cord for battery tender

DakotaGT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Dec 9, 2012
Sioux Falls, South Dakota
I did a thread search and found LOTS of info on using a battery tender, but I couldn't find where anybody discussed how to route the cord to the battery to the front of the car. I saw the CoolTech product, which is fine and I like the mounting location, but I can make the same thing from all the extra battery tenders/parts I have from my other vehicles (I love battery tenders). Can I fish the cord over the rubber seal on top of the radiator, or is there a better/easier way? Maybe I need to buy the CoolTech product just to get the instructions... :wink

twobjshelbys

GT Owner
Jul 26, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
I ended up buying the Cooltech kit just to get the cable. I already had a higher model of the same tender that is part of the kit and prefer it. The cable routes out the bottom. You have to drop the front splitter to route it out. It's very clean, especially mounting the connector is totally out of sight.

I would not run the cord over the top, it will wear and could result in direct shorting the battery. As I recall the Cooltech cable did have a fuse in line but I'd have to verify that assertion so don't take it as gospel.

Xcentric

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 9, 2012
Myakka City, Florida

THamonGT

GT
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Post 6 is exactly how I wired mine. Be sure to attach the cover over the end of the connection when not charging and driving (moisture). I keep mine attached to the battery tender when not being driven.

TO AWSUM

Ford GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 4, 2007
Niceville FL
I also discussed how I routed mine. So you don't have to do a lot of reading to find it, I removed the front trunk cover that covers the battery, etc. Then I took the 2-prong plug wire that comes with the battery tender and cut it in half (I bought my tender at K-mart for $20 or less which came with a 2-prong plug adapter and a 2 clamp adapter). I then soldered a long lamp cord to each cut end of the 2-prong adapter wire. I attached one end of the lengthened cord to the battery and the other 2-prong end to a vertical grill support. I did this by routing the lamp cord along the radiator frame to the left side of the car and found an opening between the radiator and fender well. I couldn't find a big enough opening on the right side fender near the battery or I would have routed it through there. I routed the wire through this left fender opening and attached the 2-prong plug to the closest upright support in the grill. There is a convenient screw at the top of the grill support for attachment of the 2-prong plug. Mounting the plug high on the vertical support makes the 2-prong plug unobservable unless you get down on your knees. When finished, all I have to do now is reach under the nose of the car to feel for the 2-prong plug and plug it in to the charger. Real easy mod.

nota4re

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 15, 2006
I emailed you our instruction in hopes that they can help you with your project.

DakotaGT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Dec 9, 2012
Sioux Falls, South Dakota
A huge "thank you" to everybody for the help! Kendall, much appreciated- I know who to call when I am ready to place my order for the transaxle cooler!