Cooling system capacity

TACHY

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 4, 2006
Fort Myers, Florida
Can someone tell me what is the total cooling system capacity (in quarts) in order to flush and fill with 50/50 mix coolant and water? Should I use less coolant since south Florida never gets COLD? Searched threads, but didn't find the info. Thanks.

Howard

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 26, 2007
Florida/North Jersey
Remember, whoever refills the system should use a vacuum pump to avoid empty, er, I mean air pockets.

Howard

Lorenzo

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Dec 28, 2008
U.S.A.
Ok since no one wants to jump in here i guess i will go out on the perverbial limb and offer my 2-cents worth.

Usually there are one or two guys eager to help on a question like this and 50 or so guys ready to jump in and tell you how wrong the previous person was so here we go.

If you open up the Ford Gt workshop manual and turn to page 303-03a-1 and read the first paragraph it states System capacity as 31.0 L or 8.2 gallons

As for your question about the ratio or mix i would recomend doing it exactually as it was done from the factory regardless of your weather conditions.

Not only does it provide protection from freezing it also provides protection from boiling and corrosion i would strongly recomend not vearing off the 50/50 mixture.

Last but not least i would also add a couple bottles of water wetter.

Last edited:

Specracer

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Nov 28, 2005
MA
Glad I met you at the rally Lorenzo, that was a funny post....

Aug 25, 2006
Ok since no one wants to jump in here i guess i will go out on the perverbial limb and offer my 2-cents worth.

Usually there are one or two guys eager to help on a question like this and 50 or so guys ready to jump in and tell you how wrong the previous person was so here we go.

If you open up the Ford Gt workshop manual and turn to page 303-03a-1 and read the first paragraph it states System capacity as 31.0 L or 8.2 gallons

As for your question about the ratio or mix i would recomend doing it exactually as it was done from the factory regardless of your weather conditions.

Not only does it provide protection from freezing it also provides protection from boiling and corrosion i would strongly recomend not vearing off the 50/50 mixture.

Last but not least i would also add a couple bottles of water wetter.

Nicely done; thank you

As for mix percentage, I share the following as you requested; when I am dealing with gals in the warmer regions I will cut the mix back resulting in 75% water and also include Redline's Water Wetter. The greater percentage of water will promote cooler operating temperatures however the greater issues is making certain that there is no air within the systems.

Takes care

Shadowman

TACHY

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 4, 2006
Fort Myers, Florida
Thank you all for the insight. Much appreciated!

MNJason

GT Owner
May 14, 2010
San Diego
+1 on Water Wetter for any region

junior

GT Owner
Mar 9, 2007
So Cal
Do you use tap water, de-ionized water or distilled water in the mix ?

Not 4N

Tungsten GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 5, 2006
Calgary AB
Remember water wetter is less effective with the higher the anti-freeze mix. The less anti-freeze the more effective water wetter is.
Less glycol - 25%-30% and distilled water, water wetter, and a vacuumed system make for great results. You need the anti-freeze for corrosion protection but not for freezing so 100% distilled water is not the way to go.

nota4re

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 15, 2006
If you simply drain the radiator at the petcock, I think you will only be able to get about 2 gallons of coolant out. There's two Allen plugs (one either side of the block itself) and it you remove these it will rain for a couple of days under the GT.

red gt 1442

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Dec 23, 2005
NY Metro Area
Can anyone elaborate on Evans Cooler?

Gino

RALPHIE

GT Owner
Mar 1, 2007
The mixture ratio not only changes the freezing point, but also affects the boiling point, as does the pressure capability.

Gerry

Oct 13, 2006
Dearborn, Michigan
When adding water/antifreeze mix to the cooling system, always use distilled water. Regular tap or well water has been casuing havoc in diesel engine cooling systems. Ford is now going to selll only a premixed antifreeze with distilled water.

gerry

Art138

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jan 4, 2011
Weston,FL
What type of vaccum pump do most of you use for this purpose???

paul b

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2006
What type of vaccum pump do most of you use for this purpose???
I used the air-lift system, but you need a compressor.

Art138

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jan 4, 2011
Weston,FL
Paul B....thks,just ordered one.