Cell Phones...What do ya got!!

skyrex

FORD GT OWNER
Mark II Lifetime
Apr 11, 2008
Lake Las Vegas, Henderson, NV
Overdue for a new cell phone and wondering what is out there that people like. Saw Bony's cellphone pics from C&C yesterday and realize how bad my camera phone is in my 2 and 1/2 year old Razr. I have Verizon so phone has to work with them. Basically looking for a phone with good reception (I always love when you ask a sales person that and they say they all get the same reception...NOT), and that has an above average camera. Not much of a surf the net/e-mail from phone guys and have never sent a text.

So my question is what do you like/what do you got? :cheers

H

HHGT

I have tried them all and at almost 50 years of age, the following became high on the list.

1. No PDA touch Screen Crap
2. Large Font outgoing and incoming. Tired of reaching for glasses
3. Fit in pocket comfortably with a seriously loud ringer
4. Five (5) plus hours of talk time
5. Rapid recharge
6. Blue tooth is nice with the new CA laws

S592R

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Dec 3, 2006
Apple iPhone .... ..... its more mobile office when you tinker with it ..would rather have than black berry.

SYCO GT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Sep 9, 2006
California
I have the Blackberry Curve. Very nice interface and email. Voice quality okay but not exceptional. About $50 (after rebate) from the Verizon store with multiple offers and a $50 rebate.

Tempted to swap it for the iPhone that is coming July 11th. I am still under 30 day trial period. I've had 3 Palm Treo's over the past 5 years, and I like the Blackberry better.

Last edited by a moderator:

B O N Y

MODERATOR & FGT OWNER
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 5, 2005
Fresno, Ca.
I have the Blackberry Curve. Very nice interface and email. Voice quality okay but not exceptional. About $50 (after rebate) from the Verizon store with multiple offers and a $50 rebate.

Tempted to swap it for the iPhone that is coming July 11th. I am still under 30 day trial period. I've had 3 Palm Treo's over the past 5 years, and I like the Blackberry better.

Our CIO is ready now to accept the IPhone on our enterprise server, until recently he had serious security concerns. I have tried one, my issue is that I type on the Blackberry during all my waking ours, basically have the screen memorized by touch. The IPhone does not have the buttons and you have to look at the device while typing. I have seen another touch screen that actually vibrates when you click each letter. Meanwhile, I am waiting for the new Blackberry Bold due out next month

S592R

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Dec 3, 2006
The screen on the iphone is a qwerty keyboard and gets very easy to use very quickly. Sometimes the spell check is a little intrusive but it learns your quirks also. Overall the iPhone is very user friendly and when you part ways with the PC it becomes more liberating than any of the other systems that I have used (Blackberry, Palm, etc) basically if you use some of the new software that is out now the iphone becomes a small PC that you take with you. Its a virtual office on your hip. :thumbsup:thumbsup

I check 11 different email accounts and carry files (excel, word, etc) to meetings. Use the link to down load into desktops and print. Also use the video function for movies and of course the ipod function. New phones have gps ....

No I don't work for apple ... just really love the phone and yes as Bony said for enterprise systems there was an issue but about 7 months ago that hole got plugged. I never tie to an enterprise system with mine ... rather use my laptop for that type of work due to the size of files that I have to access. So used in scope the phone is a true technological innovation ... or at least soon will be when more "open" software comes on line.

skyrex

FORD GT OWNER
Mark II Lifetime
Apr 11, 2008
The screen on the iphone is a qwerty keyboard and gets very easy to use very quickly. Sometimes the spell check is a little intrusive but it learns your quirks also. Overall the iPhone is very user friendly and when you part ways with the PC it becomes more liberating than any of the other systems that I have used (Blackberry, Palm, etc) basically if you use some of the new software that is out now the iphone becomes a small PC that you take with you. Its a virtual office on your hip. :thumbsup:thumbsup

I check 11 different email accounts and carry files (excel, word, etc) to meetings. Use the link to down load into desktops and print. Also use the video function for movies and of course the ipod function. New phones have gps ....

No I don't work for apple ... just really love the phone and yes as Bony said for enterprise systems there was an issue but about 7 months ago that hole got plugged. I never tie to an enterprise system with mine ... rather use my laptop for that type of work due to the size of files that I have to access. So used in scope the phone is a true technological innovation ... or at least soon will be when more "open" software comes on line.

Man, I occasionally think how time consuming my business is but after reading your post I realize how good I have it. I don't know what you do but I got tired just thinking about 11 e-mail accounts! :lol

gtinmyblood

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 23, 2007
Mesa Az/Aspen Co
The Iphone is the easiest to use interface that I have seen so far and I have seen plenty. However they shorted the user of some functionality that I see as essential to my needs:

The camera is just a snap shot, no flash, no zoom, no video.

