Cooler

Desi

GT Owner
Jan 30, 2006
Germany
looking for you advise - want to install an oil cooler as the oil pan of my GT is wet again. Any suggestions which one I should prefere to buy? Ford or Cool Tech? Has anyone of the Forum experienced both?

Thanks
Desi

ViperJoe

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 17, 2006
Washington Crossing, PA
I choose the FRPP unit for the sake of originality, but many have chosen Cool Tech and the performance, quality and fit are reported to be comparable at a reduced price.

If the transaxale vent is weeping, I'd suggest installing the transaxle breather extender offered by GT Saver.

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State
Chad Ernst highly recommends the Cool Tech unit.

MAD IN NC

Proud Owner/ BOD blah bla
Mark IV Lifetime
Feb 14, 2006
North Carolina
Cooltech LLC from Kendal is what I have. Bolts right in - easy and no oil seepage!

Just don't drop any tools or you'll have to take off the diffuser :bored

Desi

GT Owner
Jan 30, 2006
Germany
Thanks folks for your comments!
Desi

P.S. Additional breather necessary if cooler installed or not???

nota4re

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 15, 2006
Additional breather necessary if cooler installed or not???

Hi Desi,

The transaxle weeping is caused primarily by the excessive operating temps of the transaxle. The vent breathers will solve the unsightly weeping but obviously do not address the temperatures. My experience is that with either cooler, the weeping is 90-100% stopped because the oil is no longer being vaporized.

Attached is a visual comparison of both coolers installed. (Photo used by explicit permission of owner.) Ford has sourced the cooler from Honeywell and the Cool Tech unit utilizes a Setrab cooler.

FordCoolTech.jpg

Note that the Cool Tech cooler can be purchased with either the blue/red fittings (as shown) or the all black mil-spec fittings. Both coolers utilize the factory installed nutserts so no drilling or other mods are required.

Finally, here's a pic of my car with the 5 lb Halon Fire Supression system installed in case you would eventually be interested in pursuing this.

HalonBottSetrab.JPG

Hope this helps.

Last edited:

Desi

GT Owner
Jan 30, 2006
Germany
Hope this helps.

Perfect!
ThanXS :cheers

Desi

Heffner Performance

*Supporting Vendor*
Supporting Vendor
Feb 22, 2006
I've used several of the Cooltech units and could not be more satisfied. Considering that the fit, finish and quality of install on the Cooltech units are so good and the fact that they are significantly less expensive than the Ford coolers I can't imagine why anyone would not go with Cooltech. My $.02

Neilda

GT Owner
Oct 19, 2005
London, UK
I have a breather and the FRRP cooler. I doubt the breather was needed once the cooler was installed - but I like the look!

Specracer

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Nov 28, 2005
MA
My 2c FWIW It will boil down to looks and cost. I went Ford, as I wanted an original look. The cool tech is a nicer kit (using all AN hardware and braided lines) where the ford is just tubing, with crimped rubber lines. Cool tech is much better quality, and less $, but again does not have the stock "look".....

06fordgt

GT
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Nov 8, 2006
Toronto Canada
Desi I went with cool tech. great product easy to install fit in all the factory holes. Also designed for the Halon fire suppression system to bolt right on. That will be done next week as I am waiting for it to be delivered/passed at customs.

Desi

GT Owner
Jan 30, 2006
Germany
CoolTech order placed!
Thanks to all of you for your great support in this matter. Glad to be part of such a nice GT family :thumbsup

Desi

Last edited:

TEXAS GT

2006 Twin Turbo
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
I can vouch for Cooltechs products but more importantly their warranty. Kendall really stands behind his products. I've never had an easier experience with a warranty replacement. We weren't even sure it was the products fault but he replaced it anyway with no questions asked.

Being an official Ford product won't add to the value of the car and Ford doesn't need your money.

Buy it from the little guy who also happens to be a fellow GT owner!

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State
(1) ... and Ford doesn't need your money.

(2) Buy it from the little guy who also happens to be a fellow GT owner!

(1) 'Disagree with THAT!:lol
(2) 'TOTALLY AGREE with that! :thumbsup :thumbsup :thumbsup

OCPETE

GT Owner
Nov 20, 2006
Killer Dana, CA
Good choice...Kendall Rox :thumbsup

standj

GT OWNER
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 23, 2007
Wyoming
Just installed the Ford cooler last night , do you have to add any transaxle oil due to the cooler and lines????

John

Desi

GT Owner
Jan 30, 2006
Germany
Yes you have - received the cooler yesterday from cooltech! Perfect service as the oil was also included! Highly recommended! :thumbsup

Thanks again for your advise and I am happy that I picked cooltech!!! :cheers

Desi

AZGT

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Dec 20, 2005
Scottsdale, AZ.
Just installed the Ford cooler last night , do you have to add any transaxle oil due to the cooler and lines????

John

I did the CoolTec. For that cooler you add .7 guart of tansaxle fluid. I would think you would need to also - add the capacity of the cooler (and maybe the lines).

usmcfred

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Oct 26, 2006
Massachusetts
Guys, I have one Ford Racing Products complete Transaxle Cooler Kit part number M-7095-GT, brand new, never installed, still in the Ford boxes. If you want to keep you FGT 100% OEM original, this is the cooler for you. The kit includes the heat exchanger, hoses/tubing, hardware, AN fittings, mounting brackets and easy installation instructions. All you need is to buy one quart of transaxle lubricant from any Ford dealer parts dept and add approx 7/8 of a quart after installation. All brackets line up perfectly with the pre-drilled and tapped frame holes and the brackets are even painted the same Argent silver to match the GT's underhood frame and struts. These brackets also include vibration dampers for added protection of the heat exchanger, tubing and AN fittings. The heat exchanger is beautifully welded and has a natural aluminum finish. It has been reported on this Forum that Ford would have shipped our cars with this exact system installed had it not been for Federal weight classification concerns and cost reasons.

I am willing to let this go to a fellow Forum Member for $1,025. which is 20% or $254.00 under The $1,279.00 that FRP charges. You will also avoid paying any sales tax.

PM me if interested as it's first come first serve and I only have ONE kit. You can pick it up if you're located near Massachusetts, or I'll ship it to you for whatever the actual UPS Ground charges are. usmcfred

MR2Race

FGT The Velvet Hammer
Apr 6, 2006
Northville Mi.
Breather wet W/ Oil

My 2 cents.

I believe the oil cooler and a transaxle breather address two different problems that are not interrelated.

The cooler will only reduce gear oil temps and is required for track use.

A Transaxle Breather vent controls the oil vapor that will ride along with the air that is slowly evacuating from the transaxle as the unit comes up to normal operating temperature.

This is a normal process for all gearboxes and axles on all cars and trucks.
What makes it different for the Ford GT you ask? The mess created by the breather is trapped in the under tray and is on display every time you lift the clamshell to show off the monster.

I was the Data Guy @ SVT development.
And was against not having a Trans cooler on the GT in production units.
Until the data driven testing was over.

There is no transaxle over temp problem 99% of the time.

I will help anyone who wishes, instrument there car and we can monitor the Trans axle oil temp.

The set point is 300 deg. F as the oil starts to degrade at 325.

The simple fact is the oils temp has no relation to the breather expelling vapor.

I will help other test this fact as required.

The cooler is required at low speed tracks that force the use of first and second gear.
And you will not see excessive transaxle oil temp. Until you burn the second or third tank of fuel with out a cool down period.

The deal, you set up a test and I supply the data equipment and sensors.
And we can report the results on this format. Any takers ?