GT Owner
Staff member
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 13, 2006
Scottsdale, Arizona
Chip can't help it.

Gentlemen,

My beautiful Cobra KMP304 now resides in France. I seldom drove it but it was pure garage art. I built a second complete intake system (Holley 4bbl with turkey pan) so I could drive around with an air cleaner on Arizona's dusty roads. The 4 downdraft Webbers were a real hit at car shows although they were hard to tune. I prefer the shade and air conditioning in my Ford GT however.

Chip

KK6.jpgKK1.jpgKK2.jpgKK4.jpgKK5.jpg

Aug 25, 2006
She does look sweeeet!!

Takes care

Shadowman

H

HHGT

I though Gaby here in SOCal bought it.

Waldo

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 7, 2005
Fort Worth, TX
Chip,

That thing is bad a#$.

I agree with you though. In Arizona, shade is nice.

Aug 25, 2006

I do recall this being the case too however in the same breath I suspect that California was not anxious to allow a license plate to be issued for her.

Takes care

Shadowman

ChipBeck

GT Owner
Staff member
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 13, 2006
Scottsdale, Arizona

He did buy it but it's brute nature with no power steering or brakes, no A/C or radio, no top and a ferocious level of noise through the side pipes was not his cup of tea. I helped him with his sale ad and spoke to prospective buyers. The new owner in France has contacted me and he loves the car. A Cobra is not for everybody, and a 2100 lb big block aluminum Cobra with 650 hp requires even more attention and respect than a small block fiberglass car. Although my TTGT is faster, it is still tame compared to that Kirkham.

Chip

soroush

Ford Gt Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 8, 2007
He did buy it but it's brute nature with no power steering or brakes, no A/C or radio, no top and a ferocious level of noise through the side pipes was not his cup of tea. I helped him with his sale ad and spoke to prospective buyers. The new owner in France has contacted me and he loves the car. A Cobra is not for everybody, and a 2100 lb big block aluminum Cobra with 650 hp requires even more attention and respect than a small block fiberglass car. Although my TTGT is faster, it is still tame compared to that Kirkham.

Chip

I know what you mean chip. those things can be a handfull especially if you let them get away from you! no forgiveness in driving a beast like that, I remember drooling when I first saw the pics of your former AC and was thinking I should buy it, but then reality set in for me too, I have a hard enough time driving my b2 with no power steering, no power brakes, making half the power, and weighing twice as much as your cobra, and still cant drive it that well. sadly my b2 has become a garage queen too, but Im not selling it:)

bosscobra

Aug 24, 2007
motor city
O my...what a beautiful automobile.

FordGT4fun

hi chip,
in which part of France is now based your Cobra? This must be not easy to made such a car in our country street ready because there are lot of admin stuff which must be done. For years ago i´m looking for a BMW alpina B3S in germany but alpina is not imported in France so i needed to get all the technical specification from alpina about the car ( its a really big folder with all quotes..) and then with this apply to get it immatriculate but this could take one year because each bolt will be verified . This is the same with american cars but if they were imported in europe and have the european certificate its really easy but i don´t think so that its possible to get an european certificate for your cobra.
anyway the new owner will have fun with this devil machine, i hope she will be in good hands
regards
Pierre

Blue/white 06'
Mark II Lifetime
What is a b2? :confused

ObeyMyFast!

GT Owner's son
May 5, 2009
San Diego
Is that an XR650L in the background?

soroush

Ford Gt Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 8, 2007
What is a b2? :confused

sorry boss 302's are sometimes refered to as b2's
here are a collection of some fine ones in the ford gt forum family! http://www.fordgtforum.com/forums/s...ored-1970-BOSS-302-MUSTANG&highlight=boss+302

Blue/white 06'
Mark II Lifetime
I remember that thread of gorgeous Boss 302s. I just hadn't put together the new acronym for them. :rolleyes

Thanks,

desmo

Jun 20, 2010
France, Paris, Le Mans
hi chip,
in which part of France is now based your Cobra? This must be not easy to made such a car in our country street ready because there are lot of admin stuff which must be done. For years ago i´m looking for a BMW alpina B3S in germany but alpina is not imported in France so i needed to get all the technical specification from alpina about the car ( its a really big folder with all quotes..) and then with this apply to get it immatriculate but this could take one year because each will be verified . This is the same with american cars but if they were imported in europe and have the european certificate its really easy but i don´t think so that its possible to get an european certificate for your cobra.
anyway the new owner will have fun with this devil machine, i hope she will be in good hands
regards
Pierre

Hi Pierre

I'm the new owner of this beautiful serpent...
I live in Paris but the car is now located in my country house, in Normandy, not so far from Le Mans (90 km).
Kmp304 is in very good hands !

Emmanuel

PILOTJPW1

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 22, 2005
Maryland
Man I am still full of regret for not grabbing that thing.

What a car it is.
I wanted to pull the trigger on that thing so bad. The car may be a total handful to drive but it's hard to imagine too many others that could bring the attention in a garage or display. Of course how many batteries can I trickle charge to death.

It was a long term bargain IMO.

FordGT4fun

Hi Pierre

I'm the new owner of this beautiful serpent...
I live in Paris but the car is now located in my country house, in Normandy, not so far from Le Mans (90 km).
Kmp304 is in very good hands !

Emmanuel

Hi Emmanuel,
Congratulations, i hope you will have a lot of fun with your "serpent" . Its amazing on sunday i was watching as usual M6 Turbo and suprise they show a collector of AC Cobras near L.A
and i was thinking about the new owner of Chip´s Cobra an surprise one day later i saw your post .
It´s cool to know that this beautiful "serpent" ist in very good hands. but i would like to know how you got it street legal in France . Maybe we can mailing if you like of course in french lol my e-mail is : easytoremember@free.fr
Regards
Pierre

twobjshelbys

GT Owner
Jul 26, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
I can relate to the Cobra and the issues that caused Chip to let his go. I too have one (a Shelby CSX). My wife does not like, and will no longer ride in, the car - it's a beast and "too" - too hot (passenger footbox is an oven, even more so than driver), too noisy (side pipes are loud, even when moving and in the car), too smelly (exhaust at stop signs), too windy (no top), too hard to get in and out (she got a pretty bad snake bite, but most people only do that once) and the "too" list goes on. All of those things are good for me and anyone who's ever driven one but not for her. The safety thing is a big deal for her - you're not supposed to put shoulder harnesses on the passenger side without a roll bar - else you become the roll bar, and that scares her - yet they are important for any other side, rear or front collision.

The FGT is a civilized beast - air conditioning and regular seat belts.

They have an awful lot of HP for the weight, and the short wheel base exacerbates the imbalance. I've spun mine around three times just downshifting into a turn (don't do that, use the brakes). I've also gotten pommeled severely about the head and shoulders in a hail storm.

It's all the fun you can have, legally, sitting in a chair, in public, with your clothes on. :)