Clutch issues

911teo

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Jan 5, 2007
Surrey, UK
Last week I was at Brands Hatch (UK race track) for a bit of fun with the GT...

The car was fantastic but I had a little issue with the clutch...

At the end of the morning session (say after 4-5 20 minute stints on the track) the clutch pedal did not spring back and remained depressed close to the floor....

This particular track is quite slow and twisty and I was only shifting twice in during the whole lap (3rd to 4th at the beginning of the main straigth and back to 3rd at the end of it).

I was also being very gentle with the shifting, not needing to make my time on the downshift...

I was wondering about installing a transmission cooler, but that is only going to make the trans oil temp drop (never an issue).

What do u think the problem with the clutch is? What is the cause? Any suggested solution?

Thanks again for your help.

Last edited:

ThatPhilBrettGuy

GT Owner
May 9, 2007
London, UK.
'They all do that sir'. Well mine has as well. I believe the hydraulic clutch oil boils as the pipe runs near a cat. I think some heat shielding around it cures the problem... I sure someone here has done the mod!

I also recall Roush saying it was caused by the release bearing getting too hot. Dam my poor memory :(

Last edited:

911teo

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Jan 5, 2007
Surrey, UK
Well the car is going to Roush next week for the 10k miles service.

I have just spoken to David Jones about it. He said they will try and come up with something.

I am installing a transmission cooler anyway...

On a side note do u recall how loud your Accufab X-pipe is?

At Brands Hatch they have a 105db limit. In stock configuration I was at 101db....

Kingman

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 11, 2006
Surf City, USA
Thank you for sharing your experience. I have not experienced this problem to date with the GT. I did have this problem with my Lotus Turbo Esprit. Let me tell you, it can be damn infuriating and expensive if not addressed properly.

On the Lotus, the hydraulic clutch line ran next to a radiator line front to back. As ‘ThatPhilBrettGuy’ described, the clutch line hose would expand as well as the fluid boiling, causing the clutch to fail (I broke a throwout bearing once trying to slam it into gear while traffic was coming at me). After several clutch plate replacements, master and slave cylinder replacements, and other 'guesses' by Lotus, a forum just like this one came up with the answer - a shielded clutch line that was also wire braided for further support against expansion.

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
SF Bay Area in California

At Brands Hatch they have a 105db limit. In stock configuration I was at 101db....

If you are at 101db with a US spec stock exhaust, then the Accufab will be well over 105 db. It is at least 6 db louder in my opinion. However I didn't think that a stock one would be 101db.

ThatPhilBrettGuy

GT Owner
May 9, 2007
London, UK.

As BlackICE says well over 105db I'd guess. I've got a friend with a noise meter. Next time I see him I'll give it a test.

Indy GT

Yea, I got one...too
Mark IV Lifetime
Jan 14, 2006
Greenwood, IN
Install Cooler

The clutch depression problem was experienced by a number of FGT owners on our California Rally II drive when we stopped for lunch after a spirited up-hill driving session.

A quick survey of those cars who did NOT experience the problem revealed most if not all had the transaxle coolers installed.

At least that is my recollation. I have the cooler installed and did not have any problems on the drive. (while others did have the clutch pedal problem).
Maybe I was just not driving hard enough....

Neilda

GT Owner
Oct 19, 2005
London, UK
Well the car is going to Roush next week for the 10k miles service.

I have just spoken to David Jones about it. He said they will try and come up with something.

I am installing a transmission cooler anyway...

Teo - are we going to meet for a beer one of these days? We live in the same county. :cheers

911teo

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Jan 5, 2007
Surrey, UK
Neil done...

I live in Cobham, where about are you? I can do any day apart from Thursday (date night with the wife ;) ).

drop me a PM or an email at

matteo.amoroso@assiduous.net

Cheers!

911teo

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Jan 5, 2007
Surrey, UK
As per the clutch issue I spoke again with Roush...

they are going to swap the fluid for a higher spec one (SFR) and apply a heat sleeve to the clutch line.

Apparently the car showed the same problem during testing at the Nurburgring and this was the solution adopted with perfect results.

