Clear Bra questions

racer22

GT Owner
Jun 20, 2013
The information I have on clear bra manufactures is as follows and would like feedback from experienced GT owners: My installer states Suntek is most affordable and he uses their products regularly and the material is self healing when scratched. Xpel is the industry bench mark, more expensive and scratches in the material can be polished. Any thoughts from GT owners? Thanks

GT Venum

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Dec 4, 2010
Wisconsin
Clear Bra

The new Xpel film is self-healing as well. I have been installing film now for about 6 years and from what I have seen the Xpel Ulitmate film is probably the best film on the market.

Probably more important than the film is the installer. I know it has been said before but make sure the installer does not use a razor on your car. I have pulled off way too many kits from other installers that used a razor and had to call the owner of the car in to see the cut marks on their car. The kits today are so good there is no reason to use a razor.

Feel free to send me a PM if you have any questions.

bonehead

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 18, 2012
Houston, TX
Hey Jeff
Which installer are you using? I need to get my XPEL redone and he recommended Andy at Darkside Tinting. Heard good things about him from independent sources as well.

GKW05GT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
May 28, 2011
Fayetteville, Ga.
The new Xpel film is self-healing as well. I have been installing film now for about 6 years and from what I have seen the Xpel Ulitmate film is probably the best film on the market.

Probably more important than the film is the installer. I know it has been said before but make sure the installer does not use a razor on your car. I have pulled off way too many kits from other installers that used a razor and had to call the owner of the car in to see the cut marks on their car. The kits today are so good there is no reason to use a razor.

Could not agree more and well documented in previous threads. My installer used Xpel and spent over 7 hours on the project. Xpel's pre cut full front package, and probably most of the others, is almost undetectable when done correctly.

racer22

GT Owner
Jun 20, 2013
Hey Ed,
Andy is who I'm working with. I'm going to have him quote the Xpel kit for me as well.

bonehead

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 18, 2012
Houston, TX
Hey Ed,
Andy is who I'm working with. I'm going to have him quote the Xpel kit for me as well.

Excellent! Let me know how it goes. I really need to find some time to get my car to him.

FGT899

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Dec 10, 2013
Phoenix, AZ
What does a clear Xpel ultimate job typically run for a GT? I'm going to start checking around today for someone to do mine in all the common areas. Just trying to get an idea of what the going rate is. If anyone has used someone that does good work in Phoenix..

ron1416

GT Owner
Jun 30, 2013
Southern California
I got an estimate recently for $1,400.00 ( SoCal area). Think it's high and continuing to look.

MAD IN NC

Proud Owner/ BOD blah bla
Mark IV Lifetime
Feb 14, 2006
North Carolina
I got an estimate recently for $1,400.00 ( SoCal area). Think it's high and continuing to look.

I'd pay more- as the job's perfection is typically due to the installer.... you get what you pay for.... A couple of C's for a guarantee on a $200k car is cheap insurance

bonehead

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 18, 2012
Houston, TX
What does a clear Xpel ultimate job typically run for a GT? I'm going to start checking around today for someone to do mine in all the common areas. Just trying to get an idea of what the going rate is. If anyone has used someone that does good work in Phoenix..

Depends on how extensive the coverage you are looking to get done. Front bumper, lights, fenders, hood (essentially everything forward of the front windshield), rockers, side mirrors, rear fender behind rear wheels, front edge of side intake vents will cost more than $2K. Premier in NorCal has the best reputation I'm aware of, and I got a quote from them that was even more than that.

FGT899, I had mine done (twice) by Protective Film Solutions. They did a good job on my Mini S when I lived in Phoenix, so I drove my GT 500 miles round trip down to their shop in SoCal when I moved up here. Turned into a bit of a fiasco as multiple panels had to be redone with no easy way to do this given the distance. Finally had everything fixed/redone more than 6 months later. They do stand behind the work and will fix any issues. Since you're not likely very far from their shop, this shouldn't be an issue. If you end up using them, demand that they use their best guy. Whichever employee did my car the first time around was a hack.

Specracer

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Nov 28, 2005
MA
Don't forget to get the door sills done.

THamonGT

GT
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Are there any good film protector installers with top products in the Houston area?

GT Venum

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Dec 4, 2010
Wisconsin
Xpel has their main office in San Antonio TX and they have some very good installers.

Fracman

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jan 4, 2011
Houston, TX
Are there any good film protector installers with top products in the Houston area?

I've used EVS Motors and have been very satisfied with their work. They did the entire front my Scuderia and it is one of the best jobs that I have seen, both fenders and the front area that ties them in together was done in a single piece, no easy task. I felt that they treat their clients cars as if they are their own, a rare event in this day and age.

ron1416

GT Owner
Jun 30, 2013
Southern California
I'd pay more- as the job's perfection is typically due to the installer.... you get what you pay for.... A couple of C's for a guarantee on a $200k car is cheap insurance

Agree. The "Best" quality job is not usually the cheapest. But, it's not necessarily the most expensive either (IMHO).
Lots of guys out there doing this type of work in SoCal area and you really need to do your homework. When I finally choose one , it will be based on who I think will do the "Best" work and not necessarily the price . And , that price could be more or less than the $1,400.00 (?).

Specracer

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Nov 28, 2005
MA
If it matters or helps any, had our new raptor front, door sills, mirrors, and rear fender splash area done, $850, and they brought the film to the hood graphic PERFECT, I can't believe how close it lines up. I mean perfect. This the resource of rocketmans detailer, Ryan that we have been using for a long time and has done all of my cars as well as Ron's.

bonehead

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 18, 2012
Houston, TX
If it matters or helps any, had our new raptor front, door sills, mirrors, and rear fender splash area done, $850, and they brought the film to the hood graphic PERFECT, I can't believe how close it lines up. I mean perfect. This the resource of rocketmans detailer, Ryan that we have been using for a long time and has done all of my cars as well as Ron's.

What film, Andy?

Specracer

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Nov 28, 2005
MA
Xpell. It is really nice. I have a garage full of various films over the years. this is by far the best I've gotten.

GT Venum

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Dec 4, 2010
Wisconsin
+1 for Xpel

Be sure to ask for the Ultimate Film.

bonehead

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 18, 2012
Houston, TX
Xpell. It is really nice. I have a garage full of various films over the years. this is by far the best I've gotten.

$850 for XPEL on a Raptor?? Can you clarify what you mean by 'front'? Does that include front bumper, hood, fenders all the way back to the windshield?