Contemplating purchase of another GT...Prior damage impact on resale?

lthlvpr

GT Owner
Mar 8, 2006
Potentially pulling the trigger on another GT. The car has has prior damage requiring replacement of 1 body panel. However, no supporting docs/receipts/photos come with the car. Thought I could engage the GT Guys to do a thorough pre-purchase inspection. Given the high demand and desirability of low mileage, pristine cars, I don't have a good handle on the resale hit for a car with prior damage. Car also has TT system which may have another impact on resale.
Need your expertise on how much this impacts desirability and resale value.

Thanks in advance.

RALPHIE

GT Owner
Mar 1, 2007
If properly repaired, why should it be any different? Cars were damaged at the factory during assembly, and replacement parts put on - what difference does it make when the replacement was installed, as long as it was done properly. And to have done properly, go to the GT Guy!!

shelbyelite

PERMANENTLY BANNED
May 10, 2007
Car advertised as having an Underground turbo system and shows receipts, but by the pics is clearly a Heffner. Carfax shows it hit a guard rail. Highly doubt the extent of the damage was just one panel. Carfax also has multiple mileage discrepancies. To each his own, but that car has way too many red flags in my opinion...

nautoncall

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Apr 6, 2014
If properly repaired, why should it be any different? Cars were damaged at the factory during assembly, and replacement parts put on - what difference does it make when the replacement was installed, as long as it was done properly. And to have done properly, go to the GT Guy!!

I'm with Ralphie on this one. If you can get in another GT reasonably priced and a TT car for that matter. I would get it checked out by someone that can give an adequate assessment. Good luck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

nautoncall

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Apr 6, 2014
Let me somewhat retract my above post after reading the title more clearly... "Prior damage impact on resale".

If you are buying to enjoy and have basically two different cars..a stock car and a TT car, then go for it and drive the crap out of it. If you are buying thinking about resale then don't think it's going to appreciate much. If purchased "right" I wouldn't think you would lose money if the car checks out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sharona

GT Owner
Oct 28, 2015
SF Bay area
I agree Own and drive the damaged one, but dont look at it as an investment, conversely, you could lose significantly

lthlvpr

GT Owner
Mar 8, 2006
Thanks for the feedback. For reference, when I mentioned 'impact on resale', I was referring to my purchase price, not the potential price if I were to sell it at a later date. Obviously, I would expect any prior damaged FORD GT will take a hit, just not certain how big of a hit.