still own one some day again, but in Vegas it's kind of hard, although I do see a bunch of regulars at the C&C every Sat AM (they get out before it gets too hot). One of the things I did decide though was that the 427 was not a street car. I never felt that I was giving the engine enough "use" to make it happy. It's hard to get it above 4000 RPM, unless you hold it back in lower gears. A 289 with a little less HP would be happier, and the FIA cars have the same "shape". Ignore the roll bar support in the front seat, noone is going to use it anyway :)

Check out Club Cobra though. Like all forums the club cobra forum has lots of good technical info but also lots of fluff. For the most part they disdain anyone who buys a Shelby CSX continuation car, so be prepared.

The auction is still open. Are you buying it directly or going to create a winning bid?

twobjshelbys

GT Owner
Jul 26, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
There is already chatter on this car (directed from this topic):

http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/all...-alumin-csx-4000-series-ebay.html#post1310271

The battle over there continues.

DakotaGT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Dec 9, 2012
Thanks, Tony. That one link from the clubcobra thread is just an ad that feeds off of the current ebay auction price; that is why it is (currently) at $110,100. I wish that was truly the price. I think my deal is good, but not THAT good! And I hear what you are saying about the 289 cars, but to me, I had always read about the mystical, all-conquering 427 Cobras, so for my first cobra- nothing else will do.

There is already chatter on this car (directed from this topic):

http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/all...-alumin-csx-4000-series-ebay.html#post1310271

The battle over there continues.

DakotaGT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Dec 9, 2012
Congrats! Get ready for more miles of smiles.

You are very fortunate to have Sinovac do the PPI. He not only knows Cobras, he is also very intimate with aluminum bodies. :lol

/QUOTE]

Thanks, Gary. Wow, that is certainly a beautiful Cobra! Do you have any engine shots (Paul or Gary)?

Sinovac

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 18, 2006
Largo, Florida
I don't lift the hood often because, quite frankly, the small block I have isn't that visually impressive. The car was built to drive extremely well, which it does, but the motor looks lost in the engine bay and has too many chrome bits installed by the prior owner. While a small block in a 427 bodied Cobra makes for a much better driver's car in my opinion, it doesn't have the visual punch of the big block and has a lower resale value. After you get your car sorted and have some seat time, you can drive mine the next time you are in Florida so you can compare the two. At the end of the day, people who want a big block won't be satisfied with anything else, and I completely understand that. Personally, I think a hot small block in the 427 street trim Cobra is the bomb. Some examples of well built Kirkhams by Dave Wagner (note the small block in the silver mink car):

Cobra 2.jpg
Cobra 3.jpg
Cobra 4.jpg

DakotaGT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Dec 9, 2012
That all makes good sense to me. Beautiful cars.

mmlcobra

GT Owner
May 25, 2013
I have a SPF very large block car.
The rear exit exhaust look is growing on me.
Best,
Mark

GT35065

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
The red street car is the look I am growing very fond of. That is a dead ringer for the car I got my first ride in with my Dad at eight years old in the real deal. I have a Superformance with the competition look, but am considering selling it and getting a street version. Thought about converting mine, but it has the stripes too, and they don't look right on a street version IMO. I've had my SPF for nine years and like the quality for the dollar. Probably would go with their street car.

I'm also a fan of the small block. Mine is a 408 stoker rated at 550 HP with 500 ft/lb torque. Ridiculous power to weight and I love it.

Sinovac

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 18, 2006
Largo, Florida
You're talking about the original Cobra you damaged with a ball in an episode of youthful indiscretion, aren't you?

Everyone defaults to the semi-competition 427 Cobras because they were the rarest (30 or so) and look positively outrageous, but they were only a small percentage of 427 Cobra production. The rest were street cars like the two pictured above. The street cars are the contrarian's choice for sure, but I prefer them, particularly in an aluminum car which highlights the cow belly. They are catching on, but are still rare in replica circles. One advantage is that they really stand out among all the s/c cars floating around.

Mark, the rear exhausts require some work for clearance, but look great. A good compromise is under car side exhausts, which I have.

GT35065

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
There is a Superformance 427 roadster street version where I store my motorhome, and that is what got me thinking. They do a really nice job on the under car exhaust. What ever mufflers they use do not hang too low under the car like some I've seen. Really like the clean roadster look. Especially after I burnt the cr*p out of my leg in late spring for the first time in nine years. Had a battery cable pop off which caused the car to stall and I had to get out and push it in a hurry. Lesson: Don't be in a hurry when getting in or out of a sidepiped Cobra.

Sinovac

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 18, 2006
Largo, Florida
There is a Superformance 427 roadster street version where I store my motorhome, and that is what got me thinking.

Stop thinking and let's go get one. We need another car to play with.

StormBringer

Jul 18, 2014
Greenwich & Malibu
Good luck with the new ride!

DakotaGT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Dec 9, 2012
Good luck with the new ride!

Thanks! I appreciate what you tried to do for me over there on Club Cobra.