Cop Lights

Fubar

Totally ****** Up
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Aug 2, 2006
Dallas, TX
Does anyone know of any laws that prevent a person from putting red/blue lights on a civilian car? I know you'd be up shit creek if you used them but can you get in trouble for just having them on a car?

ShelbyStang

May 17, 2007
SoCal
In California i think it is illegal to have blue/red strobes in front and rear, even if they are off. I have a used police interceptor with fog lights behind the grill (blue lenses when off, shines white when on) and have been hassled for them being there while off. Now, it may be because i have an old cop car / its California. If there are any used car dealerships that pick up cop cars at auction I'm sure you could give them a call and they may have the knowledge. This is my knowledge of asking a dealership a couple years ago, and my knowledge is a bit hazy. Goodluck!

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
SF Bay Area in California
Does anyone know of any laws that prevent a person from putting red/blue lights on a civilian car? I know you'd be up shit creek if you used them but can you get in trouble for just having them on a car?

What the point of having them if you never intend to use them? Kind of like owning a FGT and never driiving it. Maybe EP will know if the lights are OK.

Fubar

Totally ****** Up
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Aug 2, 2006
Dallas, TX
What the point of having them if you never intend to use them? Kind of like owning a FGT and never driiving it. Maybe EP will know if the lights are OK.

I just meant to imply that I understand that if I am "caught" using them the implications are understood. The same goes for any activity that might (or might not) take place over 70mph on a public road.

However, I agree that there would be no fun had if I "never" used them :biggrin

Fubar

Totally ****** Up
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Aug 2, 2006
Dallas, TX
Nevermind, I found my answer:

Texas Statues said:
Sec. 547.305. RESTRICTIONS ON USE OF LIGHTS. (a) A motor vehicle lamp or illuminating device, other than a headlamp, spotlamp, auxiliary lamp, turn signal lamp, or emergency vehicle or school bus warning lamp, that projects a beam with an intensity brighter than 300 candlepower shall be directed so that no part of the high-intensity portion of the beam strikes the roadway at a distance of more than 75 feet from the vehicle.
(b) Except as expressly authorized by law, a person may not operate or move equipment or a vehicle, other than a police vehicle, with a lamp or device that displays a red light visible from directly in front of the center of the equipment or vehicle.
(c) A person may not operate a motor vehicle equipped with a red, white, or blue beacon, flashing, or alternating light unless the equipment is:
(1) used as specifically authorized by this chapter; or
(2) a running lamp, headlamp, taillamp, backup lamp, or turn signal lamp that is used as authorized by law.
(d) A vehicle may be equipped with alternately flashing lighting equipment described by Section 547.701 or 547.702 only if the vehicle is:
(1) a school bus;
(2) an authorized emergency vehicle;
(3) a church bus that has the words "church bus" printed on the front and rear of the bus so as to be clearly discernable to other vehicle operators;
(4) a tow truck while under the direction of a law enforcement officer at the scene of an accident or while hooking up to a disabled vehicle on a roadway; or
(5) a tow truck with a mounted light bar which has turn signals and stop lamps in addition to those required by Sections 547.322, 547.323, and 547.324, Transportation Code.
(e) A person may not operate highway maintenance or service equipment, including snow-removal equipment, that is not equipped with lamps or that does not display lighted lamps as required by the standards and specifications adopted by the Texas Department of Transportation.
(f) In this section "tow truck" means a motor vehicle or mechanical device that is adapted or used to tow, winch, or move a disabled vehicle.

Acts 1995, 74th Leg., ch. 165, Sec. 1, eff. Sept. 1, 1995. Amended by Acts 1999, 76th Leg., ch. 380, Sec. 1, eff. July 1, 1999.
:ack

ObeyMyFast!

GT Owner's son
May 5, 2009
San Diego
I have a PA system in my GTI with about 10 different sirens, 10 different animal sounds and 50 songs, as well as a mic. I have heard it's a felony to have one, but I can't confirm...

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
You can get some custom high powered LED lights that appear to be colorless until they are turned on. Can't see how you would get busted for that.

clements

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
had a security work truck on the ranch that had a light bar on the roof. was advised by highway patrol to take it off if it was to be driven on public roads.

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State

A friend of mine has a either a CHP or NHP police Camaro with ALL - ALL - the markings and bells & whistles on it that he drives to local shows - shotgun, AR-15, radios (disabled), the whole 9 yards. (Now, remember, we're talking Wash. State here.)

Anyway - JUST FOR YOU! - I called ol' Clayton and asked him your question. AS IT HAPPENS, he's driven said CHP car IN CALIFORNIA!!!! Now, what he has to do when the car's ON THE ROAD in ANY STATE he's driven it in, is to cover the RED/BLUES with a GREY lense (OR he takes the light bar completely off) and tape over the word "highway, or the word "patrol" (or both if he's ambitious). ALSO, when he's in Cali, he carries a LETTER from the Cali LEO commissioner explaining what he's all about.

Clayton sez you CAN be pulled over (and he HAS), but, it's always been his experience that everything turns out honky-dorry once they do the dance.

Hope that helps?

(EDIT: re: the weapons: they're loaded with DUMMY ROUNDS...no primers, etc., in 'em.)

(And SHUDDUP, 'ICE!)

Last edited:

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
I was right EP does know the answer! :lol

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State
I was right EP does know the answer! :lol

Yeeeew shur don't follow 'struckshuns very well...:bored

RALPHIE

GT Owner
Mar 1, 2007
I believe one could be charged with "impersonating a police officer" if found driving a vehicle on which such lenses were visible. Certain vehicles, such as ambulances (public or private), fire vehicles, etc. are exempted from this prohibition. On the other hand, yellow light bars are common on private vehicles that are used in either emergency or road work purposes. We use them on many vehicles for clearance of snow from both public and private places at the ski area. Contractors use them for maintenance equipment.

Last edited:

Fubar

Totally ****** Up
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Aug 2, 2006
Dallas, TX
Don't forget parking lot security. I have seen them with blue lights.

ChipBeck

GT Owner
Staff member
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 13, 2006
Scottsdale, Arizona
Can't have them.

Mark,

My company security guard has been hasseled about the lights on his car and he had to remove them. Another friend bought an old 1960's cop car on ebay and was immediatly busted for driving with those lights even though they were off.

Chip

93extxdps

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Jul 17, 2007
Texas
Lights

A lot of responsibility comes with owning and operating one of these.

Darin:thumbsup

Attachments

• 256.jpg
    256.jpg
    22.1 KB · Views: 64