Crashed car, bumper delete in ten seconds...

HeritageBruce

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Mar 13, 2006
Southern CA
It pains me to report that I managed to lose control of the car last week, all while going straight with the tires fully warmed up and on fairly fresh Bridgestones. It all happened while I shifted in second gear and the tail started to come around and before I knew it, the right rear wheel hit the curb and hopped onto the side median and started skidding on wet grass, it then did a 180 after the rear brushed against a small tree and tore half of the bumper off.:frown So I'd like to caution my GT brothers & sisters to be really careful out there as winter is upon us and cold temps in the morning and flooring the gas pedal don't mix, even if you are going straight, even if you have driven the car on the freeway for 20 minutes!!! All it take is a blink of an eye and it is all over...

Now onto the damage and that where I need advise... So I thought the damage was bad but shouldn't be over $20K to $30K worth of repairs, but guess what? The place that I took the car to told my insurance company that the car is a total lost. How could this be? No matter how I look at the car, the damage can't be that bad. The doors open fine, air bags didn't deploy, not even the front hood is buckled, rear hatch is pinched a little as the rear section got pushed up a little. That's about it. Problem is my insurance doesn't cover the full value of the car so what options do I have now?

Here're a few pictures...

Wrong way to do bumper delete. Don't try this at home. Luckily the car missed the light pole on one side and the wall on the other side.
6529573685_d8670f18bc_b.jpg

No, Ford GT's don't have four wheel steering...
6529564943_eecd420766_b.jpg

Ouch...
6529503429_a3948d7fe7_b.jpg

Ouch ouch...
6529503089_9b66e1aa2c_b.jpg

Bent toe link
6529504623_2c48f1ccce_b.jpg

6529504089_081a3c931f_b.jpg

Kingman

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 11, 2006
Surf City, USA
Ouch Bruce. Glad you are OK!!!

I can't believe that this is a total loss. These insurance questions are sure damn tricky.

ChipBeck

GT Owner
Staff member
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 13, 2006
Scottsdale, Arizona
Ouch.

Problem is my insurance doesn't cover the full value of the car so what options do I have now?

Damn Bruce, that really sucks. I am certain that I hold the record for the longest 360 across wet grass (about 800 feet at VIR) and amazingly I didn't hit anything. But to answer your question, you take whatever your insurance company will give you, ship your car to the GT Guys, and pony up for the balance. If your car is way under insured then your insurance company will want to pay you your limit, take the car and sell it, and they won't be out that much. That's the risk in having any car/boat/plane under insured. Glad you're OK and hope you have your GT back on the road soon.

Chip

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
SF Bay Area in California
Sorry to see this happen to anyone. From the photos the damage looks very repairable and not a total as long as the frame isn't damaged, but FGT parts are pricey.

Blue/white 06'
Mark II Lifetime
I would fix the car too.

Not sure it helps here (with such a special car) but this article came up earlier this week. Discussing Insurance company's approach to totaling cars;

http://money.msn.com/auto-insurance/will-the-recession-total-your-car-carinsurance.aspx

Chris A.

GT #32
Mark II Lifetime
Feb 6, 2007
Ortega Mountain, CA
Sorry to hear about that Bruce...

GKW05GT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
May 28, 2011
Fayetteville, Ga.
Thanks for the eye opening reminder. Was your car insured for a value or is their offer from the blue book?

GTdrummer

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Mar 13, 2010
Richmond Virginia
Glad you are ok. That does not look bad at all. I agree--get Rich and Dennis involved quickly. Good luck.

roketman

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Oct 24, 2005
ma.
Bruce ,
If I were you I would contact Rich and Dennis of the Gt Guys.No one can repair this kind of damage better.
I would fix the car for 2 reasons.One you will never get what it's worth.As you know heritage cars fetch big money.I assume you still want to own a GT. Two your rates and driver points go in the crapper.
The Gt guys fixed a very early black Gt that was totaled .Like car # 2 or 3 .A very early build numberI was told by Tom R. and Mark M. that it was Dennis's baby.Evidently Dennis was so distraught,he got all emotional and teared up!Thats passion! Anyway he and Rich rebuilt the car in several months back to its true form.I have been told that Ford still owns the car .Of more interest Tom R. and others I have talked to say its' the very best built GT in the world ! All because it was hand built by these 2 GT Gods!
So my advice ,The Gt guys rule! Give em a call.
Best of luck and glad you are A OK!

