CEL: Getting CEL related to minor vapor leak. Can't locate it.

speedyabi

GT Owner
Nov 18, 2015
Just picked up a Silver/Grey 2006 Ford GT with 7K miles.

After a few days the CEL light came on. My mechanic has diagnosed it down to a small vapor leak. They ran smoke tests but can't resolve the issue. Anyone have any similar in the past? The only thing we know was the fuel filler cap was replaced once in prior's owner's care.

thanks!

Howard

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 26, 2007
Florida/North Jersey
What is the Error Code?

Howard

speedyabi

GT Owner
Nov 18, 2015
Error code: T0456 Very small evap leak!

GT101

*UK Support*
Supporting Vendor
Jan 20, 2010
Colchester, Essex, UK
Small evap leak is 9 times out of 10 filler neck - having been replaced doesn't mean it won't happen again. It's not the most robust design. We've seen that the flap (below the sliding gate) can struggle to seal against the rubber. Slide the gate open and push the flap open a lot of times and see if it seats every time it closes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: Natee

soroush

Ford Gt Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 8, 2007
sounds like a filler neck problem, lots of discussion here about that do a search you should be able to find what you are looking for.

Awsum GT

GT Owner '18
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 17, 2005
Carmel & Cntrl Ca
most likely unrelated, but we found a small vapor leak on my GT a year or two back... apparently happened when they installed my butterfly doors. It looked like the had trouble getting the door bracket to fit properly next to the filler neck under the right fender. It looked like they used a crowbar to make room and by doing so bent the filler neck. We had to replace it (with a few adjustments) and the filler cap and all issues went away.

nota4re

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 15, 2006
Yes, almost certainly the fuel filler neck. Before going crazy to replace, open up the fuel door and using your finger, fiddle with the horizontally sliding "seal" and see if you can get it to seat properly. You have about a 10% chance that this will help, but it's worth a shot.

Reactions: Natee