Clamshell bumpers

extrap

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 16, 2020
Gainesville FL
Received today already (y) Haven't installed yet, but they look good! Thanks again Michael.

Reactions: 2112 and Johntpr

Blue/white 06'
Mark II Lifetime
Received today already (y) Haven't installed yet, but they look good! Thanks again Michael.

Dang, that was fast. Let me know if you have any issues.

Reactions: Johntpr

Art138

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jan 4, 2011
Weston,FL
Also received mine….the aluminum finish with the embedded bumper looks great.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2112 and Johntpr

Johntpr

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jan 18, 2017
Rockland County, NY
Highly recommended, got mine today !

Reactions: 2112

BM SoCal

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 2, 2009
Orange County, CA
Yeah, I will stick with my corrective option.

BTW, I asked you for months to get your solution out there. No response, so I dealt with it in a way I approach everything. All-in.
Received mine today, gorgeous. Thank you

Blue/white 06'
Mark II Lifetime
Contact me if you have any questions.

Blue/white 06'
Mark II Lifetime
To install them, just line up the relief with the doubled up spring and snap into place with your fingers.

Attachments

• IMG_2699.jpeg
    IMG_2699.jpeg
    3.3 MB · Views: 28

DakotaGT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Dec 9, 2012
Sioux Falls, South Dakota
Got mine too; they look great. I just ordered the base components with the spring (mine heretofore just had the stationary bumpers). Excited to have a clamshell that "pops up" when I pull the release!

Blue/white 06'
Mark II Lifetime
The second run was finished early. A few were waiting for Delrin and those are shipping out Monday morning.

I have 22 sets of aluminum and 17 sets of Delrin if anyone else wants some.

Reactions: Bbhaynes

jammer

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Apr 19, 2016
Received my two sets today. Both look great with high quality of finish. Well done Michael, thank you.

DakotaGT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Dec 9, 2012
I think I found it. Under $30 for the pair. unscrew the plug in doohickey and use the nuts from the old ones. I believe the spring is sturdier than the original.

Fyi, I bought these and unfortunately, they aren't quite right. The threaded stud on my original "solid" bumper is M8-1.25, and on these replacements, it is M6-1.0 I bought these Mustang ones from this link because they were a little cheaper than the GT replacement part, but that didn't work out too well.

clamshell bumper.jpg

Blue/white 06'
Mark II Lifetime
Clint, I think the FoMoCo unit I linked to above is going to have the same diameter threaded body as the unit you have pictured.

Even tho I struggled with the tops crumbling over the last few years, I never had one slip around on the mounting surface. (I am only making them snug tight) Maybe a small bushing would make it more definitive in it's location on the frame platform.

DakotaGT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Dec 9, 2012
Clint, I think the FoMoCo unit I linked to above is going to have the same diameter threaded body as the unit you have pictured.

Even tho I struggled with the tops crumbling over the last few years, I never had one slip around on the mounting surface. (I am only making them snug tight) Maybe a small bushing would make it more definitive in it's location on the frame platform.

Really? Until all of this, I never realized there was anything other than the solid bumpers, so I've never paid much attention to other GT's setups. Were all FGT clamshell bumpers originally the solid type? Because I imagine if Ford switched at some point to the springed-bumpers, they surely would've used the same size mounting stud. Are people just sticking their springed-bumper assemblies through the larger hole on the mounting plate and fastening with a washer/nut on the underside?

Yes, I had considered making a little bushing or just wrapping the stud with a little electrical or gorilla tape, or even using one of these:

Blue/white 06'
Mark II Lifetime
I honestly can’t remember if this was an add-on guys were doing when they got the GTG’s lever bar, or if some of the later cars came with it to begin with. I have had it since 2010.

Maybe I should ask my machinist to make up some bushings, tho I also like the inserts you linked to.

What is the diameter of the non-threaded shank of the solid bumpstop bolt?

Last edited:

DakotaGT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Dec 9, 2012
What is the diameter of the non-threaded shank of the solid bumpstop bolt?

10 mm

Blue/white 06'
Mark II Lifetime

Thank you

Let me see about making some bushings.

Even Delrin bushings might be enough considering the low load.

Reactions: DakotaGT

fjpikul

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 4, 2006
Belleville, IL
I don't remember when exactly the springs showed up, but they were stock equipment on all GTs in 2006. The Thunderbird also used them. GT Guys opening bar had nothing to do with it. Some guys with 05 cars changed to the springs using Tbird parts. When cars were new in 05, the struts helped push the clamshell up to open. As they lost pressure, the springs became more popular.

DakotaGT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Dec 9, 2012
I don't remember when exactly the springs showed up, but they were stock equipment on all GTs in 2006. The Thunderbird also used them. GT Guys opening bar had nothing to do with it. Some guys with 05 cars changed to the springs using Tbird parts. When cars were new in 05, the struts helped push the clamshell up to open. As they lost pressure, the springs became more popular.

Interesting. My 2006 has the solid bumpers; I guess they could have been changed out since my car was 5-6 years old when I bought it.

So there must be springed units out there that use the same size stud as the solid bumpers.

TO AWSUM

Ford GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 4, 2007
Niceville FL
Clint my '06 also came with the solid bumpers. My '06 was actually manufactured in Dec '05. So, the spring bumpers must have come after that some time.

My spring replacement is Ford part #6G7Z-6343128-A. I don't remember exactly the details of installing it since it was probably 10 years ago, but I believe I slipped or screwed it into the solid bumper hole and screwed a nut on the bottom of the bolt. Probably a neoprene locking nut. Haven't had a problem with it except for the rubber top deteriorating.

Last edited:

Blue/white 06'
Mark II Lifetime

☝️might be a quick solution