RADGT

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Aug 31, 2006
Connecticut
I second the GT Guys. Detailed pics and send them on for a rough idea...then ship them the car.

Stu

cobrajeff

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Feb 5, 2006
Daytona Beach
Sorry to hear about your accident, Bruce. I'm sure the GT Guys can fix your car back to "like new".

It's a shame that these days, almost everything is considered "disposable" - hardly anybody will bother to "fix" anything anymore. Fortunately
we have passionate, talented craftsmen like Rich and Denis who love what they do, and are capable of working small (and large) miracles.

Hope everything works out with your insurance company, and your Heritage is back on the road again soon.

regards,

Jeff

paul b

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2006
Try to make the car as drivable as possible, drive it for awhile and see if you have deeper problems. This might help you in deciding your baby's future.

RALPHIE

GT Owner
Mar 1, 2007
Bruce ,
If I were you I would contact Rich and Dennis of the Gt Guys.No one can repair this kind of damage better.
I would fix the car for 2 reasons.One you will never get what it's worth.As you know heritage cars fetch big money.I assume you still want to own a GT. Two your rates and driver points go in the crapper.
The Gt guys fixed a very early black Gt that was totaled .Like car # 2 or 3 .A very early build numberI was told by Tom R. and Mark M. that it was Dennis's baby.Evidently Dennis was so distraught,he got all emotional and teared up!Thats passion! Anyway he and Rich rebuilt the car in several months back to its true form.I have been told that Ford still owns the car .Of more interest Tom R. and others I have talked to say its' the very best built GT in the world ! All because it was hand built by these 2 GT Gods!
So my advice ,The Gt guys rule! Give em a call.
Best of luck and glad you are A OK!

Ron is absolutely correct. Rich and Denis are the best for both evaluation and repair. It might even be worth flying one of them out for an evaluation and estimate, in order to counter the insurance company's offer.

Kayvan

GT Owner
Jul 13, 2006
Bruce,

Very sorry to hear; your calm review of facts is great for all of us. What were outside temps?

My math:

Given the rise in Heritage values, get it fixed; in3 yrs the car will appreciate that much in value alone. The past savings you have had in insurance and appreciation will cover cost of repairs. Mount the rear fascia as trophy.

Last edited:

nota4re

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 15, 2006
Bruce, as we discussed last weekend when you called, the damage to the car is very minor - hardly worthwhile IMO to justify transporting the car across the Country. The expense is in the panels and painting. In particular, both rear frame horns are damaged. These can be replaced OR you can do a RBD and likely save money in the process. Same for the bumper. The car needs a new rear butt skin and tail light - neither are inexpensive. The alignment of the rear now shifted over is very easy as there is just a C-shaped, 1" square halo bar that may need to be straigtened or replaced (it is NOT structural), and then you have (3) .5" round hollow aluminum rods per side holding the rear in position. The rear wheel has a busted toe-link (what you told me) and this also needs to be ordered.

Up front, you need a new nose piece (superficial, like the rear) and a new radiator. A new AC condensor might be in the cards as well.

80-90% of the cost to get this GT on the road again is in parts and paint. Labor is a minor part of the equation. JMO.

Last edited:

SteveA

GT Owner/B.O.D
Mark IV Lifetime
Dec 13, 2005
Sandpoint Id
Very sad to see Bruce, glad your OK and best of luck on the repairs.

Black GT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jan 2, 2006
Sorry to hear man....the good news is you are ok. Cars can be replaced. The other good news is the car doesn't look bad at all. The GT guys will have her as good as new.

H

HHGT

Bruce, sorry about the accident. Are you are still with the same insurance company? If you need help with the parts locally let me know I can help out. There is also a shop in Orange we can go see together if you like or I could possibly have him come to where the car is. He does some high end cars and his paint guy is really good.

Last edited:

roketman

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Oct 24, 2005
ma.
Bruce ,
You may want to forgo even going thru the insurance company.If they consider the car a total loss.( salvage title ).That would prompt me in to not filing a claim to avoid a salvage title.Of course that statement is all dependent on what Rich and Dennis have to say.
Best Regards,Ron

GT35065

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Wow, glad you are OK, that is the important thing. Thank you for warning us all once again how quickly things can go wrong. I was at Cars and Coffee with the GT on Saturday with my daughter and on the way home we did some strong second gear pulls with the original Goodyears. It gives one pause when I see what can happen in a hearbeat.