Choosing between a two or four post hoist?

Edson

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Mar 28, 2007
Santa Monica
What is better for working on the GT, a two or four post hoist?

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
SF Bay Area in California
It depends on what you are doing.

Two posts are a pain to get to the correct jacking points on the GT, far inboard. The car is low and making boards a neccessary, and you have to bend you head down low to see the jacking points. These problems go away with a 4 post. However wheel and suspension work will be harder, or impossible without getting some rolling jacks.

I decide to be lazy and got a 4 post with 2 rolling jacks. Expensive but the best solution for working on a GT. Love the setup easy to do most anything!

Sinovac

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 18, 2006
Largo, Florida
I would use a four post on the GT. I got the narrow/short bay, commercial Rotary lift and it works great.

http://i37.photobucket.com/albums/e91/Sinovac/Plateobscured.jpg

timcantwell

Le Mans 2010 Sponsor * Moderator
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 22, 2006
N.E. OH & Naples, FL
I have both. There's no beating the two post for suspension and wheel work, but can't drop all the pans with the arms in the way. Matching up the jacking points to the arms are not that hard with some practice. The four post lets you drop the pans much easier, and is great for oil and engine service.

standj

GT OWNER
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 23, 2007
Wyoming
Tim, What type of four post lift do you have? I have a old autolifters lift and the clearance between the mirrors and the posts is 1/4 of an inch.

John

B O N Y

MODERATOR & FGT OWNER
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 5, 2005
Fresno, Ca.
If you go two post route, make darn sure that you have a solid foundation with a good 6" slab of concrete to anchor it. Very important to check out before you take delivery and determine you have an issue.

MAD IN NC

Proud Owner/ BOD blah bla
Mark IV Lifetime
Feb 14, 2006
North Carolina
If you go two post route, make darn sure that you have a solid foundation with a good 6" slab of concrete to anchor it. Very important to check out before you take delivery and determine you have an issue.

Is this from first hand experience dear moderator. You selling a two post?:lol

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State
What is better for working on the GT, a two or four post hoist?

If you're attending SEMA, there'll be 11,384 different 'hoists around there for you to check out ...give or take a dozen.

I'm going to be looking for 2 more to buy my own darn self. Thanks to my wonderful neighbors, it's now "car stacking time" around here. :bored ('Size of my 2nd garage was dictated by THEM, if you can believe it. So much for the "land of the free". :thumbsdow)

MAD IN NC

Proud Owner/ BOD blah bla
Mark IV Lifetime
Feb 14, 2006
North Carolina
Thanks to my wonderful neighbors, it's now "car stacking time" around here. :bored ('Size of my 2nd garage was dictated by THEM, if you can believe it. So much for the "land of the free". :thumbsdow)

Same problem - something about building a brick garage to match the house for $80k per "ASSOCIATION NATSI'S" rules has me looking for a new house.

Problem is wrong time to sell - great time to buy!

B O N Y

MODERATOR & FGT OWNER
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 5, 2005
Fresno, Ca.
Is this from first hand experience dear moderator. You selling a two post?:lol

:banana:willy:banana
my lips are sealed....

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State
Same problem - something about building a brick garage to match the house for $80k per "ASSOCIATION NATSI'S" rules has me looking for a new house.

Problem is wrong time to sell - great time to buy!

Well, in my case, there is no H.O.A. ...just the stinkin' city code - a varience for which I applied ... and the neighbors "shot down." (Haven't said a voluntary word to a ONE of 'em since ... and this happened back in '94.)

If you're staying in the same housing MARKET, all will be relative in the "buy/sell" department anyway. It'll make no diff WHEN you do either one as long as there's no big gap in the time frame for doing both.

Last edited:

B O N Y

MODERATOR & FGT OWNER
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 5, 2005
Fresno, Ca.
If you're attending SEMA, there'll be 11,384 different 'hoists around there for you to check out ...give or take a dozen.

I'm going to be looking for 2 more to buy my own darn self. Thanks to my wonderful neighbors, it's now "car stacking time" around here. :bored ('Size of my 2nd garage was dictated by THEM, if you can believe it. So much for the "land of the free". :thumbsdow)

After checking out the foor,... be sure to check the height and,,,,.... take into consideration the clearance needed for the garage door opener....:eek

B O N Y

MODERATOR & FGT OWNER
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 5, 2005
Fresno, Ca.
Well, in my case, there is no H.O.A. ...just the stinkin' city code - a varience for which I applied for ...and the neighbors "shot down." (Haven't said a voluntary word to a ONE of 'em since ...and this happened back in '94.)

If you're staying in the same housing MARKET, all will be relative in the "buy/sell" department anyway. It'll make no diff WHEN you do either one as long as there's no big gap in the time frame of doing both.

Think if you wait 18 months you will see what a real buyers market looks like.:ack

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State
After checking out the foor,... be sure to check the height and,,,,.... take into consideration the clearance needed for the garage door opener....:eek

15 foot ceiling all across ... 'Smallest door is 10' wide ... floor is 6" thick 'n' has more rebar innit than yur average highway!

While there is no pblm with clearance for "opener" mechanisms, I opted to leave those OUT for security reasons. I mean, it's not like I go in and out of THAT garage every 10 minutes. (And, SHUDDUP, Bony! I KNOW where yur gunna wanna go with that last stmt!!!!! :mad)

B O N Y

MODERATOR & FGT OWNER
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 5, 2005
Fresno, Ca.
Larry, be nice, least I go into the admin control pannel and take away your option to choose fonts, and sizes and emotions.... might as well reduce your post count to 58, while I am there.... :)

Wait a second, I am sure I could make some "Alex' money and start a collection to do just that.

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State
Larry, be nice, least I go into the admin control pannel and take away your option to choose fonts, and sizes and emotions.... might as well reduce your post count to 58, while I am there.... :)

Wait a second, I am sure I could make some "Alex' money and start a collection to do just that.

Yew could. Yup, yew could. But, your kind and merciful nature - and the proper upbringing your parents so obviously provided - will doubtless prevent you from seriously considering those options, now won't they.:bow:bow:bow

B O N Y

MODERATOR & FGT OWNER
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 5, 2005
Fresno, Ca.
Yew could. Yup, yew could. But, your kind and merciful nature - and the proper upbringing your parents so obviously provided - will doubtless prevent you from seriously considering those options, now won't they.:bow:bow:bow

This is true:biggrin:lol:biggrin

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State
I just knowed it. My faith in your character has been reaffirmed yet again...:cheers

(...Was that gramatically correct? "reaffirmed yet again"? 'Don't think so...:ack 'Just, "reaffirmed". Ya. That's it. Whutever... it oughta save muh butt anyway...:biggrin)

Blue Moose

GT
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Apr 12, 2006
Chandler,Arizona.
(...Was that gramatically correct? "reaffirmed yet again"? ..:biggrin)[/QUOTE]

Checked with the Department of Redundancy Department...:biggrin They say "Kind of, Sort of ".

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State
(...Was that gramatically correct? "reaffirmed yet again"? ..:biggrin)

Checked with the Department of Redundancy Department...:biggrin They say "Kind of, Sort of ".[/QUOTE]

Thank you for the clarification and clearing that up!:rofl