Cracked belly panels

Juan Cooldude

GT Owner
Jul 1, 2008
Hi All,
Anyone have these cracks on their car's belly panels? I've had them since I bought my car (with 2k miles on it).

The cracks don't look like they were caused by hitting a road bump, etc. Plus they appeared to crack at the same symmetrical location on the 2 panels. Any ideas on what caused this?

Thanks.

L1020496.jpg

L1020493.jpg

L1020494.jpg

H

HHGT

I'll bet this was the result of improper jacking with a follow up replacement to the center piece.. Ouch..

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
SF Bay Area in California
I agree with HHGT. One should be extremely careful who is allowed to work on the cars! The person should not only have the right equipment and knowledge, but the mindset to do the right thing as the 1st priority. Unfortunately that is not often the case, expediency and profits usually come 1st.

Aug 25, 2006
Sadly I too agree; likely someone screwed the pooch

The outside panels can be replaced albeit more difficult however as an OEM replacement they do "not" come E-coated aka black as such you have to source this.

Takes care

Shadowman

tmcphail

GT Owner/Vendor
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 24, 2006
St Augustine, Florida
bummer !

STORMCAT

GT
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
May 25, 2006
Ft. Lauderdale
I am not sure about the jacking theory. Those are the two panels on each side of the fuel cell cover. They are a long way from any known or reasonable place to attempt to jack up the car. These panels are very thin aluminum . If someone tried to jack up the car I think you would see some major indentations.
To me It looks like corrosion. There is foam that is part sealer and sound deadener. It is typically found in this area. It looks like something corrosive ( road salt battery acid ? ) may have come into contact or absorbed by the foam. Are you sure something did not corrode the Aluminum ? If I look at the edge of the adjacent panels I see some white staining.. road salt or salt water ??
I have heard of batteries leaking or cracking because thet were rapid charged. If acid were to leak from the battery it would run from the top of the front splitter panel to this area.

Last edited:

STORMCAT

GT
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
May 25, 2006
Ft. Lauderdale
Any updates after a closer inspection ?

Neilda

GT Owner
Oct 19, 2005
London, UK
The person should not only have the right equipment and knowledge, but the mindset to do the right thing as the 1st priority.

Absolutely....

That does look too symmetrical for, what would be, random corrosion. Looks like someone jacked up on the silver piece and then replaced the silver piece.

Could those corners be repaired?

Someone a while back made a very good repair on their diffuser - looking at the angles, that could repair.