College Help!

ObeyMyFast!

GT Owner's son
May 5, 2009
San Diego
I just recently got admitted to both UC Berkeley and USC. (along with Boston College's honors program and Johns Hopkins)

I want to be a business major.

It seems as though these schools are very similar from an academic standpoint. However, I dont know about the difference between these schools' degrees out in the real world. For example, will the Trojan Family really be that helpful, etc...

Anybody have any experience with these? (Im sure some do)

Thanks for your help

Kingman

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 11, 2006
Surf City, USA
I like Trojans. No mistakes...so far.

Kayvan

GT Owner
Jul 13, 2006
First off congrats on those schools

Depends where you want to work...

Clearly on West Coast, Berkeley is going to have more impact, larger network.

East coast, Hopkins is well known and BC has more of niche name.,...neither esp in business, but solid Econ Dept; Carey school is new ('06)

UC-Berkeley HAAS MBA program (Top 10?) plus too; you may not take those classes, but many times Prof's collaborate w. undegrad depts and get name out there with undergrad recruiters.

I worked 20 yrs on Wall St. at Top 4 Firms and saw Berkeley more times on our school target roster than JH / BC.

Quality of life, no contest: UC-B.

Last edited:

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
SF Bay Area in California
Quality of life, no contest: UC-B.

I went there, good school, but I wouldn't choose it for "quality of life."

Keep some spare change in your pockets for the people on Telegraph Ave. If you are into drugs, good availability and choices everywhere!

Kayvan

GT Owner
Jul 13, 2006
I went there, good school, but I wouldn't choose it for "quality of life."

Keep some spare change in your pockets for the people on Telegraph Ave. If you are into drugs, good availability and choices everywhere!

Correction: Social Life / Ladies

Being in chilly NE/Baltimore...not as nice

UC myth of blonde beach babes 24/7 may be exaggerated (UC-SB?)

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
Correction: Social Life / Ladies

Being in chilly NE/Baltimore...not as nice

UC myth of blonde beach babes 24/7 may be exaggerated (UC-SB?)

UC Berkeley SUCKs for women. UCSD, UCSB, and UCLA would be much better. But really all those schools are tough to get into and brains are inversely correlated to beauty. UCSB is the easiest one to get into.

SYCO GT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Sep 9, 2006
California
Personally I'd pick Berkeley over USC.

Obviously, there are many factors to consider.

http://talk.collegeconfidential.com...l-vs-uc-berkeley-undeclared-pre-business.html

Triheart7

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 3, 2007
Northern California
I had the option of USC, Berkley or Stanford. I grew up in the SF Bay Area, so I wanted to move out of the area so I went to USC. School was OK. I never really felt like I fit in even though I did graduate from USC. I went to Graduate school at Cal Poly SLO then UOP, and enjoyed them a lot more.

H

HHGT

What are your ambitions post graduation? Do you want to work for a name brand Fortune 500 company or do you want to end up owning/operating your own business?

ObeyMyFast!

GT Owner's son
May 5, 2009
San Diego
What are your ambitions post graduation? Do you want to work for a name brand Fortune 500 company or do you want to end up owning/operating your own business?

Honestly, I'm not 100% sure at this point. I would probably like to start out working for a name brand company to "cut my teeth" then end up working for myself.

Thanks to all who have replied! I really appreciate it.

Kayvan

GT Owner
Jul 13, 2006
Road to riches is owning your own company...not working for others

College, training program at Fortune 100, then focus and start your own or partner with others.

Any business from string of dry cleaners, to chip-co, to hedge fund, to start-up

I have seen way too many business owners collect 7,8,9 figure payouts while the "triple-Ivy Degree" advisers get crumbs.

Owner, PE, or VC will make > $+

ObeyMyFast!

GT Owner's son
May 5, 2009
San Diego
"You'll never get rich working for your boss"

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
"You'll never get rich working for your boss"

You can, but the odds are just tougher, many of number 2s in large companies don't do so bad. It really depends on what you like to do and what you are good doing. Match the two, and you will succeed, chase $$$, and you will fail.

RALPHIE

GT Owner
Mar 1, 2007
I've never gotten rich working for a boss (high tech aerospace instrumentation or ski area management) ------- but I've managed to have a great quality of life - lots of friends, clean air, respect of the scientific community (and lots of sh*t from the forum), and proud of my accomplishments. Look at your goals - do you want to be a boss and "control" others, do you want to develop exciting products, do you want to be wealthy, do you have humanitarian interests, do you have political ambitions - so many things to consider.

For me, I liked working for companies- good, strong companies - and have always been able to help them with my ideals and professionalism. I always knew I am not a good "boss," as I care too much for my employees - but upper managements have always promoted me to those positions (damn them!).

You can get rich (monetarily) working for your self. You can create great things in a large corporation, since they have the capital to invest in future sales.

Just my outlook - many exceptions have created great wealthy entreprenuers.

PS - but I've made enough money to enjoy my life.

Last edited:
H

HHGT

You can also marry a rich woman. Paris is still single...

RALPHIE

GT Owner
Mar 1, 2007
You can also marry a rich woman. Paris is still single...

Damn it - I'm too damn old for her

SYCO GT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Sep 9, 2006
California
UC Berkeley SUCKs for women.

Someone forgot to tell their Ms. Stokke, their Pole Vaulter that.

http://freshpics.blogspot.com/2009/09/allison-stokke-hottest-female-athlete.html

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
Someone forgot to tell their Ms. Stokke, their Pole Vaulter that.

http://freshpics.blogspot.com/2009/09/allison-stokke-hottest-female-athlete.html

She pretty nice, but one out of 25K+ isn't good odds. The percentage of hot women at Cal is minuscule compared to other schools. A few years back Cal's Olympic swimmer was pretty hot too.

http://www.squidoo.com/natalie-coughlin

Last edited:

SteveA

GT Owner/B.O.D
Mark IV Lifetime
Dec 13, 2005
Sandpoint Id

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005