ChipBeck

GT Owner
Staff member
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 13, 2006
Scottsdale, Arizona
Gentlemen,

These two videos showed up on U-Tube recently. I don't know who posted them (it wasn't me) and they aren't the best quality but they brought back some fine memories. This video was taken at the Phoenix 500 Air Races/Air Show. I still own and fly this aircraft and still enjoy aerobatics in it. The Glasair III is the Shelby Cobra of light aircraft. A very small and strong plane with a very big engine stuffed into it. Capable of +9 to -6 G's with full inverted systems it will flow fuel and maintain oil pressure in any attitude. Flying straight vertical down at 350 mph the rate of decent is 31,000 feet per minute. I have lots of really good in-cockpit and ground based video shot by Speed Vision and ESPN that I've been planning to edit and post but I never get around to it. Maybe someday.

Chip

[video=youtube;nm24Odlvglk]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nm24Odlvglk&feature=relmfu[/video]

[video=youtube;q2XrN5RXgCQ]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q2XrN5RXgCQ&feature=relmfu[/video]

Last edited:

Chris A.

GT #32
Mark II Lifetime
Feb 6, 2007
Ortega Mountain, CA
Amazing Chip! I can’t see how anything could compare to be as much fun as that.

Shelby#18

GTX1 Owner/Moderator
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Dec 15, 2006
Nev./So. Cal./Minn.
Chip, I've heard from some of the members who have had the opportunity to be flown by you. I lost my lunch just watching....:rofl

Last edited:

GTdrummer

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Mar 13, 2010
Richmond Virginia
That has to be an amazing thrill. I can't imagine how much fun that would be. Well done.

roketman

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Oct 24, 2005
ma.
Chip ,
WOW ,that is awesome! Very impressive!!!!!
I was thinking ,Iv'e given you a few rides .How about giving me one in plane??

ChipBeck

GT Owner
Staff member
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 13, 2006
Scottsdale, Arizona
Chip,
WOW, that is awesome! Very impressive!!!! I was thinking, I've given you a few rides. How about giving me one in your plane??

Ron,

I'd be happy to. DBK and Camilo (photo below) have both gone up with me. All you gotta do is get here. Or, sometime after Thanksgiving Ray Hofman is going to host a GT Forum Fly-In at his hanger in Midland, Texas. I'll be giving rides to members at that event. One way or another we'll make it happen.

Chip

Attachments

• Cirrus 2.jpg
    Cirrus 2.jpg
    129.4 KB · Views: 1,239

tpraceman

THEE GT OWNER
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 20, 2006
Washington Michigan
Chip for president ........my HERO