Clamshell alignment

teej

GT Owner
Jan 12, 2010
West Los Angeles
Hi - I tried to find an answer by searching but all the posts didnt address the problem I have.

My clamshell rubs at the rear corner, drivers side, when I am opening the shell (it rubs right at the rear corner, and during the last few inches of movement before the clamshell is all the way up).

I was going to dig in and look for a way to align it (1/16" of an inch is all I need) but before I do that, any suggestions / tips?

It just started rubbing.

thx in advance.

shelbyelite

PERMANENTLY BANNED
May 10, 2007
The adjustment will be in the rear facia/bumper. There are several places the rear bumper attaches that have adjustment in them

Aug 25, 2006
Hi - I tried to find an answer by searching but all the posts didnt address the problem I have.

My clamshell rubs at the rear corner, drivers side, when I am opening the shell (it rubs right at the rear corner, and during the last few inches of movement before the clamshell is all the way up).

I was going to dig in and look for a way to align it (1/16" of an inch is all I need) but before I do that, any suggestions / tips?

It just started rubbing.

thx in advance.

If I can help please let me know

PM or call me and I will walk you through the process

Takes care

Shadowman

teej

GT Owner
Jan 12, 2010
West Los Angeles
If I can help please let me know

PM or call me and I will walk you through the process

Takes care

Shadowman

Thanks - I'll take you up on that offer. I had Rich Brooks do a bumper delete this year and just noticed that the new panel is out of alignment as well (I don't think it was before).

Aug 25, 2006
Thanks - I'll take you up on that offer. I had Rich Brooks do a bumper delete this year and just noticed that the new panel is out of alignment as well (I don't think it was before).

I can and will gladly assist

Chats soon

Shadowman

Derry

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Apr 5, 2006
buffalo, NY
I had the same issue that just started a few weeks ago, really bugged me how it just started happening after 4 years. Anyway Shadowman walked me through the procedure and all is well! Have blue tape on hand:biggrin Thanks again Shadowman!
Derry

Chris A.

GT #32
Mark II Lifetime
Feb 6, 2007
Ortega Mountain, CA
Post the process when you're done Teej.....I think there's quite a few of us with a similar issue.

thegtguy

*Supporting Vendor* GT Owner
Apr 20, 2006
MI
Panel

It just started rubbing.

thx in advance.

Feel free to call anytime to see if I can help. Those CDC kits don't always hold like they should and move around from time to time. More than likely something heat cycled and has slightly moved.

OzarkGT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Sep 4, 2009
Clamshell

I have the same situation, instructions for the adjustment would be greatly appreciated. Wally

teej

GT Owner
Jan 12, 2010
West Los Angeles
Solved

It was a simple fix made easy because of some seasoned expertise (thanks Rich).

Here's the fix for those who need it:
- My issue was a very slight rub at the corner of the clamshell, as the clamshell was almost all the way open (to make sure your problem is the same)
- The fix is to adjust the rear fascia, not to adjust the alignment of the clamshell
- Tape off both the clamshell edges and the fascia edges along the gap, see pic
- Use a torx 27 driver to loosen the two fasteners, one on each side (I had to loosen both)
- Hold the fascia and pull it back as much as you need. I couldnt really feel mine move but it moved enough for the clearance I needed
- Re-tighten the fastners, remove tape, go drive

I still have the bumper delete panel out of alignment a bit, but Rich tells me there is no way to get to it, unless I start removing other things, so Shadowman, I'm sure I'll end up at your shop sometime this year for a racing muffler (I should have listened to Rich and put it in when he was removing the bumper - oh well).

Attachments

• pic1.jpg
    pic1.jpg
    31.5 KB · Views: 350
  • pic2.jpg
    pic2.jpg
    24.7 KB · Views: 352
Aug 25, 2006
It was a simple fix made easy because of some seasoned expertise (thanks Rich).

Here's the fix for those who need it:
- My issue was a very slight rub at the corner of the clamshell, as the clamshell was almost all the way open (to make sure your problem is the same)
- The fix is to adjust the rear fascia, not to adjust the alignment of the clamshell
- Tape off both the clamshell edges and the fascia edges along the gap, see pic
- Use a torx 27 driver to loosen the two fasteners, one on each side (I had to loosen both)
- Hold the fascia and pull it back as much as you need. I couldnt really feel mine move but it moved enough for the clearance I needed
- Re-tighten the fastners, remove tape, go drive

I still have the bumper delete panel out of alignment a bit, but Rich tells me there is no way to get to it, unless I start removing other things, so Shadowman, I'm sure I'll end up at your shop sometime this year for a racing muffler (I should have listened to Rich and put it in when he was removing the bumper - oh well).

The fact that you took on the task IMO is a great thing; FYI there are 2 bolts that are able to be accessed once the license plate is removed that further the process of moving the rear fascia too and then the last thing is to adjust the three pencil braces that merge at the outer corner behind the rear wheels.

I will be glad to assist from afar or with your gal in person; just let me know what works best for you.

As for the CDC bumper delete; I have massaged many after the fact and always have them looking and fitting very nice. The problem is that out of the box they do "not" fit very well typically leaving the uppers corners sticking out past the body/rear fascia.

All the best

Shadowman

OzarkGT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Sep 4, 2009
Perfectly timed thread, I had noticed the same thing on my clamshell just this weekend and voila' this thread comes up. Thank you all for the great information. :thumbsup Wally