Coolant and Electrolysis

AJK

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 12, 2006
I tested the coolant with a multimeter set on DC 20 scale and get a reading higher than .1. According to the article on Pelicanparts website (see below) this could be caused by a missing or poor accessory ground. I've also used a test strip which indicates the coolant is still OK. I've tested other vehicles with the multimeter and the readings range from .01 to .05 and they also test the OK with a test strip. Can some of you test your coolant with a multimeter and report your findings?

" How can you test for electrolysis? Other than actually seeing visible signs of erosion, you can perform a current flow test. Connect the negative terminal of a voltmeter to the chassis ground. Test for adequate continuity by touching another point on the chassis - the resistance should be near to zero. With the engine cold and running, submerge the positive probe into the coolant tank, making sure that the probe does not touch any metal parts. The voltage should be less than .10 volts. If not, methodically turn off or unplug each electrical accessory until the reading reads below .10 volts. Have an assistant switch accessories (like the A/C compressor, heater blower, etc.) while you measure the voltage.

If an accessory doesn't have an on/off switch, test it by temporarily running a ground from the housing of the accessory to the chassis. Ground each component and check the voltmeter. If the wire restores a missing ground connection to the accessory, then you've found a component with a faulty ground.

During this test, be sure to check the starter. Not only will a poorly grounded starter struggle to turn over the engine, it will also zap away tremendous amounts of metal in your cooling system components. Watch the meter carefully when starting the engine. Any voltage spike will indicate a faulty ground connection."