Is Virginia part of USSR?

No, part of DC and those who run it.

fjpikul

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 4, 2006
Belleville, IL
Illinois has 7.5% one time sales tax at purchase. $101/year to renew plates (that's up from $72/year about 5 years ago). Smog check every two years in Chicago and St. Louis areas only. Insurance with State Farm $900/year. Antique registration on cars 25+ years old, but mileage restriction. I did learn of a strange IL law. You can run vintage plates NOT assigned to your car but period correct as long as you have official plates in vehicle with copoy of waiver.

When I lived in Oklahoma they had a similar "ad valorum" tax on vehicles. It was totally deductible from fed and state taxes, so even though you paid it, it came off the top of your taxes essentially making it a wash.

Last edited:

bret a ewing

GT Owner
Nov 29, 2006
VA aims to extract funds from folks with high value cars only to have them purchase a cabin in SC. Next time in VA check out how many OOS high value cars are on the road.............they aint visitin'.

rf18412

GT Owner
Feb 28, 2011
Omaha, Nebraska
Thanks for the feedback.

I will post my progress.

Robert

GT1261

GT Owner
May 28, 2012
Relax.

To get a license plate on a Ford GT here in Norway costs today around 120.000USD.
The last GT500 costs new somewhere in the neighborhood of 300.000USD.

Cheers

Kayvan

GT Owner
Jul 13, 2006
Smog for Vette is every 6yrs in Cali

Smog for GT every 2yrs

$75/ea.

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
SF Bay Area in California
Smog for Vette is every 6yrs in Cali

Smog for GT every 2yrs

$75/ea.

The Vette will be every 2 years. For new cars purchased in CA. the 1st inspection isn't required until the 6th year, 2 years thereafter. I don't know how you got under the radar on that one.

MAD IN NC

Proud Owner/ BOD blah bla
Mark IV Lifetime
Feb 14, 2006
North Carolina
NC
$1,500 sales tax (maxed out/ one time)
$~80 for vanity plates
~$500 for road tax (drops every year)

oh ya... inspection, annual @$40 w tinted windows

Black GT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jan 2, 2006
In NM we pay 3% sales tax, and like 58 bucks ish a year. Love NM;). On Ferraris Lambos FGTs whatever.

Xcentric

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 9, 2012
Myakka City, Florida
VA aims to extract funds from folks with high value cars only to have them purchase a cabin in SC. Next time in VA check out how many OOS high value cars are on the road.............they aint visitin'.

True dat! But you won't see Montana plates either. VA is hip to that scam.

I challenge anyone to name a worse tax hell for high value cars in the US than Fairfax County, VA.

Now...$300,000 for a Mustang in Norway? wtf? You Norwegians are silly! What cars does Norway want you to buy, if any?

Kayvan

GT Owner
Jul 13, 2006
The Vette will be every 2 years. For new cars purchased in CA. the 1st inspection isn't required until the 6th year, 2 years thereafter. I don't know how you got under the radar on that one.

Registered it in Dec 12 and its a 2012 C6, maybe DMV rep got confused

Now I have to blow $450...somehow

Last edited:

Blue/white 06'
Mark II Lifetime
Relax.

To get a license plate on a Ford GT here in Norway costs today around 120.000USD.
The last GT500 costs new somewhere in the neighborhood of 300.000USD.

Cheers

So free healthcare isn't really Free after all.

Ed Sims

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 7, 2006
NorCal
Virginia outlaws radar detectors also. The only other "state" is DC. Robert E Lee is rolling in his grave.

Ed

Ed Sims

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 7, 2006
NorCal

LOL!!!!!

Ed

GT1261

GT Owner
May 28, 2012

Nope LOL.

GT1261

GT Owner
May 28, 2012
Used GT500 from 2010. 149.000 USD

http://www.finn.no/finn/car/used/object?finnkode=25606824&searchclickthrough=true

New Corvette 2014 223.000 USD

http://www.finn.no/finn/car/used/object?finnkode=50501921&searchclickthrough=true

At the moment the most popular cars over here is the new Tesla Model S and the Nissan LEAF.
A full spec Jetta is more expansive than a Tesla here because the gov have no import tax and custom fees on electric cars.
Cars that isn´t electric is mostly a small diesel engined. Yes my neighbors hate me. Just came back from US and I love you guys for your big engine mentality. Go US!!!

PeteK

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Apr 18, 2014
Kalama, Free part of WA State
Is Virginia part of USSR?
Nope, but I think Fairfax County is. Most of Virginia is pretty opposite California--except for the area around DC.

Kayvan

GT Owner
Jul 13, 2006
Property Tax on a depreciating asset is the definition of parasitic economic policy. Even Marx would call this bs

Xcentric

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 9, 2012
Myakka City, Florida
quo60-1.jpg

That said, Fairfax County has one of the strongest economies in the US, is the third wealthiest county (its neighbor Loudon County is #1), has some of the best public schools, more tech workers than Silicon Valley, 10 Fortune 500 company HQs, and has been cited many times for best governance practices.

It also has terrible traffic and is terribly unkind financially to people with high value personal property.

Last edited:

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
SF Bay Area in California
View attachment 36240

That said, Fairfax County has one of the strongest economies in the US, is the third wealthiest county (its neighbor Loudon County is #1), has some of the best public schools, more tech workers than Silicon Valley, 10 Fortune 500 company HQs, and has been cited many times for best governance practices.

It also has terrible traffic and is terribly unkind financially to people with high value personal property.
And where do you think all of the $ come from? Not Fairfax!