You cannot recieve or send MMS messages. You have to use the email fintions to send a pic, and if someone send you an mms you get a txt that sends you to a web site called viewmymessage.com and gives you a random generated user name and password that I can never remember by the time I get the web site up. Then you get a tiny picture that you cannot save to your computer. Frustrating as hell.

You are trapped into the Itunes interface for downloads. This gives limited functionality to manage pics, sounds and video on the iphone.

Many of the videos that I have in Itunes work there but fail when transferred to the iphone (If they transfer at all.)

Great tool! They shortcutted on some essential functions.

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State
Amazin' izzunit?

They call these things "cell PHONES". Yet everybody seems to be using 'em for everything BUT! It appears that if these things can't do everything from acting as a mobile office to changing one's diapers an' burpin' ya - THE THING'S A LOOSER! :rofl:rofl:rofl

All I wanted was a C.P. that made calls, rec'd 'em - and took messages. That was it. Period. Well, at least that was the plan. The simplest cell Verizon had available turned out to be a device that, if I'm not careful, MAY end up sending missiles to Russia...and take pictures of me doing it. :tap: :bored

skyrex

FORD GT OWNER
Mark II Lifetime
Apr 11, 2008
Amazin' izzunit?

They call these things "cell PHONES". Yet everybody seems to be using 'em for everything BUT! It appears that if these things can't do everything from acting as a mobile office to changing one's diapers an' burpin' ya - THE THING'S A LOOSER! :rofl:rofl:rofl

All I wanted was a C.P. that made calls, rec'd 'em - and took messages. That was it. Period. Well, at least that was the plan. The simplest cell Verizon had available turned out to be a device that, if I'm not careful, MAY end up sending missiles to Russia...and take pictures of me doing it. :tap: :bored

Agreed!! I work out of my home so my cell sits in the car and is a necessary evil :devil so I can always be accessible.

I feel like I need to got back to college and get a doctorate to be able to figure out some of the phones I have looked at. :lol

Someday when I retire I am going to turn on my phone twice a day for messages and :party the rest of the day due to the fact I no longer will have to be available to the world at large.

Okay, maybe not realistic to ditch my cell in the wired world but I say dare to dream...:cheers

Kayvan

GT Owner
Jul 13, 2006
$4.99 Virgin Mobile/Kyocera...size of a small matchbox

Its basically disposable with no contract; reload it with minutes cards $20-200 @18c/m

Its email compatible; and has an animation menu system.

plus you only pay sales tax for cards, not all that FCC, line, surcharge, fed, etc fees

B O N Y

MODERATOR & FGT OWNER
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 5, 2005
Fresno, Ca.
Another issue I have with the Iphone is that I will rundown my Blackberry battery by midday, then slip another battery in which will carry me through the balance of the day.
Can't do that with the new IPhone. Until they resolve that issue, I really can't consider it.

Mark06GT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
I don't have one and don't want one. I spent too many years with people calling and paging me at all hours of the day. It burned me out and kept me from doing the things I really wanted to do.

(Even though my background is software engineering, I consider myself to be a bit of a Luddite.)

andymlow

GT Owner
May 17, 2007
Sarasota, FL
iPhone. I love it. Only issue I have is some lack of features which should appear soon. I miss not being able to search the contact list, or the calendar. Had a cracked screen after a drop as well. Would not consider going back to the Treo.

S592R

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Dec 3, 2006
Iphone recharges in 5-10 minutes from wall charger. DC charger in car does it less than 30 minutes both from almost completely dead.

I agree about some of the features but those issues are being fixed in the aftermarket. The iphone is now open source ... so its a computer on your waste.

Blue tooth works incredibly well in the BMW .. many people never know I am in the car.

OK Mr. Jobs where is my endorsement check? :lol:lol:lol

ATM empty

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Jul 10, 2006
Southern California
Have you seen the new "Office Depot" Hand Free device yet?

Attachments

• Hands free adapter.jpg
    Hands free adapter.jpg
    66.1 KB · Views: 25

skyrex

FORD GT OWNER
Mark II Lifetime
Apr 11, 2008
Thanks to everyone for the input. Have to get something new by next week so I can be hands free (hopefully not like pictured above :lol) before the new laws hit CA on the 1st. Post the final decision next week. :cheers

S592R

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Dec 3, 2006
Have you seen the new "Office Depot" Hand Free device yet?

Must have option!!! I wonder if it comes in different sizes?