Check Engine Light

gwbartlett

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Feb 22, 2006
Indiana
The check engine light on my 2005 GT came on at 4,000 miles (Code P0455). McCoy Ford here in Muncie diagnosed it as an evaorative loss. Ford told them to install a new fuel filler neck which they did and reset the computer. The light came on 500 miles later with the same diagnosis (Code P0442). Ford asked the tech to do a complete evaporative system test. The test showed no evaporative loss. The computer was again reset to turn off the light.

Have any other GT owners experienced this? If so was it repaired?

Last edited:

fjpikul

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 4, 2006
Belleville, IL
Check old posts from Analogdesigner. He had a similar problem with replacement.

nota4re

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 15, 2006
It would be helpful to know the actual code you are throwing. OBDII mandates several evap tests - tough to guess which one you are getting. For diagnosis, I should would prefer to have a large evap leak as opposed to a small one (a unique code for each), as an example.

gwbartlett

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Feb 22, 2006
Indiana
Check Engine Light Codes

First code P0455
Second code P0442

nota4re

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 15, 2006
P0455 = Evaporative Emission (EVAP) System Leak Detected
P0442 = Evaporative Emission (EVAP) System Small Leak Detected

Thanks for the codes. OBDII standards will require the OEM to occasionally check for holes/leaks in the EVAP(Fuel) system. This is most commonly done by either drawing a vacuum on the fuel system or by letting a vaccum occur naturally during cool-down. I'm not sure what system Ford is using with the GT. By CARB standards, (all GT's are CARB-compliant, btw) the system must be capable to detect a leak as small as a .040" orifice. In my experience, leak detection tests are normally run (by the on-board ECU) only when the car is more than 3/4 full on fuel but others on this board will state that the Ford test can run independent of fuel level.

While I wish I could point you straight to the problem, this info can instead;

1. Help you to realize even the smallest loose hose, seal, or gasket can trigger a 442 error.

2. Know that you may reset the codes, and think the problem is resolved, only to discover it is back again after your next fill-up. (The ECU will NOT run the test at every ignition cycle.)

3. I *think* that the fact that you also have a P0455 is good news - in that it may indicate that the leak is larger, and perhaps easier to locate.

4. Highest probability would still be with the filler neck since that has been a known cause of this problem.

Best of luck. Let us know what you find.

barondw

GT Owner
Sep 8, 2005
It is a relatively common problem and needs to have the fuel filler pipe replaced. The replacement is nothing major.

Also don't be surprised if it happens again after the initital fix since the flaw is in the filler pipe and to my knowledge Ford has not changed that part. Just another petty annoyance.

There are many posts and several threads on the subject.

Dave

My 05 GT is at the Dealer for the same reason along with a list of others. 1) Check Engine Light On. 2) Battery Tray replacement. 3) Rear vent on clam shell replaced. 4) Hood replaced. 5) Stalling sometimes when coming to a stop. 6) Rattle Snake / Pinging noise coming from somewhere? And this is after I fixed both interior door trim panels that were falling off. I am one frustrated GT owner.

JT

:confused :willy :thumbsdow

analogdesigner

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Nov 15, 2005
San Clemente, CA USA
A preventative solution is on it's way!

I have designed an adapter that temporarily fits onto the gas pump nozzle which protects the fuel filler on your GT. This has been undergoing testing for four months with excellent results. This is something that all GT's need.

Since I had my fuel filler replaced at the dealer, it resulted in a chipped paint job. :frown

More on this product soon!

http://www.fordgtforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=752

Jay

kosupply

GT Owner/Board of Directors
Mark IV Lifetime
Jan 27, 2006
Houston
mine was the o2 sensor...

barondw

GT Owner
Sep 8, 2005
Joseph Tomarchio said:
My 05 GT is at the Dealer for the same reason along with a list of others. 1) Check Engine Light On. 2) Battery Tray replacement. 3) Rear vent on clam shell replaced. 4) Hood replaced. 5) Stalling sometimes when coming to a stop. 6) Rattle Snake / Pinging noise coming from somewhere? And this is after I fixed both interior door trim panels that were falling off. I am one frustrated GT owner.

JT

:confused :willy :thumbsdow

JT the check engine light and stalling are the same problem caused by the bad gas filler pipe. They will do a vacuum check but you need to have less than 1/2 or 3/4 of a tank of gas for them to do the appropriate test.

Dave