Crash safety, no substitute for SIZE! Buying a Smart car may be dumb!

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
SF Bay Area in California
The tests involved head-on crashes between the fortwo and a 2009 Mercedes C Class, the Fit and a 2009 Honda Accord and the Yaris and the 2009 Toyota Camry. The tests were conducted at 40 miles per hour, representing a severe crash.

In the fortwo collision, the institute said the Smart, which weighs 1,808 lbs, went airborne and turned around 450 degrees after striking the C Class, which weighs nearly twice as much. There was extensive damage to the fortwo's interior and the Smart driver could have faced extensive injuries to the head and legs. There was little damage to the front seat area of the C Class.

From

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/Small-cars-get-poor-marks-in-apf-14916242.html

dbk

The Favor Factory™
Staff member
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jul 30, 2005
Metro Detroit
Yeah, I'm not sure why this is a surprise. I've seen on this on all the news outlets like it's a shock. Let's face it, microcars are for city driving, and should be for little else. If you ever got the forward from Bony, you know what happens when a Smart gets drilled on the freeway, and it ain't pretty. The reality is American interstates are loaded with work trucks, SUVs, large sedans and semi-trucks and their trailers. They always will be as long as we have all this real estate.

It's just like when people were shocked that SUV's were more likely to roll than sedans. You mean to tell me something that's taller and narrower with a higher center of gravity is more likely to tip over than something shorter and wider with a lower center of gravity? No shit. Who'd have guessed that one?

Specracer

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Nov 28, 2005
MA
I logged 300 miles or so in a friends smart car last summer, I feel qualified to comment that I thought is was a huge POS, if it had a manual, I probably would not feel QUITE the same negativity (tranny was horrible). At 80 is quite eventful, lunging left and right, good thing there was 4 feet of lane to each side to absorb the travel.

The one surprise, it that the actual cockpit that you sit in is actually HUGE, and can accommodate tall people.

Here is my friend’s car on a Kart track in NY, they got it in through the lobby, pretty freakin funny:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SAwN9vpUnzk

Nardo GT

Jul 15, 2006
Texas
"Yeah, I'm not sure why this is a surprise. I've seen on this on all the news outlets like it's a shock. Let's face it, microcars are for city driving, and should be for little else. If you ever got the forward from Bony, you know what happens when a Smart gets drilled on the freeway, and it ain't pretty. The reality is American interstates are loaded with work trucks, SUVs, large sedans and semi-trucks and their trailers. They always will be as long as we have all this real estate.

It's just like when people were shocked that SUV's were more likely to roll than sedans. You mean to tell me something that's taller and narrower with a higher center of gravity is more likely to tip over than something shorter and wider with a lower center of gravity? No shit. Who'd have guessed that one?
"

Assactly! Reading my mind. And poor old Ford and Firestone drug thru the legal system:bs.......Gosh...10 lbs psi + 80mph + 150degree asphalt + SUV (see above) who would have thought it would blow a tire and roll.

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State
The tests involved head-on crashes between the fortwo and a 2009 Mercedes C Class, the Fit and a 2009 Honda Accord and the Yaris and the 2009 Toyota Camry. The tests were conducted at 40 miles per hour, representing a severe crash.

In the fortwo collision, the institute said the Smart, which weighs 1,808 lbs, went airborne and turned around 450 degrees after striking the C Class, which weighs nearly twice as much. There was extensive damage to the fortwo's interior and the Smart driver could have faced extensive injuries to the head and legs. There was little damage to the front seat area of the C Class.

From

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/Small-cars-get-poor-marks-in-apf-14916242.html

Occasionally (and ONLY occasionally) I see wunna those Fortwos on the freeway:eek in this area ('usually has Canadian 'plates), and I just can't help but wonder what the devil the occupants are using for brains. The car offers N-O-T-H-I-N-G at all in the passenger protection dept. 'Hit anything bigger than a squirrel, let alone a Kenworth, et al, and it's all over. Bony's fwd (mentioned above) only too graphically illustrates that point.

That said, I bet it'd be a blast as a track car with a Hayabusa in it!:lol

Pantera1

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Feb 12, 2008
Iowa
I logged 300 miles or so in a friends smart car last summer, I feel qualified to comment that I thought is was a huge POS, if it had a manual, I probably would not feel QUITE the same negativity (tranny was horrible). At 80 is quite eventful, lunging left and right, good thing there was 4 feet of lane to each side to absorb the travel.

The one surprise, it that the actual cockpit that you sit in is actually HUGE, and can accommodate tall people.

