Center console Arm Rest removal

AlHensling

GT Owner
Apr 18, 2010
Irvine, CA
How do you remove armrest pad from center console?

shelbyelite

PERMANENTLY BANNED
May 10, 2007
Its just held on by metal clips
Should be able to pop it off. Just be careful getting under it as you dont want to scratch the silver paint on your console.

TO AWSUM

Ford GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 4, 2007
Niceville FL
I would suggest you use the search function on this Forum. Shadowman provided a very detailed explanation with pictures on how to remove it.

Here's what Shadowman sent to me:

The center console is removed as follows;

Blue tape around the stereo, around the protruded started button bezel, and along the edges which are approx 45 degree angles where the center console and the center of the dash have a seam line.

Then remove the leather trim panel in-between the seats; 3 Torx on each side; NBD

Then remove the black side panels that are along side of the seats; it is simply secured with 5-6 Velcro squares 1” x 1” every 6-8 “ along the top as such a credit card or ? works well and once you get once free slide your finger and pop one loose at a time. Rest assured that the panel is TUFF and you will not cause any damage. Once the Velcro is freed the panel simply sits in a receiver slot all along the bottom

Then tape around the e-brake bezel, the handle, and it will pull nearly straight up; not at an angle as it appears. It is secured with nothing more than 4 metal pressure clips so it may feel more ominous than it is; once it begins to come up it is easy. Remove the shifter knob; loosen the nut and spin it off careful not to drop it. You DONOT remove the e-brake handle but rather it is lifted into the max park position and you will be removing only the rectangular bezel around its base which is secured with 4 pressure clips

Once this is all completed… refer to my instructions the console will ultimately be lifted over the e-brake handle

We are almost there.

Now remove the 4 Torx on both sides that secure the center console in place

Now it helps to have a small 4”-6” piece of 2x4 block for the next step.

Slide the seats all the way back and raise the e-brake handle all the way; max brake

Now from the driver side lift the back of the center console and use the block of wood to prop it up (the front will still be in place however you will be creating an angle out of the center console) as you need to look under the switch portion of the center console where there is a electrical connector. You need to press the detent and it will come apart easy. Once this is done now you need to sit in the driver seat and simply lift the back of the console and pull it way from the dash an inch or two at the same time and then you can lift the front over the e-brake and the shifter shaft and “wholla” you now can simply point it out of the car and slide it and yourself out as an assembly. Now if you have a second pair of hands you could remain seated and simply slide it out.

Jer once you have completed the process you will realize that it is not difficult; it simply requires a bit of finesse so as not to cause any secondary damage aka scratches …. Let blue tape be your friend

There are no hidden clips or items of concern

Installation of the center console is easy; to make sure the shifter boot is in place before putting it on and I always have the deadening material tucked into position under the console prior to setting it in place and then once in rough position I plug in the connector and reach around under the console and make any minor adjustments of the sound deadening material and then slide the console into position. Sometimes you will have to pull the edge of the center console out a bit (very slight you will see) to clear the clips otherwise NBD. Once the center console is in place……. 4 Torx on each side…….. black panels…….. e-brake bezel…… shifter knob……… leather center trim by means of the 6 Torx …….. remove tape…… find something cool to place in the center cubby…… and then smile…..

All the best

Bill aka Shadowman

Last edited:

Kip Ewing

CF Vendor
Mark II Lifetime
Feb 23, 2007
Suburban Detroit
If anyone wants details instructions with photos, please PM me with your email address, and I will send instructions.

AlHensling

GT Owner
Apr 18, 2010
Irvine, CA
Thank you for the informaton.

nota4re

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 15, 2006
Just to be clear, the black OEM arm pad CAN be removed without the removal of the entire console.

AlHensling

GT Owner
Apr 18, 2010
Irvine, CA
And how is that done?

Aug 25, 2006
And how is that done?

The black pad is secured with metal press in retainers however unlike others I will not attempt to remove them without first lifting the rear of the center console and then pushing the retainers free.

Yes you could tape the magnesium center console and then use a plastic wedge tool however the paint on the center console is prone to coming off with the tape and if you cause cosmetic damage then process to repaint the center console can be expensive. Who knows; you may be lucky …. Are you feeling lucky?

I live in the world of assessing and then reducing risk and since I know there is a risk of cosmetic damage as such I lift the rear of the center console which on a bad day takes 30 minutes = no risk = happy successful project.
PM me and I will gladly walk you through the process
Takes care

Shadowman

nota4re

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 15, 2006
AlHensling - I agree with Shadowman that you don't want to take any risks of damaging the car. This is true for most owners I suspect and an imperative for us that work on the cars of others. Of course, Shadowman's description is accurate with respect to the stiff metal retainers securing the pad. Some are stiffer than others. If you are unsuccessful to "pry" up the console carefully using your fingers, then the console should be removed - using the write up originally supplied by Shadowman. Bill is a genius for being able to work autonomously (block of wood example) but mere mortals like me prefer to have two people - one on either side of the car to watch/lift/remove the console.