Climate control

stumeat

GT Owner
Dec 20, 2010
Georgia
I am a new owner. Car of course garage kept but no climate control. I live in South Georgia (no kidding) where temps range from 25 to 105. Humidity can reach over 90%. How important is climate control to the long term condition of the car?

stumeat

GT Owner
Dec 20, 2010
Georgia
Ok. Seven views and no reply. Tells me most visited thread to see if someone actually asked a question about climate control versus garaged mother nature. Clearly climate control is best. But, does anyone have experience with a collection over a long period of time in my part of the world. And, I actually have a concrete floor""..

Shelby#18

GTX1 Owner/Moderator
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Dec 15, 2006
Nev./So. Cal./Minn.
P.M. Kirby Viera here on the forum. He's in your part of the country.

Ed Sims

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 7, 2006
NorCal
Climate control is always preferable in one's garage/shop.

Ed

Not 4N

Tungsten GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 5, 2006
Calgary AB
My opinion is that controlled environment is very important over time.
Drastic temperature fluctuations cause condensation which is one of the three components required for corrosion. Not to mention the unique expansion/contraction rates of different materials at varying temps.

Simply there are 3 requirements for corrosion and that is oxygen, moisture and the ions emitted by the metal. Air and moisture feed on the ions emitted by the metal and cause metal to corrode. If you reduce one of those components it will result in less corrosion. This is why aircraft are stored in AZ and NV and not in Florida. Can't do much to change the air but the humidity is low and the temp is consistent in these states.

You can go one step further and provide the natural elements with a steady stream of ions emitted by a low current device, carried through the surface moisture via graphite anodes This is called impressed current cathodic protection and that is in use today on many bridges and other steel structures. I even have these devices on some of my old cars and it reduces corrosion immensely.

To simply answer your question keep the temp and humidity constant and try to keep the humidity as low as possible. This is why the "bubble" is popular with some folks as you are only maintaining the air directly around the car and not the whole garage which will change drastically every time you open the door.

:cheers
Trent

Blue/white 06'
Mark II Lifetime
wow, now there is an answer.

Trent, do you think those graphite anodes are around aftermarket?

For Boats, Mercury Marine has a system they refer to as Mercathode and it definitely uses low current but crude Zinc anodes.

Not 4N

Tungsten GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 5, 2006
Calgary AB
I haven't seen them for a long time and I think the reason why is that graphite breaks down slower so from a straight sacrificial stand point the zinc is the better way to go. Both impressed current and sacrificial are forms of cathodic protection with the latter being widely used in the marine environment.

Both of my boats, one Merc & one Volvo/Penta have zinc anodes but obviously no power to them so they work as being the weaker property from a dissimilar metal standpoint.

If you are putting a current to the anodes you want something that will last a lot longer, like graphite, or they would dissolve too quickly.

jaxgt

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Jul 12, 2006
where in S. Georgia are you located?

stumeat

GT Owner
Dec 20, 2010
Georgia
Douglas. 2 Hours NW of Jax. We met at Ferrari paddock 2011 Amelia Concours. You were showing the Caddy right?

Specracer

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Nov 28, 2005
MA
1st 3 years of my cars life, was not temp controlled, but I did consistantly run a dehumidifier. I am in the Northeast.

Howard

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 26, 2007
Florida/North Jersey
I'm in New Jersey and we get our share of high humidity and cold winters. My cars are in an uncontrolled garage. I put a "heater rod" in all cars with the windows up almost all the way. These 25 watt rods are sold under the name "Golden Rods" and California Car Cover is a source. Certainly climate control is preferred but, for what it's worth, none of my cars (including some rust-prone oldies) have suffered. I have never seen any condensation, but keeping the inside of the car slightly warmer than the surroundings can't hurt. Good luck.

Howard

Colton74

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 4, 2010
Edmonton, Alberta
Dont want to hijack the thread here, however I have a question related to this. Which of the following would be the best option for my GT.

Leave it here in Edmonton for the winter in a garage that would be opened regularly (wife parks in the bay beside until December at least) however is climate controlled (heated) or have the car delivered to Arizona and stored there for the winter? Simply based on what is best for the car it would be to take it south to AZ I think, however when weighing the potential of transportation damage etc it may be better to leave it where is.

It would be nice to occasionaly drive it as well though.

Comments?

jaxgt

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Jul 12, 2006
Yes ! Good to hear from you. I have a simple dehumidifier in my garage. Not sufficient, but too expensive to climate control the space right now. Hope to see you again !
Douglas. 2 Hours NW of Jax. We met at Ferrari paddock 2011 Amelia Concours. You were showing the Caddy right?

Specracer

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Nov 28, 2005
MA
If your wifes car is ice and snowy, the mosture from that car when it melts in the garage, is going to spike the moisture in the garage BIG time. I would think transport to AZ would outweigh maybe finding local climate controlled storage??? I know here in the northeast, Im sure I could find fantastic sorage for what $3-6k for a season (round trip transport costs Canada to to AZ)???

Leave it here in Edmonton for the winter in a garage that would be opened regularly (wife parks in the bay beside until December at least) however is climate controlled (heated) or have the car delivered to Arizona and stored there for the winter? Simply based on what is best for the car it would be to take it south to AZ I think, however when weighing the potential of transportation damage etc it may be better to leave it where is.

QUOTE]

stumeat

GT Owner
Dec 20, 2010
Georgia
Thanks for all of the great info. I will start with dehumidification.....then work towards total climate control. Thanks

Not 4N

Tungsten GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 5, 2006
Calgary AB
Dont want to hijack the thread here, however I have a question related to this. Which of the following would be the best option for my GT.

It would be nice to occasionaly drive it as well though.

Comments?

I happen to know guy that can transport it, damage free, if you like. :biggrin:thumbsup

Trent

Colton74

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 4, 2010
Edmonton, Alberta
I happen to know guy that can transport it, damage free, if you like. :biggrin:thumbsup

Trent

I am not 100% certain on which way I am leaning however I am interested. I may have second car if i can convince my neighbour.PM sent.

Thanks Steve
Steve