Competition Belt Installation

Craig

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Mar 14, 2006
San Diego
I am planning on running the Silver State Classic in May and needed to add blets and a fire extinguisher. I know that there was an earlier post on Comp belts, but the eye bolts used don't line up with the cutouts in the seat, and take up too much room. The alternative of bolting a flat bracket is not a good solution either and won't pass tech. I came up with the solution that is quite clean. I use the bag behind the seats to hold the belts when not in use. The lap belts and crotch straps just unclip and the factory belts remain in place. The bar is toggled such that it doesn't pinch the harness. It is 1/2" solid steel rod. I flattened the ends, drilled holes and bolted in place.

Attachments

• img_1229.jpg
    img_1229.jpg
    48.9 KB · Views: 953
  • img_1230.jpg
    img_1230.jpg
    71 KB · Views: 951

B O N Y

MODERATOR & FGT OWNER
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 5, 2005
Fresno, Ca.
well done, congrats

lthlvpr

GT Owner
Mar 8, 2006
Craig-
Looks great. Check your PM.

Craig

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Mar 14, 2006
San Diego
Lap Belts and crotch strap install

The fittings I found at a race shop in San Diego. They are made for Porches and are intended to be used with the factory belts in place and utilize the same mounting locations. The long ones go on the tunnel side and the short one mounts on the outboard side. There are two long ones because two clips cannot fit onto on bracket. The short one can take two brackets, one for the lap belt and one for the crotch strap.

Attachments

• img_1235.jpg
    img_1235.jpg
    59.7 KB · Views: 946
  • img_1232.jpg
    img_1232.jpg
    62.4 KB · Views: 949
  • img_1246.jpg
    img_1246.jpg
    34.4 KB · Views: 938
  • img_1236.jpg
    img_1236.jpg
    57.2 KB · Views: 946
  • img_1238.jpg
    img_1238.jpg
    37.7 KB · Views: 931

Craig

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Mar 14, 2006
San Diego
Fire ext. and last belt pics

You guys are fast. You already post before I can upload everything. :biggrin Here is a photo showing how the lap belts can clip into the outboard bracket. When in use I plan on protecting the aluminum sill plates with same low tack duct tape. The fire Ext bracket mounts between the seat and the adjusting rail. That way it remains close to the seat and out of the way no matter where the seat is adjusted.

Anyone else want to do the Silver State?

Attachments

• img_1242.jpg
    img_1242.jpg
    58.9 KB · Views: 931
  • img_1239.jpg
    img_1239.jpg
    46.1 KB · Views: 926
  • img_1240.jpg
    img_1240.jpg
    36.4 KB · Views: 1,042

B O N Y

MODERATOR & FGT OWNER
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 5, 2005
Fresno, Ca.
Craig, what's your target speed? Gary Patterson still the competition director?
Great event, you running with a navigator or solo, installing GPS?

STORMCAT

GT
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
May 25, 2006
Ft. Lauderdale
Craig,
I sent you a PM..

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
SF Bay Area in California
Great setup, do you mind posting part number and contact information for getting the clips?

BlackICE

Ed Sims

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 7, 2006
NorCal
brackets are made by Brey-Krause, Safecraft fire extinguishers are #1

Those are cool aluminum harness brackets made by Brey-Krause. They also make a good selection of extinguisher brackets.

A car like the GT should have a fire extinguisher to match it. Check out the Safecraft PC series of hand held Halon extinguishers. I have a black anodized 2.5 lb. Different color options to match your GT. The aluminum billet bracket with quick release has exotic written all over it!

You can see/buy the above at www.livermoreperformance.com or the extinguishers direct at www.safecraft.com

Ed

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
Thanks, Ed.

I found the place and parts here. I might have to take a drive to Livermore to get them.

BlackICE

http://www.livermoreperformance.com/porsche_harness_mounts.html

Ed Sims

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 7, 2006
NorCal
Go to bed Black Ice!

You asked for the brake rotor weights in another thread Black Ice. Each SVT rotor is 3 lbs lighter than stock! Unsprung weight!!!

Dave at Harrold Ford in Sacramento gave me a killer deal on the cost & install.

Ed

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
That is a significant weight savings. Do you know if anyone sells the rotors separate from the hat? I am correct assuming that these rotors have the same dimensions as the stock one? If so, I would assume the main benefit is less unsprung weight and maybe a little better cooling than the stock ones. However I always view rotors as disposable items and these would cost a lot more to replace when they are shot.

BlackICE

Craig

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Mar 14, 2006
San Diego
Thanks, Ed.

I found the place and parts here. I might have to take a drive to Livermore to get them.

BlackICE

http://www.livermoreperformance.com/porsche_harness_mounts.html

Those are the parts. In San Diego they let me break up the sets and hardware to get the parts needed for the GT, which is a little different than the Porsche's. I needed additional stepped busings (from the same source) to make it all work.

Craig

Craig

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Mar 14, 2006
San Diego
Harness Bars

I've had some inquiries about supplying the harness bars. They are time consuming to make individually, but I think I can make up a transfer forging die and drill fixture to make them significantly easier to produce. If there is sufficient interest I will look into the dies. Let me know.

Craig

Lgaruti

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Feb 17, 2006
Seminole, Fl
Nice Job Craig! Just remember you'll have to pin the belt snap on connector to pass Silver State tech.

Bony, Gary is still with Shelby but not the Silver State race director.

See WWW.SSCC.US for Silver State Info.

Larry

Ed Sims

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 7, 2006
NorCal
SVT Rotors to answer BI's question

I'm sorry, I know this thread is not about the rotors but to answer your question Black Ice - the rotors are the same size as the stockers but very light. They are floating so they align better as the pads change with heat & wear & it is less expensive to replace the rotors as you do not replace the hat. The stockers are one piece so you have to replace the entire hat-rotor combo. Dave at Harrold Ford seems to think Ford will have the rotors available separately to buy as they wear or will have a source to refer us to. Also they stand out when you look at the wheels & yell "race car". Too cool.

I am going to Livermore Performance perhaps tomorrow or Saturday depending on weather. This thread is about harness hardware & I am going to check out the harness seat belt adapters at LP. See you there?

Ed

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
Ed, what time were you planning to go to Livermore Performance? Both Fri and Sat look clear, with Fri being a sunny but Sat is cloudy. Note Livermore P. is closed Sat. I assume they are in Livermore, but I didn't find an address on their web site.

BlackICE

Ed Sims

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 7, 2006
NorCal
Livermore Performance

I spoke to them yesterday, Thursday, & they will be working Fri, Sat & Sun! The shop is at their home.

Ed

Bart Carter

GT Owner
Mar 12, 2006
Las Vegas
FWIW, I wouldn't go to lighter rotors. The more mass in a rotor, the better it handles heat. Ever wonder why Cup cars don't run light weight rotors?

Ed Sims

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 7, 2006
NorCal
rotor mass

The rotors aren't lighter. The hats are lighter. I believe most race cars run 2-piece floating rotors. One piece rotor-hats are a production money/time savings only. Also unsprung weight reduction rules on the track!

Ed

P.S. Black Ice - I was glad to see you at Livermore Performance today.