Clamshell Side Vents, (Beside Glass) Peeling Off!

T_R_S

GT Owner
Mar 6, 2008
There is a little annoying thing starting to happen with the black side vents beside the glass window to the engine. The black coating on the plastic is actually peeling off. Has anyone else had any problems with this?

I guess I could just get them painted or something, but then that may look weird.

It seems really "cheap" for this to be happening.

H

HHGT

Sorry to hear of your troubles. RV King aka Jim here had this happen to his 2005 and had them changed under warranty. What yr. is yours?

BTW, would you recommend the Al Raha Beach Hotel?

T_R_S

GT Owner
Mar 6, 2008
Mine is a 2005, it is such a little thing yet still manages to bother me a lot.

As for the Al Raha Beach Hotel, myself I never really head to Abu Dhabi very often and have never been there myself. I also don't recall knowing anyone who has stayed there. I know more about some of the hotels in the Dubai area.

What I can think of is that it has the benefit of being more secluded so possibly more relaxing, but at the same time it is close to both Abu Dhabi and Dubai if you want to go shopping or see some sights. I believe it is about 20 minutes from Abu Dhabi and one hour from Dubai (the nicer side of Dubai, the older part will take longer to get to).

I guess it depends on what you plan on doing, I know there it is about 10 minutes from the Al Ghazal Sand Golf Course but then again there are also Golf Courses all over Dubai. Myself, I'm not a golfer so I can not vouch for how good it is.

standj

GT OWNER
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 23, 2007
Wyoming
My 2005 had the issue, which was corrected under warranty back in 2008.

John

JOETWINT

FORD GT OWNER
Mark IV Lifetime
Jan 22, 2008
Brooklyn N.Y.
It happened to mine also,after putting some blue tape on them to protect them when I was polishing the car.I pulled the tape up and the textured paint finish came with it.I had mine properly prepped,sealed and primed and then finished with the correct textured paint by a body shop.You can't tell the difference and now I can put tape on them without the paint coming off.Cost was $150.00.

H

HHGT

Thanks TRS...

It sounds like this is mostly a 2005 issue.

Pete S.

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Aug 18, 2006
MA
I am thinking this is going to be another item that will fail on all but the 'garage queens'. I am over 22,000 miles on mine with some track time and have not experienced that particular problem; yet. I think PE2UNIA is also having those pieces cut out of nice blocks of quality aluminum. I look forward to seeing first hand in a week or so the back vents paitned with the help of SHADOWMAN. I have a set and have them being clear coated as I do enjoy the look of the machine grooves, similar to the early A arms.

Pete S.

pe2unia

GT
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
I am thinking this is going to be another item that will fail on all but the 'garage queens'. I am over 22,000 miles on mine with some track time and have not experienced that particular problem; yet. I think PE2UNIA is also having those pieces cut out of nice blocks of quality aluminum. I look forward to seeing first hand in a week or so the back vents paitned with the help of SHADOWMAN. I have a set and have them being clear coated as I do enjoy the look of the machine grooves, similar to the early A arms.

Pete S.

Pete I think they are talking about the trim around the rear glass and not the side vents that we are doing:thumbsup

Pete S.

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Aug 18, 2006
MA
Pete I think they are talking about the trim around the rear glass and not the side vents that we are doing:thumbsup

I know, and it's just one more item for you to make when enough begin to falter.

Pete S.

Pete S.

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Aug 18, 2006
MA
. . . Right after the last post I went ot garage and opened up the clamshell as there seemed to be s bit of movement in those pieces on either side of the rear window. Half the hardware was missing, short black blunt-tipped screws, each with a black washer (metal) and a black plastic washer, and the remaining hardware was loose! Most likely would have lost them in a week or so and never known where. (Probably would have been at VIR and flattened my tires the next circuit) Created additional hardware by blunting screws on the grinding wheel and spaced out accordingly; snuggung everything back up.

Without this forum . . . .

Pete S.

T_R_S

GT Owner
Mar 6, 2008
Thanks TRS...

It sounds like this is mostly a 2005 issue.

Where you wondering about that Hotel for the Formula One Race?

H

HHGT

Where you wondering about that Hotel for the Formula One Race?

I am actually exploring business opportunities in the UAE. I have an invite from the MOD and was curious where to stay for a reasonable price.

T_R_S

GT Owner
Mar 6, 2008
I am actually exploring business opportunities in the UAE. I have an invite from the MOD and was curious where to stay for a reasonable price.

Oh okay, I was just wondering because I went to Abu Dhabi for a meeting yesterday and on the way I saw that Hotel. I had forgotten it was right by the new Formula One track, so I thought maybe that was why you were coming.