Crank damper from Innovators West

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jason Watt

Had both, sold both
Mark II Lifetime
Oct 14, 2005
Copenhagen, Denmark
Just spoke to them and they tell me that the weight is aprox 10lbs which is half of the standard item. It's priced @ $900

products1.jpg

Reading that the crank is the sore point of the GT engine would it be worth going for when thinking of TTS or at least TT's in the near future??

dbk

The Favor Factory™
Staff member
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jul 30, 2005
Metro Detroit
I don't think anyone has adequately established that the crank is a sore point at any reasonable power level. Torrie's car has 21,000 miles at well over 900rwhp.

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
SF Bay Area in California
Saving 10 lbs for only $1000, I like that part. That is less than 25 cents a gram, I have paid way more than that to save weight on my bicycles!

Has anyone used Innovators dampers on a Mod Ford engine with good results?

Bill Oxley

GT Owner
Jun 15, 2006
Denver area

$900 for what? It's somewhat hard to believe that could be a 10 lb savings.

But what do I know?

Jason Watt

Had both, sold both
Mark II Lifetime
Oct 14, 2005
Copenhagen, Denmark
I don't think anyone has adequately established that the crank is a sore point at any reasonable power level. Torrie's car has 21,000 miles at well over 900rwhp.

I know that Joe was pushing it with 1300HP and stuff, but he snapped the crank...

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
These are racing parts as such are designed for frequent inspection.

From Innovators web site.

Dampener should be serviced every year for best results.

http://www.innovatorswest.com/instructions.cfm

When should my dampener be serviced? Whenever your engine requires internal maintenance. Otherwise, send your dampener in after every other season.

http://www.innovatorswest.com/faqs.cfm

Somehow I don't think the average GT owner is willing to yank and send there damper out for service each year.

dbk

The Favor Factory™
Staff member
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jul 30, 2005
Metro Detroit
I know that Joe was pushing it with 1300HP and stuff, but he snapped the crank...

No doubt will you break stuff at that level, but I think running any kind of street usable power level, the crank is fine. We've got a great deal of examples running around in the 800-950rwhp range that have encountered no such problems. I have yet to see anyone with first hand experience on an actual Ford GT engine at that power level with a problem..

Less weight is probably never a bad thing, but I don't think it's necessary unless you're really trying to push the limit.

Jason Watt

Had both, sold both
Mark II Lifetime
Oct 14, 2005
Copenhagen, Denmark
No doubt will you break stuff at that level, but I think running any kind of street usable power level, the crank is fine. We've got a great deal of examples running around in the 800-950rwhp range that have encountered no such problems. I have yet to see anyone with first hand experience on an actual Ford GT engine at that power level with a problem..

Less weight is probably never a bad thing, but I don't think it's necessary unless you're really trying to push the limit.

Very true - but like you also point out - less rotating mass is alway a gain (says the guy with 22" barrels on the rear :biggrin)
Just thougt that it would be less stress on the crank. And it also seems that Ford has decided to go lighter on the GT500 dampers for '08. Perhaps lighter that our dampers - does anyone know??

So far we only know of one GT engine break - and I that with well over the ton mark... Well done Ford :thumbsup

Dan Schoneck

Permanent Vacation
Oct 31, 2007
O.k Here is the Deal on the Balancer. The oem ford one is not a good Piece. It will come apart (Ie xplode after 7200 rpms) yes i know 98% will never see this. The I.W piece is tested to 12,500 rpms. It is also 10% overdriven so it goes from a little over 7'' crank pulley to 8''. So that means about 3 more lbs of boost. The factory balancer is 22lbs and the i.W is 10. TEN POUNDS OF RATATING MASS ON THE CRANK IS HUGE. It would be all around easier on parts and the motor will accelerate faster. It is also SFi Rated and i also know most of you don't care about that either.
The Balancing wieght on the Stock balencer starts at like 3+'' from the no1 main. On the innovators west it is 1.5 inches. Therefore when/if these were to rattle the motor w/big boost and pump gas, the balancer it doing a whoola loop out front during all of this.
Brad wadle (i.W) has test the Oem balancer and he will tell you any exact info on it you want. This balancer is also the same on the Gt500 Shelby and the balancer is part of the reason the motors don't rev over what they do.

