changing oil?

930shark

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Dec 20, 2008
Just wondering if there are any special procedures I need to follow when changing the oil?

nota4re

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 15, 2006
Do a search. This topic has been discussed a lot here. Make sure you do the priming procedure.

REDEEMED

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Oct 10, 2008
My car is running great. I ain't never gonna change the oil!!

Lorenzo

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Dec 28, 2008
U.S.A.
You really should get the Workshop Manual specifically for the Ford GT. Your local ford dealer can get it for you or you may be able to get it from Helm Inc. in Detroit Mi.
even owners that don't work on their own cars would benifit from this book. It covers in detail with drawings, General information,Chassis and Suspension, Driveline abd Brakeing systems, Steering, Engine and Powertrain, Transmission, Clutch and transfer case, Exhaust and Fuel systems, Torque spec's, wireing diagrams, Ect.....Ect.....

tmctguer

GT Owner
Jan 11, 2010
dana point, CA
first step: learn EXACTLY where the lift points are on the GT.

second step: buy service manual -- there are some for sale on eBay for $50 - $100.

third step: get a good low profile jack and good jackstands.

fourth step: follow service manual instructions and don't rush things. due to the underpanels of the car, this job will take several hours. use a torque wrench for everything.

fifth step: once you remove the under panel and finish the oil change, check any connections (oil, water) and belts that you can only get to from the bottom of the car. correct any leaks if you find them.

sixth step: clean all under panels so that, at a later date, you might be able to see if you are leaking fluids.

seventh step: follow the priming procedure described in the service manual. although i didn't really see my oil pressure guage move, i primed my engine twice for the allotted time specified in the service manual. (at the risk of getting flamed by others, please note that i DID start my GT while on jack stands and let it run while i inspected it for leaks. you may choose to lower the car and check for leaks, then raise it again to install the under panel)

eighth step: torque all under panel screws. i made sure i lubed the screws prior to putting them back in as they appeared a bit weathered (perhaps it was the affect of different metals in contact)

ninth step: have a beer and admire your handywork knowing it was done correctly.

you might consider changing the transaxle fluid while you have the car jacked up with the underpanel removed.

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State
Here's a direct answer to your specific concerns.

Please particularly note posts #2 & #13:

http://www.fordgtforum.com/forums/s...nging-the-oil&highlight=oil+change+proceedure

w.a.nelson

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Feb 29, 2008
Asbury, NJ and Bourne, MA
Make sure you have a 36mm socket for removal of the oil filter housing.

930shark

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Dec 20, 2008
thanks guys!