checking PAS reservoir

enrico

GT Owner
Jul 20, 2010
London, UK
my car has recently developed a "grinding" feeling when steering at low speed (like there is some sand in the rack), I immediately though about a leak on the steering fluid generating a malfunctioning of the power steering assistance.

Went to check the PAS fluid level but (call me stupid) cannot find any max-min level to see if i am running low and need to top up. I am attaching a pick taken tonight, reservoir looks almost empty to me, with the red fluid being only a couple of cm deep.

Is it empty also to your standards? how much extra shall i put?

thx a lot

p.s. transaxle has been breathing some oil as well, might need the cooler soon.
p.p.s. does anyone have a picture by picture guide to install the short throw shifter and remove center console? searched on the forum but most threads with pics are not displaying them anymore...

Aug 25, 2006
The min/max is on the cap dipstick; roughly 1" below the top.

Takes care

Shadowman

enrico

GT Owner
Jul 20, 2010
London, UK
Thanks Shadowman, no wonder i did not spot it, my dipstick does not reach the fluid level apparently.

Any ideas of how the "Mercon ATF" is branded here in the UK?

Aug 25, 2006
Thanks Shadowman, no wonder i did not spot it, my dipstick does not reach the fluid level apparently.

Any ideas of how the "Mercon ATF" is branded here in the UK?

You are welcome

Now once you add fluid then start the gal and rotate the steering wheel back and forth checking the level and then look for a leak or seep at a fitting.

Now as for product coding in the UK; I do not know however suspect that any parts house can confirm the proper fluid.

Please let us all know how it turns out

All the best

Shadowman

enrico

GT Owner
Jul 20, 2010
London, UK
i did as you said, didn't manage to spot a leak though. will take her for a spin this w/e and let u know. thanks a lot for your help

nota4re

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 15, 2006
Note that Ford replaced several early steering pumps on cars while under warranty. Just saying that a likely suspect is a leaky pump itself.

Aug 25, 2006
i did as you said, didn't manage to spot a leak though. will take her for a spin this w/e and let u know. thanks a lot for your help

You are welcome and I/we appreciate the update

Keep us in the loop

All the best

Shadowman

enrico

GT Owner
Jul 20, 2010
London, UK
took her for a 50 miles spin in mixed roads, initially the "grinding" feeling was gone due to the successful refill, however, after a while the problem re-surfaced on slow and tight turns. I was hearing a small whining noise when the power steering pump was in action, i am a little bit puzzled by the fact that most of the ATF fluid is still there though.

I had been thinking that the pump might have been damaged (or sucked in some air) when the fluid level was low, can it be? can i inspect the pump w/o lifting the car?

thx again for the kind suggestions

Aug 25, 2006
took her for a 50 miles spin in mixed roads, initially the "grinding" feeling was gone due to the successful refill, however, after a while the problem re-surfaced on slow and tight turns. I was hearing a small whining noise when the power steering pump was in action, i am a little bit puzzled by the fact that most of the ATF fluid is still there though.

I had been thinking that the pump might have been damaged (or sucked in some air) when the fluid level was low, can it be? can i inspect the pump w/o lifting the car?

Hi enrico

There is a specific process as described by Ford to get all of the air out of the system; if this would be a help please PM me and I will share the process.

Takes care

Shadowman

H

HHGT

There was a post today re. a similar noise from the AC clutch. Worth checking...