Someone has been charging customers 2200.00 for this thing from what i have heard.

Later Dan and hope this helps

Last edited:

Jason Watt

Had both, sold both
Mark II Lifetime
Oct 14, 2005
Copenhagen, Denmark
What about this having to return it for service?? That steers me away from buying the thing

css 290

GT Owner
Sep 6, 2006
Mobile, Alabama
Anyone familiar with the cost of installation? Would this be something the Ford dealership GT mechanic would understand how to set up and/or adjust? Sounds appealing, but I am unfamiliar with the process.

Bill Oxley

GT Owner
Jun 15, 2006
Denver area

race item only, only racers should care.

Doesn't interest me. But it may some!

How often are we going to get even close to where this matters?

Jason Watt

Had both, sold both
Mark II Lifetime
Oct 14, 2005
Copenhagen, Denmark
What about this having to return it for service?? That steers me away from buying the thing

Just spoke to them again, and they say that it just needs a service every 30K miles.
I've decided to go for it and be a little gentle on my crank - and if the mortor decides to rev a little more free, well I can live with that :biggrin
I spent a grand on worse things in my life (and it even looked like a genuine Rolex Daytona before I had it on in the shower)

Last edited:

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
Just spoke to them again, and they say that it just needs a service every 30K miles.
I've decided to go for it and be a little gentle on my crank - and if the mortor decides to rev a little more free, well I can live with that :biggrin

Please give us a report on your findings!

dbk

The Favor Factory™
Staff member
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jul 30, 2005
Metro Detroit
Just to clear something up, I talked to SVT and this is something that's really only a concern for (very) high mileage cars or high power. The stock piece is a good piece and works just as designed. I'll skip it, but if you're going to put major power in the car, it might be worth it.

On the other hand, someone might want to check the 08 GT500 piece. It's over 10 lbs lighter than ours and if it's keyed the same way, I'm told it would work. And it's $295 bucks. Wouldn't that be nice :lol

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
On the other hand, someone might want to check the 08 GT500 piece. It's over 10 lbs lighter than ours and if it's keyed the same way, I'm told it would work. And it's $295 bucks. Wouldn't that be nice :lol

Is the GT500 piece the same diameter as the GT?

dbk

The Favor Factory™
Staff member
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jul 30, 2005
Metro Detroit

Hmm. I'll see if I can find out, but I would imagine. May or may not make a difference though with the key issue. He said they'll see if they can check tomorrow. Would be pretty cool if it worked.

Dan Schoneck

Permanent Vacation
Oct 31, 2007
Just to clear something up, I talked to SVT and this is something that's really only a concern for (very) high mileage cars or high power. The stock piece is a good piece and works just as designed. I'll skip it, but if you're going to put major power in the car, it might be worth it.

IT is the same but i have been told that they may have made it lighter but it is not much better. Remember there is .100 thou diff inbetween the 6 and 10 rib in the gt500 balancer compared to the gt balancer.
Ford will not warrenty the gt500 motor on a 07 w/ fords svt blower if you don't switch to the 08 balencer. Now this is on a 600hp warranty w/upraded blower. Now the gt already makes 600 and has the same balencer as the 07 Gt500?

Here is a pic enjoy.

Attachments

• gt500 balancer.jpg
    gt500 balancer.jpg
    36.4 KB · Views: 293

Dan Schoneck

Permanent Vacation
Oct 31, 2007

That would be correct

dbk

The Favor Factory™
Staff member
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jul 30, 2005
Metro Detroit
Now the gt already makes 600 and has the same balencer as the 07 Gt500?

Where's your proof that the GT balancer isn't suitable? We've got cars with over 60,000 miles with ZERO crank issues. One of my best friends has 40,000 miles and 600+rwhp with ZERO issues. We have cars with 20,000+ miles at over 1000hp with ZERO crank issues.

You have to realize that FRPP parts are subject to EXTREME reliability concerns no normal tuner would ever adhere to. They'll warranty the FRPP pulley/tune kit without changing the balancer, so obviously it's not a concern. Ford would be a WHOLE lot more concerned about eating the warranty cost of a Ford GT motor than a GT500 motor.

Status
Not open for further replies.