Color and value in todays market

Blue/white 06'
Mark II Lifetime
Obviously a new guy here (and Ford die hard).

I have been waiting in the wings to get my own GT and I am seeing some sale prices get into a level I am comfortable with. I do have a couple questions.

How does color (aside from the Heritage) influence sales price on an otherwise identical car. I guess I am looking for what is most valuable and what is least valuable (in terms of sales price) and approximately how much I should expect a color to command.

Second, I have been getting most of my sale info by watching what sells on ebay. Of course most listing do not sell. Is there another reliable source to find out what the current market values on actual transactions are? I tried the Sports Car Market newsletter but GTs are too few and far between to get anything there, at least at that time.

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
SF Bay Area in California
Condition is more important than color. But all other things equal, IMHO

1. Heritage
2. Black
3. Blue.
4. The other colors

fjpikul

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 4, 2006
Belleville, IL
RED is the best in all respects. If you do a search (and you may not have access to all info since you are not a paying member), there are data tables here by color and options. In general, silver and yellow cars are few. No stripe cars are rarer. Value of rarer cars? Depends if you willing to pay for it. Heritage cars were more expensive to begin with because of the paint scheme. Low mileage cars bring more. ShelbyElite in Arkansas is probably the biggest reseller of GT's. E-bay prices are not realistic.

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
SF Bay Area in California
I would agree with Frank that RED is probably the most popular color, but it also has the highest production numbers.

donnymac

Defered Ajudication
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 26, 2008
West Texas
1. Condition/mileage

2. Black no-stripe

3. Talk to Shelby(he has to pay for a new store).

4. Bought both of mine from him.

Last edited:

S592R

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Dec 3, 2006
RED is the best in all respects. If you do a search (and you may not have access to all info since you are not a paying member), there are data tables here by color and options. In general, silver and yellow cars are few. No stripe cars are rarer. Value of rarer cars? Depends if you willing to pay for it. Heritage cars were more expensive to begin with because of the paint scheme. Low mileage cars bring more. ShelbyElite in Arkansas is probably the biggest reseller of GT's. E-bay prices are not realistic.

Agreed. TMV is anywhere from 10 to 20% less than ebay. just look around and find a low mileage car. Then get a PPI. Unless from known dealer who knew the car well ... still get a ppi.

H

HHGT

Resale Red

Blue/white 06'
Mark II Lifetime
Thanks guys;

This is what I am talking about.

Red Car, 215 miles Buy it now @ $152K (edit; bumped to $155K)
Tungston Car, 700 miles for sale for $167 K

Red Car, 4060 miles Buy it now @$139K
Blue Car, 3800 Miles for sale @ $159K

I am assuming they are similar quality cars and they do have the options. I can't really see paying more for stripe delete, but that is just me.

Trying to get a numerical value for the colors to decide if a certain color is worth (to me) extra $$

What is TMV and PPI (sorry for the ignorance :ack)

Last edited:

Kayvan

GT Owner
Jul 13, 2006
I think isuess of value/rarity are moot.

Vast majority of cars are bought, held forever; v. small percenatge bought/sold <1yr.

The market doesnt move enough, for real profit swings, yet.

Now, I am cancelling out noise of dealer gougers early on; and '08 freefall; as those prices were not reality; and 'cloudy' cars: abused/salvage.

I think you will find each color has a different personality; with darker ones very sinister; and lighter very sleek/clean/modern; with red having an "exotic pop" that you either love or dont.

Now some cars are truly rare; but, you have to say to yourself "am i a yellow car guy" or "a no stripe, white car guy?"....both cars I would love to have.

For many, its a nice chunk of change...so you have to be comfortable with it...forever.

dbk

The Favor Factory™
Staff member
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jul 30, 2005
Metro Detroit
Man, I would just buy the color you want.

Red and White are going to be worth the least because there are the most to choose from. It's not like a Ferrari where it's going to be harder to offload a TDF car versus a Corsa Rosso car, or Lambo where matte brown with yellow stitching some guy ordered will be harder to move than a Verde Ithaca; all the GT colors are desirable so their value tends to correlate closer to their availability.

The biggest difference will be the miles. It doesn't matter what color it is, if it's on MSO or has under 100 miles, it will cost a ton. If it's Red or Heritage and it has 20,000 miles, it's going to be worth way, way less. Assuming the car has been maintained and is in good condition, you just have to decide how many miles you want.

To me, that red car with 215 miles looks like a pretty good deal, very appropriately priced (if you're into very low miles).

S592R

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Dec 3, 2006
Thanks guys;

This is what I am talking about.

I am assuming they are similar quality cars and they do have the options. I can't really see paying more for stripe delete, but that is just me.

Trying to get a numerical value for the colors to decide if a certain color is worth (to me) extra $$

What is TMV and PPI (sorry for the ignorance :ack)

TMV= True Market Value

PPI- Pre-Purchase Inspection

happy hunting

Blue/white 06'
Mark II Lifetime
TMV= True Market Value

PPI- Pre-Purchase Inspection

happy hunting

Ah, So obvious now. :O

Thanks again, just bringing the subject up for discussion, not trying to determine what is "best". I love them all but 2 of the colors and combos are not as critical to me. Miles dependent on how they came to the car.

debtdrives

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Apr 20, 2007
Oakland, Michigan 48363
color and value

As a fellow GT owner along with 18 other Fords and the Gen mgr of a large Ford, my advice to you..."buy what you like"!! Markets change. What is hot today, might not be, if and when you choose to liquidate your "investment". Drive it and enjoy looking at every night when you go in the garage. People ask me why I don't cover my cars. Half the joy is just admiring the machine for what it is. Driving is the other half. I have 12k miles, in Michigan! Return on investment is just gravy!!

teej

GT Owner
Jan 12, 2010
West Los Angeles
Man, I would just buy the color you want.

+1

Ask yourself what color car is going to make your smile the widest when you are walking up to it in a parking lot. For me it was white with stripes. Sounds like you might not have a preference.

After that, buy the best (verified) quality car you can afford.

Blue/white 06'
Mark II Lifetime
Sounds like you might not have a preference.

I do have a slight preference but I am asking myself is it worth $15-20K, especially because I like the less expensive colors too.

Thanks again

ViperJoe

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 17, 2006
Washington Crossing, PA
In the end, rareity will almost always prevail as being the most valuable.

RALPHIE

GT Owner
Mar 1, 2007
In the final end, any GT will command a great value, as the GT40's of the '60's have. Mileage won't matter, condition will, as restorations become more prevalent. As the numbers dwindle over the years, and more people have the ability to afford the cars (as many of us who lived in the '60's could eventually afford the current models), the demand will grow. I never plan on selling mine, as is true for many of us - they will be passed on down to our children, who may or may not sell them.

teej

GT Owner
Jan 12, 2010
West Los Angeles
they will be passed on down to our children, who may or may not sell them.

There are ways of preventing them from selling them :lol

TallCarGuy

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Oct 2, 2006
Santa Ynez, California
As I have mentioned before on this Forum: My GT is the first thing I see when I enter my garage and the last thing I see when leaving the garage. How bad can a day be when it starts with THAT view......

Richard Hille
The GT School

ps: the factory car cover is still in its original plastic.... ;-)

vyprgt2

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Sep 9, 2005
CA

>>>>>

I agree with DBK on this one- the red 215 mile car sounds like it could be an extremely good deal. The Tungsten car sounds like the least good deal.