CC Wheel for GT

cobrar1339

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Feb 2, 2006
Diamond Bar, Ca
"800HP?, slicks?, Ford?, holy %$#@!".

When you see it like that on the side of the car and the sound. :eek

I guess we take some things for granted here on this lowly Ford site.

Just when he was trying to figure out how to use launch control, you give him a rev and the passenger reads the side logo. I just picture the driver acting like he was reaching for something instead, then switching the CD track.

Moments in time....Geez Ferrari chat will have tales to tell.

Good story:thumbsup, nice touch. Logo works well with the Heritage theme.

STORMCAT

GT
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
May 25, 2006
Ft. Lauderdale
Cobra R - thanks for the fun to think about calculations! The weights were for the CCW with Goodyear Eagle slicks vs the OEM with Goodyear F1 Supercars. My OEM wheels are the BBS snowflake ones. I think the OEM star wheels may weigh slighly more. I have 724 rwhp & my Mac sub woof speaker is gone with no replacement speaker. Better yet! Watch out Veyron!

Stormcat - are you close to CC Wheels in FL? John seemed like a nice person on the phone. Sure knows wheels. Here are the sizes:

Goodyear Eagle road race slicks front: 25.5 x 10.5 - 18
(G-19 sports car radials?) rear: 28.0 x 12.5 - 18

To increase the selection of rubber the rear wheels are 18" instead of the OEM 19". There is a slight overall tire/wheel size difference. The slicks are slightly larger in profile but not enough for the 1" wheel difference. It's not much. I haven't weighed the CCWs without the tires but I will someday. John at CCW would know. The slicks are $200 each.

Ed

Ed ,
Have you had you car on the scales to set your corner weights? Will you run the Good Year's on the street? Thanks for sharing all of your wheel expierements...

analogdesigner

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Nov 15, 2005
San Clemente, CA USA
Dave,

Looks really great!

Jay
GTsaver

HeritageBruce

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Mar 13, 2006
Southern CA
When I had mine corner balanced:
LF-784 RF-769
LR-1027 RF-910
Without adjustable sway bar end links, that was the best the shop could do.
That's 3490 pounds with 1/2 tank of gas, X Pipe, Optional wheels.
Weight distribution is 44 1/2% Front to 55 1/2% Rear.

Red Rocket

GT Owner
Aug 31, 2006
Pacific North West
Yep, that's why I had a custom matching sticker set made using the 800HP number (conservative) instead of the RWHP, because when they mention HP numbers, it's almost always flywheel HP. I just love it when the planets align like they did today. This afternoon I was out slow cruising down PCH with my wife minding my own business when an F430 pulled up to a stoplight on the left side of me, and the driver "gunned" the motor so I could hear his "Tubi" exhaust. His passenger then made some kind of smart remark about "It's a Ford", and then looked away like I was driving something not "up to his standards". I then proceeded to tap the throttle on my FRPP rear exit header setup. His passenger almost broke his neck snapping it back around to take a second look at my car. He then pointed out to the driver what was written on the side of my car, and the driver got this blank whitish look on his face. My wife and I simply smiled and waived in a friendly manner and drove away. As we were pulling away, my wife noticed they were saying something to each other that looked like; "800HP?, slicks?, Ford?, holy %$#@!".

Great story - love the decals too.

Friend of mine was driving his stock GT when a Viper pulled up at the stoplight. The Viper guy yells at him, "Bet I can kick your ass - I have 700 horsepower with a supercharger". My buddy does the math and realizes there's no way he has that much so he ignores him. So the Viper guy revs his motor drops the clutch and it lets out a little chirp. They meet up at the next stoplight and my buddy says, "That was a pretty lame burnout - do you want to see what a real car can do?" Then he lights up the tires and leaves the Viper guy choking in smoke. Satisfaction. :thumbsup

Dr. Ed, love what you have done with your car. It would be great if you could post pictures or better yet video of your TH exploits. BTW, Rod Millen offfered to show me around TH once but I haven't had a chance to take him up on his offer. He is approachable if you are interested. He did "The One" driving there.

trackmeister

GT Owner
Jan 19, 2007
Ed your car looks great and I bet it is a monster on the track. What suspension changes have you made to go along with the slicks?

Ed Sims

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 7, 2006
NorCal
Ed's GT mods

Trackmeister - Ich liebe deutsche Worter! I have the T&A Penskes (3 way adjustable with remotes) with the street/track springs. Fantastic setup for the track & hardcore road. T&A can be reached by PM'ing Alex Szilagyi via this forum. I can't use 2nd on the track because of wheel spin & my poor foot control. It's really too much hp for the track for most people, including me, but what a great problem to have! It handles awesome.

Red Rocket - I'll try to get some video of me at future events. There are a few YouTube ones of me including one at T-hill. I have posted detailed info of my mods but to summarize: CC Wheels with Goodyear R19 radial slicks, 19 lb Whipple SC with Shadowman/HP tune, Safecraft engine compartment fire suppression system, Crow harness-Brey Krause brackets from Livermore Performance, Ida cat-back exhaust (unbelievable original GT40 race sound), SVT brake rotors/hats, T&A Penske shocks, GT Guys rear bumper delete + rear tow eyelet, Mac sub-woof speaker delete, Ford trans oil cooler, Accufab t-body-inlet stiffner-coolant hose stiffners, Ford short throw shifter & some cool stickers.

