Chin spoiler screw torque

I had the rear pans off my car yesterday to check on stuff (all OK) and thought I would check the tightness of the screws holding on the front spoiler. I noted that there are two kinds of screws - across the back are torx screws identical to those holding the rear pans on, but along the front are heavier screws with hex/slotted heads.

Checking the workshop manual for the torque for the screws, it specifies (page 501-02-10) 27 Nm (20 ft-lbs) for all of them. This cannot possibly be correct, because the torx screws on the rear are only tightened to 62 in lbs (5.2 ft-lbs). :confused

So: what are the correct torque settings for the chin spoiler screws (both kinds)?

Mullet

FORD GT OWNER
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 21, 2008
Houston Texas
you really use a torque wrench for that?

Chris A.

GT #32
Mark II Lifetime
Feb 6, 2007
Ortega Mountain, CA
you really use a torque wrench for that?

Ha!...I was thinking the same thing......but I bet he's torque wrench sensitive due to being a Vincent owner:biggrin

Yes, I use a 30-150 in-lb torque wrench for the pan screws. Ford specifies a torque, so it seems smart to use the info. The thought of over tightening any of them and either breaking one off or stripping a nutsert is not pleasant ...

As far Vincents are concerned, in such ancient times I doubt anyone at the factory ever used a torque wrench :wink

MarkH

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
May 19, 2007
Katy, Texas
I sort of had the same thought, but when we put them back on to go to the Mile we put them as tight as humanly possible and its still not enough....

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State
I sort of had the same thought, but when we put them back on to go to the Mile we put them as tight as humanly possible and its still not enough....

'Use Loctite?

brazilfree

GT Owner
Oct 14, 2012
Arkansas
Close to topic … anyone have a Stillen spoiler? thx

Wwabbit

GT Owner
Mar 21, 2012
Knoxville, TN
There is no standard torque value up there. Most of them just go into a flimsy nut plate and locktite does nothing. Some go into the aluminum stays for the grill support. You know you are working on a Ford GT, but the bolt doesn't know that. Just give 'em a good squeeze.

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State
...locktite does nothing...

:eek Really?! Good lord - to what kind of 'forces' are they subjected!!!? :confused

Wwabbit

GT Owner
Mar 21, 2012
Knoxville, TN
:eek Really?! Good lord - to what kind of 'forces' are they subjected!!!? :confused

Locktite is wasted in the stamped nut clips.

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State
Locktite is wasted in the stamped nut clips.

:facepalm: Clips. Of course...:willy