Here is my friend’s car on a Kart track in NY, they got it in through the lobby, pretty freakin funny:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SAwN9vpUnzk

Beef up the suspension and install a Hayabusa and try that again !! :eek

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f5S1NAMnYKM

PL510*Jeff

Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Nov 3, 2005
Renton, Washington
Big is better. Duh!

Under maritime law a sailing ship has the right of way over powered vessels. Last year I saw a 16' sailing dingy surfing the bow wave of a 900' tanker
.. .. ..trying to enforce "his" ownership to the Right of Way. Obviously the dingy driver could have been "dead right". :ack

The Insurance Institute loves to toot it's own horn, and poses as a non-profit scientifically based technical organization. If fact it is fully funded by the various for profit insurance companies. Who have a vested and highly leveraged interest in the outcome of the crash testing done by the Institute.

I'm sure that good things have come out of their testing, such as higher insurance rates for poorly performing vehicles, and of course the manufacturer's have improved their products because of this type of testing and the related bad press the Institute disseminates.

That's my $0.02.:banana

Pantera1

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Feb 12, 2008
Iowa
True, micros are riskier in collisions than the bigger vehicles but I'd rather be in a head-on in a Smartcar than on a motorcycle. Two airbags are better than none!....yet I continue to drive both. I've seen a Smartcar that hit a deer....no injury to the driver. I've known of several motorcycle accidents involving deer. Pretty high fatality rate! :usa

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
I'd rather be in an F150 than a Smart car during a collision!

Pantera1

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Feb 12, 2008
Iowa
I'd rather be in an F150 than a Smart car during a collision!

Well if the thread is going that direction....I'd rather be in a Hummer H-1 than in an F150 during a collision!! :biggrin

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State
If I had to be involved in a collision somehow, I'd prefer just to witness it.:ack

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
Well if the thread is going that direction....I'd rather be in a Hummer H-1 than in an F150 during a collision!! :biggrin

Well if we are open to larger vehicles with poor gas mileage I would choose a M1 Abrams tank.

M1A1_abrams_tank_5.jpg

Or if the road was wide enough one of these

t282b.jpg

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
If I had to be involved in a collision somehow, I'd prefer just to witness it.:ack

Then you wouldn't be involved, only an observer. The fact is, that would always be the case, since your cars never leave the garage except to go into a transport. :lol

Last edited:

Pantera1

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Feb 12, 2008
Iowa
OK, now it's poor mileage as well ! I'd rather be in the NASA crawler in a collision than bla,bla,bla !!

Attachments

• NASA's Crawler.jpg
    NASA's Crawler.jpg
    86.6 KB · Views: 93

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State
Then you wouldn't be involved, only an observer. The fact is, that would always be the case, since your cars never leave the garage except to go into a transport. :lol

'Took almost half an hour longer to see that post - or one similiar - than I figgered 'twould! :lol :tongue

And, Mr. Persnickety, technically there is no diff 'tween a witness and an "observer"...now, is there. And I'd submitt a witness in the strictest sense IS "involved"...at least emotionally on some level. Hence my stmt.

Why do you even bother, Pockets?
Oh, I don't know. Force of habit mebbe?
Why don'tcha jus' go gettcherself a ginger ale and fergiddaboutdit.
Alright. I think I will.

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
And, Mr. Persnickety, technically there is no diff 'tween a witness and an "observer"...now, is there. And I'd submitt a witness in the strictest sense IS "involved"...at least emotionally on some level. Hence my stmt.

I guess you can say an observer may be emotionally, but not physically, involved. I stand corrected!

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State
I guess you can say an observer may be emotionally, but not physically, involved. I stand corrected!

Great day in th' mornin'! I think I'm gunna put something IN that ginger ale! :lol

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
Great day in th' mornin'! I think I'm gunna put something IN that ginger ale! :lol

Did you mean prune juice instead?

FM99

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Mar 4, 2008
Iowa
Watch what you wish for. (Don't know if I can post a picture).

Attachments

• Truck.jpg
    Truck.jpg
    46.2 KB · Views: 81

Neilda

GT Owner
Oct 19, 2005
London, UK
Big is better. Duh!

Under maritime law a sailing ship has the right of way over powered vessels. Last year I saw a 16' sailing dingy surfing the bow wave of a 900' tanker
.. .. ..trying to enforce "his" ownership to the Right of Way. Obviously the dingy driver could have been "dead right".

That's crazy - and I can imagine the type of skipper to do that too.