Could it be wheel hop?

BELIZE91

GT Owner
Sep 7, 2006
Hartland MI
Took the car out for a ride today after parking it for the winter. Drove it real easy till it as well warmed up. Then it jumped on it about 10 miles an hour and ...bang bang.. bang. I thought I broke somthing. My passenger said "that's just a little wheel hop"... Everthing looks ok under the shell. Does anyone else get hop? I only have 800 miles on it, I drove it easy last fall after I got it, except for a few blasts on the freeway. Is it the torque lifting one wheel higher that does it?

fjpikul

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 4, 2006
Belleville, IL
Cold tires and cold pavement. You might double check tire pressure cold.

californiacuda

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Oct 21, 2005
Wheel hop was a big issue on the 03/04 cobra mustangs with irs, but haven't seen or heard it mentioned as a problem on the Gt before, I have seen some pretty hard launches, and on those, wheel spin and a little bit of rear squat were the only things seen.

Fubar

Totally ****** Up
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Aug 2, 2006
Dallas, TX
I haven't heard of that. I don't know how loud it was but I think I would head to your dealership and give it the once over just to be sure.

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State
Took the car out for a ride today after parking it for the winter. Drove it real easy till it as well warmed up. Then it jumped on it about 10 miles an hour and ...bang bang.. bang. I thought I broke somthing. My passenger said "that's just a little wheel hop"... Everthing looks ok under the shell. Does anyone else get hop? I only have 800 miles on it, I drove it easy last fall after I got it, except for a few blasts on the freeway. Is it the torque lifting one wheel higher that does it?

If you felt the back end of the car hop, hop, hop (or shudder) at the same time you heard the bang, bang, bang - that'd be wheel hop. But, if you FELT nothing ...'just heard the "bang" ... then there's probably something else afoot. (Note our tech savy phrasing here!:lol )
To answer your other question, I've never had wheel hop with mine. But, then again, I've never STOOD on the car either. (I know. Me bad.:frown )

GFORCE

GT Owner
Jan 14, 2006
Never had that happen.

Got on two stock gts more than a few times.Same with two with pulley and
all other mods and one with the whipple.They have never had wheel hop.

ByeEnzo

GT
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Dec 10, 2005
Fort Worth, TX
Wheel hop has been a problem with the new Z-06 with hard launches. Read on the Corvette Forum where a few guys have disintegrated their CV joints. Have not experienced it with my stock FGT.

digman1

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Feb 8, 2007
Dallas Texas
Could it be the tires flat spotting? How long was it sitting up?

californiacuda

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Oct 21, 2005
could it be loose axles?

MAD IN NC

Proud Owner/ BOD blah bla
Mark IV Lifetime
Feb 14, 2006
North Carolina
Not Halfshafts? Another Halfshaft thread?:bored NO................:ack

snaproll

GT Owner
Dec 3, 2006
Naples, FL
"that's just a little wheel hop"...

For sure.

BELIZE91

GT Owner
Sep 7, 2006
Hartland MI
Could it be the tires flat spotting? How long was it sitting up?[/QUOTE

Sat up since January. My buddy who is an old racer said cold pavement cold tires was the problem when I talked to him. I noticed some wheel spin at about 40 when I was on the on ramp to the freeway, never saw that before, so I am thinking its the cold road. No problems any other time.

Does anyone change the tire pressure from stock?

BELIZE91

GT Owner
Sep 7, 2006
Hartland MI
Not Halfshafts? Another Halfshaft thread?:bored NO................:ack

I hope not half shafts also!, They look fine and like I say no issues, the car is great otherwise. So do I understand most of you just get smooth wheel spin at a 5 or 10 roll when you jump on it?

MAD IN NC

Proud Owner/ BOD blah bla
Mark IV Lifetime
Feb 14, 2006
North Carolina
I hope not half shafts also!, They look fine and like I say no issues, the car is great otherwise. So do I understand most of you just get smooth wheel spin at a 5 or 10 roll when you jump on it?

Colder the road - more spin.... actually If I jump on it ~25-30 - spin happens, along with the shift through 2nd. (no pulley, Heffner pipes, tune - W/ Accufab TB)

GT Owner
Sep 30, 2006
Waconia MN
Could you have hit the revlimiter? not hard to do in first gear.

TEXAS GT

2006 Twin Turbo
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
I've stood on mine both before and after the Whipple. No wheel hop and no "bang, bang, bang"! Just lots of smooth wheelspin and fishtailing.

Could the road have been rough enough to have caused the wheel hop?

BELIZE91

GT Owner
Sep 7, 2006
Hartland MI
I've stood on mine both before and after the Whipple. No wheel hop and no "bang, bang, bang"! Just lots of smooth wheelspin and fishtailing.

Could the road have been rough enough to have caused the wheel hop?

Road seems Ok (for michigan) I will get it out again when we get another nice day and experiment a little. I never have "dumped" the clutch, since it has low miles. Perhaps there is dirt on the tires from the road I live on and it is not off when I get on the pavement. I would assume any other mechanical problem would show up during other drive times. The drivetrain is very quiet otherwise.

SteveA

GT Owner/B.O.D
Mark IV Lifetime
Dec 13, 2005
Sandpoint Id
Could you have hit the revlimiter? not hard to do in first gear.

That what it sounds like to me as well.

Silverbullitt

GT Owner
Mar 3, 2006
Lago Vista, TX
Don't forget another factor when it is cold. How about a free 50-75 more horsepower on boosted motors. I broke my tires loose in 3rd and other than accufab exhaust I'm stock.