Cleaning front GT stripes?

leon

GT Owner
May 29, 2006
Hilton Head Island, SC
Took my GT out for a high speed run on a deserted road. Didn't pick up any tickets but did manage to get a lot of bugs. How do you clean off the bugs on the stripes? Afraid to use regular cleaners as I don't want to damage the stripes.

LEON
Hilton Head Island, SC

funat50

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Oct 1, 2006
Greensboro NC - IOP, SC
Keeping front clean

I would like to know if anyone has had the clear masking applied on the front. It's supposed to protect against chips and be easy to clean.

fly-by

GT Owner
Mar 22, 2006
Funat50,i put the 3m clear bra on just about a week ago to avoid the usual chips and road debri. I did so with some trepidation as the angles on the car are difficult to cover without bubbles. The shop i choose based on a couple of other GTowners input did a superb job. Went out for a run with some other owners last weekend and boy was i glad i did it as there was quite a bit of small gravel on the road. The other concern i had was how noticeable would it be or detract from the painted look. No worries it looks great and you can hardly notice where it stops and starts.

cashman

Sep 26, 2006
fly-by said:
Funat50,i put the 3m clear bra on just about a week ago to avoid the usual chips and road debri. I did so with some trepidation as the angles on the car are difficult to cover without bubbles. The shop i choose based on a couple of other GTowners input did a superb job. Went out for a run with some other owners last weekend and boy was i glad i did it as there was quite a bit of small gravel on the road. The other concern i had was how noticeable would it be or detract from the painted look. No worries it looks great and you can hardly notice where it stops and starts.

What was the name of the shop that you had the clear bra done at?

fjpikul

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 4, 2006
Belleville, IL
The stripes are painted on. Treat them, as you would any other painted surface. I bought the Speedlingerie bra and mirror covers (see pictures in my members gallery). I've been very happy with it. fjpikul

SYCO GT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Sep 9, 2006
California
Would love any recommendations for a southern california shop that can apply such a 3M or equivalent product.

I have never used a clear bra before, but it sounds like the way to go.

prmoldoaks

GT Owner
Jul 31, 2006
Trouble with the 3m (I've experienced on other cars) is that you get white lines where you polish the car. These lines are hard to stop, and get the polish out.

If you have not experienced this 3m before, just look down by the Gt's wheels, there is a small section already treated to stop stone chips thrown up by the wheels.

The other proble I have with 3m, it does not allow you to treat, clean the paintwork, and I've newver been happy with the shine you get against real polished paintwork?

These are small areas you will need to compramise on if you want to protect your car from chips, there is not an ideal answer.

The Bra gives you protection whilst driving and you can take it off for shows and to admire the original paintwork, but it does look a bit naff on, and the name "front bra" who came up with that.

Probably the best compromise is the Bra, you get the best of both

1. Protected pain
2. Still original polished finish

TEXAS GT

2006 Twin Turbo
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
I've had the 3M on mine for well over a year and have never had anybody notice it. Not even one comment until I point it out.The best thing is that I can also point out that I have NO chips or bug discoloration. This stuff is the best investment you can make for any of your cars you value.

tiger 6

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Mar 5, 2006
virginia
Leon,
I use a product called 1Z, Anti Insekt + Vorreiniger. I purchased it from the autopia.org web site store. Works great on painted surfaces and clear bra applications.
Wet the area to be cleaned, let stand for a few minutes,wipe off with soft sponge supplied with 1Z-this will take care of most of the bugs etc. For those that remain, spray area with 1Z, let stand a few minutes, wipe off with damp sponge, clean area with hose water. Try to do this as soon as you can after a drive-the longer this stuff sits, the more difficult it is to remove. I've used this on my GT's stripes with no problems.

SteveA

GT Owner/B.O.D
Mark IV Lifetime
Dec 13, 2005
Sandpoint Id
SYCO GT said:
Would love any recommendations for a southern california shop that can apply such a 3M or equivalent product.

I have never used a clear bra before, but it sounds like the way to go.

I used "Chips Away" in Orange. 714 350 6070. He did it at his home in about 3 to 4 hrs.

KJRGT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
May 4, 2006
SoCal
I used a shop in Irwindale. Happy to share the information with you if you want. Email me at kandtroberts@earthlink.net.