Clear Bra

JimmyK

GT Owner
May 27, 2008
Lafayette, California
Hi All, I am a proud new owner of a red 2005. I have seen a lot of people refer to a clear bra on the front and sometimes on the fenders. What is this? Is it a good idea? Where do you get it put on? Any feedback would be much appreciated. Thanks, JimmyK

H

HHGT

Congrats and welcome. Clear Bra is a must have. depending on where your at, the options are plenty and the darker the color, the more stretch marks. Go with a reputable shop.

fjpikul

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 4, 2006
Belleville, IL
Do a search. There are many, many posts on this as to which brand, what body panels, etc. I personally prefer the Speedlingerie front bra and mirror covers. Pictures of the bra are in my PhotoGallery. FJP

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State
I have seen a lot of people refer to a clear bra... What is this? Is it a good idea? Where do you get it put on? Any feedback would be much appreciated. Thanks, JimmyK

Clear Bra is a transparent film sheeting that's applied to the car's body to prevent rock chips. Clear Bra is made by 3M if I remember right. There's also another company called Venture Shield who makes a similiar product. "Google" either for specifics.

If memory serves, several members here have gone the 3M route & are happy with the results. (You might use the 'Forum's search engine on this. There have been many posts made on the subject.)

CONGRATS ON BUYING YOUR GT BY THE WAY!!!

dbtgt

One lucky SOB to own a GT
Mark IV Lifetime
Jan 4, 2006
Tulsa, Oklahoma
Clear Bra is a transparent film sheeting that's applied to the car's body to prevent rock chips. Clear Bra is made by 3M if I remember right. There's also another company called Venture Shield who makes a similiar product. "Google" either for specifics.

If memory serves, several members here have gone the 3M route & are happy with the results. (You might use the 'Forum's search engine on this. There have been many posts made on the subject.)

CONGRATS ON BUYING YOUR GT BY THE WAY!!!
IMO, It's all about the "installer". I believe that the Venture Shield product is more transparent especially on dark colors.

shelbyelite

PERMANENTLY BANNED
May 10, 2007
VENTURE SHIELD!!!! The 3m stuff has a very bad textured look to it (orange peel look). We are a dealer that has tried every kind you can think of and VENTURE SHIELD is by far the best we have experienced.

pauleddy

Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 14, 2007
Newport/Boca Grande
The Clear Bra is fine for "bug hits" but won't protect you from stones or other flying debris, especially if you do Track Day stuff with your new car or live in an area of the country like Florida or Vegas where there is sand. Note also that the '06 cars don't have a protective grill as do the '05's...the S.L. Bra has a mesh screen that does a great job of protecting that expensive radiator from debris dings!
I have both the clear bra and the black vinyl Speed Lingerie bras, conservative guy that I am...kinda like wearing a belt AND suspenders!
Go with Speed Lingerie color-coordinated bra and mirror covers, sleep well at night. See my avitar.

Last edited:

shesgotlegs

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 20, 2006
VENTURE SHIELD!!!! The 3m stuff has a very bad textured look to it (orange peel look). We are a dealer that has tried every kind you can think of and VENTURE SHIELD is by far the best we have experienced.

Ditto.

I had 3M on my red GT for a few months when I realized that the orange peel effect was not the case with a friend's red GT that had the Venture Shield product installed. I paid to have the 3M removed and the Venture Shield put on in its place. I have about 20,000 miles on the stuff and I DEFINETLY DO NOT regret my decision.

SYCO GT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Sep 9, 2006
California
I looked at a lot of cars that had various products.

I ultimately went with Venture Shield and am pleased with the results.

Had it installed at Sticker City in Encino, CA, after Atomic gave me the referral.

AtomicGT

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Apr 12, 2006
Los Angeles
I used Sticker City in Woodland Hill, Ca, you can look them up on the internet and see what they recommend. It is not cheap, usually runs about $800-1000 or higher but, weight that against a piant job and most cave for the SC Clear Bra.

shelbyelite

PERMANENTLY BANNED
May 10, 2007
While I dont usually disagree with Mr. Eddy, I must on this one (sorry Paul). The Venture shield will definatly help against stone chips/rock chips. Now, if it is a LARGE rock, it could tear the clear bra, but that is unusual. It will definatly save you against the normal rock chips you get on these cars. I have had cars come in with 5k Plus miles on them that have had the clear bra since new and you can not tell the car from a new one. Usually CHIP FREE!!! :thumbsup

YoungCEO

GT OWNER
Mark IV Lifetime
Feb 9, 2008
Whittier,Ca
I just 3m'd my car. I have black with silver strips. Not happy with the 3m really shows orange peal on black. I have it in the front the top on the mirrors and the lower panels. I will have to look into the Venture shield. Most people don't even notice....but I do. I believe it is a must even if a little orange peel shows.

shelbyelite

PERMANENTLY BANNED
May 10, 2007
I just 3m'd my car. I have black with silver strips. Not happy with the 3m really shows orange peal on black. I have it in the front the top on the mirrors and the lower panels. I will have to look into the Venture shield. Most people don't even notice....but I do. I believe it is a must even if a little orange peel shows.

If you are gonna change it, remove the 3M stuff ASAP and get it done. The longer its on there, the harder it is to remove without leaving the glue (adhesive). I am not gonna even start to talk about the nightmare it can be to remove the 3M stuff when its been on there for a long period of time.... :willy

YoungCEO

GT OWNER
Mark IV Lifetime
Feb 9, 2008
Whittier,Ca
Ok, thanks it has only been on for a week. Does this stuff hurt the paint after many years, does anybody know?

shelbyelite

PERMANENTLY BANNED
May 10, 2007
Ok, thanks it has only been on for a week. Does this stuff hurt the paint after many years, does anybody know?

I dont really have any record of it actually HURTING the paint, but if its been on there and cured for a period of time, its extremely hard to remove. If you are unhappy with it, remove it NOW, and get the venture shield. You'll be glad you did !

JimmyK

GT Owner
May 27, 2008
Lafayette, California
Clear bra thanks

As a new member/owner I just wanted to thank all of you for the great and prompt responses relative to my questions re: clear bras. This forum is very cool and helpful! Thanks, JimmyK

tpraceman

THEE GT OWNER
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 20, 2006
Washington Michigan
Shelby any Idea if Venture has a dealer installer in Michigan?

06fordgt

GT
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Nov 8, 2006
Toronto Canada
tpraceman call Marco Pranovi. He lives in Windsor but works in Michigan. He travels to do vehicles. He came 3 hours away to do mine. He is professional, wants an exact job and enjoys his work. His # is (519) 903-0430. He does venture shield product. he also did my door sills, scoop edges, bottom of doors.

06fordgt

GT
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Nov 8, 2006
Toronto Canada
Anytime Marco. How have you been buddy? Hope all is well.

shesgotlegs

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 20, 2006
If you are gonna change it, remove the 3M stuff ASAP and get it done. The longer its on there, the harder it is to remove without leaving the glue (adhesive). I am not gonna even start to talk about the nightmare it can be to remove the 3M stuff when its been on there for a long period of time.... :willy

Especially the trunk lid for some reason.