Considering going Twin Turbo

metalman

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Nov 22, 2006
I'm thinking about going TT on my Heritage. Is there anyone near Chicago / Milwaukee that would share a ride in theirs? I can't pull the trigger on this without a ride, etc as I like the car how it is, just need more power. I don't have any TT experience so I have no idea how it feels to drive a TT car vs. stock SC. I do like being able to steer a bit with the rear wheels around town, does the TT have the torque / control to do that?

shelbyelite

PERMANENTLY BANNED
May 10, 2007
Give me a call next week. We would be happy to do a Heffner turbo system if you are interested since I have had my hands on your car before, only natural that we should be the ones to mod it... :)

nota4re

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 15, 2006
You need to drive one first. Man, I don't know about a drive but you could minimally get a ride in one if you could come out to MMP next week. Perhaps more importantly, you can talk to the owners and there will be several there that have experienced each and they can give you their opinions.

tmcphail

GT Owner/Vendor
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 24, 2006
St Augustine, Florida
This man needs a few moments of seat time and his mind will be made clear on what path to choose.

jaxgt

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Jul 12, 2006
I think you need one of each !

PeakCompletions

Boost is an addiction...
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 6, 2007
West Texas
the TT setup is attractive because of the linear and controllable power... and in many cases using the turbo lag to avoid blowing the tires off...

turbo setups need to be at a higher rpm to spool the turbos and once spooled power comes on really fast... let out of the gas and you have to respool the turbos etc and repeat vs the SC which you can just throttle steer with instant power... the TT system will definitely blow the tires off if you are purposely trying to do that, but if I read you right the low rpm high torque muscle feel is lost with the TT system vs the SC system...

food for thought... agree that you should drive one

once you do though be careful because the TT shines in other areas and you may just be committed at that point :willy

:cheers

Last edited:
H

HHGT

There are enough guys in SoCal with every concievable configuration that can accomodate a ride or test drive. Considering the $ involved I would highly suggest a trip to the local C&C to evaluate.

dbk

The Favor Factory™
Staff member
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jul 30, 2005
Metro Detroit
I'm thinking about going TT on my Heritage. Is there anyone near Chicago / Milwaukee that would share a ride in theirs? I can't pull the trigger on this without a ride, etc as I like the car how it is, just need more power. I don't have any TT experience so I have no idea how it feels to drive a TT car vs. stock SC. I do like being able to steer a bit with the rear wheels around town, does the TT have the torque / control to do that?

Since you're asking about a TT car vs. a stock SC, I'll give you my opinion on that. I had the car stock for about 900 miles, pulley/tune for about 10,000, and it's been twin turbo for about 12,000 miles. With the stock blower with either a stock pulley or a smaller one, the car definitely feels different on the hit. That lasts for about 1-1.5 seconds (or less if you ride around with higher rpms). The turbo setup will never feel torquey in 3rd gear at 40 mph vs. stabbing the throttle at any time in virtually any gear with a twin screw blower on it. That's relative though. I think my car made something like 750 rwtq at 4500 rpm so it's not exactly a Honda. With the stock SC on the car, it had enough torque to just yank the car around the track in 3rd gear through most corners. That's not an option in a TT car unless you want to be crawling around the track. As for using the throttle to steer, I'd say at any significantly higher power level than stock, that's a dangerous proposition. At the track, I've come out of corners sliding around on the throttle which is massively grin inducing, but that's definitely too risky for my bloody to do with any regularity on the street. Then again, instant torque is usually what bites people when they lose these things, so you can get in trouble in many ways with many configurations.

If you have questions about other setups, feel free to ask, and people with direct experience on those setups will be able to comment. Someone like PeakCompletions that has owned every conceivable combo or Shelby that has installed and heavily driven them are a good reference.

Depending on where you are and how dirty you like to get, I pass Chicago on my way home to Detroit. You'd be tasked with helping unload the car but I'd be happy to give you a ride.

tmcphail

GT Owner/Vendor
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 24, 2006
St Augustine, Florida
Right on Dave there is definitely a wealth of information in here with various setup's. I can't compete with the multiple car guys but my single GT has gone through 5 various power adder configurations and I am still digging TT+NOS right now :lol:lol:lol

That being said spending time in the vehicle modified one way or the other is the best way to gauge what you like personally.

Last edited:

FBA

GT Owner
Dec 5, 2010
31.022340° N / 44.846191° W
I thought the TT kits left the S/C in place and you use both, gaining lots of TQ up high and having the low down TQ from the S/C, no?

H

HHGT

I thought the TT kits left the S/C in place and you use both, gaining lots of TQ up high and having the low down TQ from the S/C, no?

That is the Hennessey configuration.

tmcphail

GT Owner/Vendor
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 24, 2006
St Augustine, Florida
TT = Twin Turbo
TTSC = Twin Turbo feeding the stock Blower

metalman

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Nov 22, 2006
Thansk for the generous offer Dave, I'm going to revisit this in spring and have the GT guys install the pulley / tune that I bought 4 years ago, they'll be in WI in a couple of weeks.

Since you're asking about a TT car vs. a stock SC, I'll give you my opinion on that. I had the car stock for about 900 miles, pulley/tune for about 10,000, and it's been twin turbo for about 12,000 miles. With the stock blower with either a stock pulley or a smaller one, the car definitely feels different on the hit. That lasts for about 1-1.5 seconds (or less if you ride around with higher rpms). The turbo setup will never feel torquey in 3rd gear at 40 mph vs. stabbing the throttle at any time in virtually any gear with a twin screw blower on it. That's relative though. I think my car made something like 750 rwtq at 4500 rpm so it's not exactly a Honda. With the stock SC on the car, it had enough torque to just yank the car around the track in 3rd gear through most corners. That's not an option in a TT car unless you want to be crawling around the track. As for using the throttle to steer, I'd say at any significantly higher power level than stock, that's a dangerous proposition. At the track, I've come out of corners sliding around on the throttle which is massively grin inducing, but that's definitely too risky for my bloody to do with any regularity on the street. Then again, instant torque is usually what bites people when they lose these things, so you can get in trouble in many ways with many configurations.

If you have questions about other setups, feel free to ask, and people with direct experience on those setups will be able to comment. Someone like PeakCompletions that has owned every conceivable combo or Shelby that has installed and heavily driven them are a good reference.

Depending on where you are and how dirty you like to get, I pass Chicago on my way home to Detroit. You'd be tasked with helping unload the car but I'd be happy to give you a ride.

FBA

GT Owner
Dec 5, 2010
31.022340° N / 44.846191° W
That is the Hennessey configuration.
Is that the best way to go - pro's /cons?

Mullet

FORD GT OWNER
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 21, 2008
Houston Texas
Is that the best way to go - pro's /cons?

I believe so. Power down low and power up high. Hard to beat as an overall package.