Cooling Question

tkennedy41

GT Owner
Apr 12, 2012
Yardley, Pa
A week ago I noticed my car was running at 200 deg when my speed was below 30mph but the temp dropped if I stayed steady over 40mph. I was afraid the fans were inop but when I turned on the aircon I could hear the fans and the temp dropped. Today the car was as high as 210 deg and again only dropped when I stayed above 40mph. I decided to run the aircon while driving and the temp dropped to 180 deg. Any ideas. I like driving with the windows open and I don't usually have my air on.

debtdrives

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Apr 20, 2007
Oakland, Michigan 48363
only 1 fan runs, without a/c on. your choice.

tkennedy41

GT Owner
Apr 12, 2012
Yardley, Pa
Do you know at what temp the fans comes on. The car was near 200 deg and neither fan was on (pretty sure), when I turned the air on, both fans came on. I recheck it again next run.

MNJason

GT Owner
May 14, 2010
San Diego
Fans come on at 212 with OEM tune.

tkennedy41

GT Owner
Apr 12, 2012
Yardley, Pa
Thanks, it might be I'm just not getting that high. Is it different for the Air Cond system. They definitely come on at a lower temp?

The Grey Ghost

GT Owner
Mar 13, 2009
Kansas City
Thanks, it might be I'm just not getting that high. Is it different for the Air Cond system. They definitely come on at a lower temp?

When the A/C is on, the fans will default to on to cool the A/C condensor and freon.

MNJason

GT Owner
May 14, 2010
San Diego
Rich suggested to turn on the AC around 180 if you think you are going to be tooling around in traffic. Much easier to keep the temps low then to have them kick on at 212 and have to work (hard) to get them lower.

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
SF Bay Area in California
You can get a custom tune from Torrie to turn the fans on at any temp you want.

Fubar

Totally ****** Up
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Aug 2, 2006
Dallas, TX
Is 212 a big deal? Anti-freeze (or water wetter) in a pressurized system shouldn’t have issues until 240ish… most engines run better a little hot.

RALPHIE

GT Owner
Mar 1, 2007
If you like having the windows open, an easy solution is to turn on the AC, but set the temp level close to ambient, and the inside fan speed to minimum. That will turn on the front fans, but not tax the AC system, other than to have it occasionally start the compressor. This is probably a good thing, as it will keep the seals wetted in the AC system.

Last edited:

tkennedy41

GT Owner
Apr 12, 2012
Yardley, Pa
Appreciate all the responses. Can always count on this Forum for answers. THANKS!

fjpikul

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 4, 2006
Belleville, IL
You might want to search for driving with the windows open and delaminating of the window frame.