change odometer to read kilometers

Gimbal

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Jan 11, 2007
Queenstown, New Zealand
Does anyone know a way of temporarily changing the odometer to read kilometers instead of miles? I would like to do so for a road rally that is laid out in kilometers.

Not 4N

Tungsten GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 5, 2006
Calgary AB
Why?

Just take your GPS and set it to km.

:cheers
Trent

H

HHGT

Plot/print a Kilometer scale on mylar and overlay it on your speedo. When your done, just peel it and throw it away. I did this years ago on a grey market 230SL and worked great.

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
SF Bay Area in California
You can scale the tire size in a custom tune to trick the system into Km. Note that everything will be scaled up included your odometer reading. Also the tune has values in it that depend on speed for idle control, coasting fuel shutoff, etc that may be adversely affected by this change.

OzGT

GT Owner
Aug 21, 2006
South of Sydney, AUS
Does anyone know a way of temporarily changing the odometer to read kilometers instead of miles? I would like to do so for a road rally that is laid out in kilometers.

I just live with the miles. Main thing is that I can read the KMH on the speedo!

shelbyelite

PERMANENTLY BANNED
May 10, 2007
Your ford dealer can do it with there computer...

OzGT

GT Owner
Aug 21, 2006
South of Sydney, AUS
Your ford dealer can do it with there computer...

Hmmmmmm, I'd love to take my car into my good friends at the local Ford dealer(clients of my business) and ask them that... I can just imagine the look on their faces! Remember we are talk NZ + Australia here not North America. No way will the local Ford service computer talk to a US GT. They are extremely domestic focused like that, they balk at even the thought of doing diagnostics on imported Mustangs or F-series.

Last edited:

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State
Posts #2 or #3 would be the best - and LEAST HASSLE - ways to accomplish what you want. And you can do either w/o involving a 2nd party OR w/o messing with the car's 'peuters. Win/win deal all the way around. :thumbsup :cheers

shelbyelite

PERMANENTLY BANNED
May 10, 2007
He is wanting an ODOMETER to read in KILOs, NOT speedo. There for, post #2 and 3 wont be much help unless the GPS keeps up with distance traveled

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State
MY BAD!!!!!:slap

For some reason, THAT minor lil' fact didn't register!:willy

FLY GT40

GT Owner
Jul 14, 2006
So. Ca.
He is wanting an ODOMETER to read in KILOs, NOT speedo. There for, post #2 and 3 wont be much help unless the GPS keeps up with distance traveled

On my garmin 360 you can set the trip statistics page to kilomiters and it will give you speed in kilomiters per hour and trip distance in kilomiters just like the odomiter.:driving:

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
SF Bay Area in California
MY BAD!!!!!:slap

For some reason, THAT minor lil' fact didn't register!:willy

EP, you don't need an odometer, or speedo they alway read the same in Km or Miles! :lol

Gimbal

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Jan 11, 2007
Queenstown, New Zealand
Thanks for the feedback. No GPS units allowed and no US Ford dealers here in NZ. My big concern was as Blackice said that other engine parameters would be affected by changing the tire diameter to output km's instead of miles. Doggonit I guess I'll just have to convert all the rally notes to miles every nite.

kmillen

Jan 29, 2007
Thanks for the feedback. No GPS units allowed and no US Ford dealers here in NZ. My big concern was as Blackice said that other engine parameters would be affected by changing the tire diameter to output km's instead of miles. Doggonit I guess I'll just have to convert all the rally notes to miles every nite.

You have an email...

Sorry about the bad news on this. If it makes you feel any better I'll be spending every night in my hotel room going through the route book as well.

See you in a couple days!

RALPHIE

GT Owner
Mar 1, 2007
Kyle & Gimbal - have a great time & come back with the trophies!

:thumbsup :cheers :thumbsup