Neilda

GT Owner
Oct 19, 2005
London, UK
You have mail...!

Cobham is very close.

AlohaGT

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Jul 13, 2007
Honolulu, HI
The clutch depression problem was experienced by a number of FGT owners on our California Rally II drive when we stopped for lunch after a spirited up-hill driving session.

A quick survey of those cars who did NOT experience the problem revealed most if not all had the transaxle coolers installed.

At least that is my recollation. I have the cooler installed and did not have any problems on the drive. (while others did have the clutch pedal problem).

Indy, your recollection is the same as mine. There appeared to be a number of FGTs with clutch issues that day in the Angeles Forest; however, none experienced by those with trans coolers. And, I don't believe there was much of an option of not driving hard enough - we were in one long train being pulled from the front and pushed by the rear. :biggrin

Indy GT

Yea, I got one...too
Mark IV Lifetime
Jan 14, 2006
Greenwood, IN
Pulled n Pushed

Ahha the memories!!! What a great event.

Thanks Chris for insisting on the Angeles Forest run during Rally II.
Hope you are picking a new run for us in South Fla.....

911teo

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Jan 5, 2007
Surrey, UK

Actually I spoke to Roush abt it... The 2 oil circuits are separate. So the trans cooler only works on the transmission oil.

I ordered one anyway...

I have come to the conclusion that since these cars are handbuilt that each of them will show different reactions to the same inputs.

This is why only some suffered the half-shaft bolts, only some get the warped fins, only some have 1-2 shifting problems, only some get the door-latch issues etc.

fortytude

GT Owner
Jan 4, 2006
London, UK
clutch life

has anyone had a new clutch and if so at what mileage? Looks like mine has gone, got stranded in Germany. 22,500 miles, no track days, lots of motorways.
Justin

STORMCAT

GT
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
May 25, 2006
Ft. Lauderdale

I think that was true. I have a tranny cooler and no issues on the runs. But I was thinking there may have been one guy with a tranny cooler and a dead pedal ?? The clutch hydraulic line could use some insulation. I think if you do both you're better off..

fordcapri

GT Owner
Sep 21, 2006
has anyone had a new clutch and if so at what mileage? Looks like mine has gone, got stranded in Germany. 22,500 miles, no track days, lots of motorways.
Justin

The reports I have read on this forum from other members is that they are switching to the AP clutch kit, as it gives better results than the standard clutch. As you live in the UK, you should be able to buy this direct from AP, as I think they are UK based, if not one of the sponsors of the site Jack@musclemotors has been supplying the kits to other members.

kmillen

Jan 29, 2007
The reports I have read on this forum from other members is that they are switching to the AP clutch kit, as it gives better results than the standard clutch. As you live in the UK, you should be able to buy this direct from AP, as I think they are UK based, if not one of the sponsors of the site Jack@musclemotors has been supplying the kits to other members.

You are correct sir. STILLEN and AP Racing worked together to develop a clutch for the GT. So far it has been very well received and we have received excellent feedback from all of our customers. Because we worked with AP Racing on the clutch, STILLEN is the only company that has access to this particular part. For more information you can contact me directly at kmillen@stillen.com

dbk

The Favor Factory™
Staff member
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jul 30, 2005
Metro Detroit
Trans cooler should cure it. Did for me. I've clobbered my car hard at the track since Rally II, and it didn't experience said issue with the TC installed.

fortytude

GT Owner
Jan 4, 2006
London, UK
clutch failure

You are correct sir. STILLEN and AP Racing worked together to develop a clutch for the GT. So far it has been very well received and we have received excellent feedback from all of our customers. Because we worked with AP Racing on the clutch, STILLEN is the only company that has access to this particular part. For more information you can contact me directly at kmillen@stillen.com

Thanks for the info, i will contact stillen. but the question remains, is the clutch life of the factory item really only 22,000 miles with only road use and no 3rd gear starts!? and it went very suddenly, no really warning and pedal remained firm. car is on a flatbed at the mo, so not 100% sure it is clutch but as it was creeping forward in 1st, i think it must be.