Stormcat - I have my OEM wheels with the OEM Goodyears on for the street right now. I ran the CC Wheels with Goodyear slicks for 200 street miles & it was fine (wet & road hazards wouldn't be fun for the slicks though). Before my Whipple my weights were: LF 701 RF 781 LR 976 RR 948 Total = 3406 lbs empty tank Front 43.5% Rear 56.5%

Ed

Red Rocket

GT Owner
Aug 31, 2006
Pacific North West
Ed can you tell us under what name the track videos are posted? I did a search but can't find them. thanks again.

Ed Sims

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 7, 2006
NorCal
YouTube GT vids

Red Rocket - Race Deck's thread on Miller Motorsports under GT Racing has his YouTube link & later in the thread I posted a link to mine. Mine was called Ford GT at Thunderhill Track Day I believe. Both of our vids show our GTs blowing by other cars. There is also one of my GT at the Rally that was taken from inside duirng the autoX.

Ed

Red Rocket

GT Owner
Aug 31, 2006
Pacific North West
Gotcha Ed, thanks. Quite a variety of cars on the track! I wonder how many passing zones were allowed. Also, I'd be interested to know your best mph at end of the TH straight and what you found to be the right speed to take turn 1 at. Thanks (pm me if you prefer)

Ed Sims

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 7, 2006
NorCal
Open Track

Red Rocket - Most of the groups that run at Thunderhill allow passing, in my run group, on all the straights. I like the ones that allow passing on the straights but only with a point-by. If everyone pays attention this is the best.

I looked very quickly at the speedo as the bracking markers came up. I was in 4th around 140 mph when I hit the brakes. I just shove down on the brake pedal until I feel it's ok, blip the gas, go into 3rd, late apex Turn 1 & floor it until 2. It must be around 100 mph but I can't tell. It always seems faster than it is. Black Ice will have his Drift Box & he will be getting tons of info at our Oct 5 Open Track. Cannibal & Mousecatcher will also be there. We'll report here afterwards. Stay tuned - same Bat Channel, same Bat Time!

Ed "If you remember the sixties, you weren't really there"

Red Rocket

GT Owner
Aug 31, 2006
Pacific North West
Thanks. That 1 is a tricky corner as you are carrying so much speed its easy to cross the line. I've seen a few guys put it off the outside into the hill. FYI Rod Millen told me his best laps in the GT for The One had him at 150 before braking for 1. I found in my 997 that if I took 15 as a constant radius turn with just a small lift in the middle to re-balance the car then I could get the maximum out of the straight. Is that how you approach 15?

Ed Sims

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 7, 2006
NorCal
T-hill Turn #15

Red Rocket - I've tried Turn 15 at Thunderhill as a constant radius & as 2 turns. It's my toughest one on the track. I've gone off & airborne at Turn 1 in my 500 hp Fox chassis T-Bird. Wild ride but came to rest on all 4 (with enough dirt/mud in the cockpit to landscape a small yard)! I drive the GT at 7/10 & feel safe. I feel if I pushed it to 9/10 on my slicks I could slip under 2.00 min but I'm not willing to get even 2 wheels off. I'm happy enjoying the scenery & blowing by all the Ferraris.

Ed

Last edited:

Red Rocket

GT Owner
Aug 31, 2006
Pacific North West
Yes 15 is tricky for sure on exit. There's not much asphalt on that corner! Once I went wide just a bit and because so many guys had done that before me there is a rut there with quite a drop off. In my Porsche I hooked the front tire in that rut and it jerked the car sideways. That was a close call because if you get into trouble there, there's that damn pit wall!

I hope to meet up with you down there sometime Ed. Enjoy!

Red Rocket

GT Owner
Aug 31, 2006
Pacific North West
oops, correction - my memory is failing. To be precise Mr. Millen told me that when on a hot lap he was usually maxxed out in 3rd gear at the end of the straight and just nudging into 4th, doing about 140 MPH. BTW he also said that every time he was leaving the pits a number of Ford execs would come over to remind him the car was the only one they had for filming and they begged him not to wreck it! He had amazing car control, esp. the first day which was shot in the foggy conditions when it must have been pretty slippery. TH is a great track all round.

Ed Sims

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 7, 2006
NorCal
Rod Millen at T-hill

Red Rocket - I love the GT commercial with Rod Millen at T-hill. He drifts like there are a few spare GTs waiting to replace the one he is tossing around on the track! Too cool.

Any GT pilot can hit 135-140 mph on the T-hill straight between turn 15 & 1. Come out of 15 at any speed in 3rd & punch it. Shift to 4th at the tower/finish line & slam on the brakes at the first or 2nd brake marker you come to for 1. You can take 1 at whatever speed you're comfortable with. You have to trust the car & brakes but it's a thrill no doubt! Uh, just don't early apex it.

Ed

Red Rocket

GT Owner
Aug 31, 2006
Pacific North West
... Uh, just don't early apex it.Ed

Gotcha. I saw a Carrera GT with an inexperienced piloto early apex 1 going way too fast and he became the world's most expensive potato plow. Not too pretty when you take a nice shiny black car and cover it in dust and weeds! The instructor made him switch to his 500SL after that, going 1/2 speed.